follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
Silverdub
Boostin'

Drives: FRS-T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
boost issue.. hummm

so i built my setup using what was called a 10spi actuator for my internally gated turbo. the first thing i did was to test it on the bench, in case they made a mistake and sent either a 5psi or 15psi actuator. on the bench, the rod started moving at 7.5psi, the gate would be halft open at 8 and fully at 10psi, great that what i asked for, but in practice it besing half open at 8 would only make me boost 8 and not reach 10.. perfect, that is exactly what i wanted!

well tonight i got the chance too look at my gauges properly while driving, or the wife did..try anyways... i am sure that i ve seen 8psi 2 days ago, but tonight it did hit 6 but its holding 5... funny thing is it should even be open at that point. i rechecked all of my hoses, connections couplers, piping etc, everything is fine! i checked the actuator for some play and if its opened a bit on idle and its not...

should i try to tighten the actuator rod a bit more, maybe the tension will solve this and bring up the boost a bit or is my only solution to go with a boost controller... 5psi is not enough but not at all...
Silverdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdub View Post
so i built my setup using what was called a 10spi actuator for my internally gated turbo. the first thing i did was to test it on the bench, in case they made a mistake and sent either a 5psi or 15psi actuator. on the bench, the rod started moving at 7.5psi, the gate would be halft open at 8 and fully at 10psi, great that what i asked for, but in practice it besing half open at 8 would only make me boost 8 and not reach 10.. perfect, that is exactly what i wanted!

well tonight i got the chance too look at my gauges properly while driving, or the wife did..try anyways... i am sure that i ve seen 8psi 2 days ago, but tonight it did hit 6 but its holding 5... funny thing is it should even be open at that point. i rechecked all of my hoses, connections couplers, piping etc, everything is fine! i checked the actuator for some play and if its opened a bit on idle and its not...

should i try to tighten the actuator rod a bit more, maybe the tension will solve this and bring up the boost a bit or is my only solution to go with a boost controller... 5psi is not enough but not at all...
Several things here.

As you go to a higher RPM, you should see more boost. Boost functions with engine load, so the more load you put on the engine, the more boost you'll see. I see 7.5 in 2nd, ~8.5 in 3rd almost 9 in 4th, so maybe you are looking at different gears and different loads?

You can adjust the preload on the spring and it should help a bit.Try a bit more than half the hole of preload.

Are you using any type of MBC or is the line directly from the compressor to the Wastegate?

Oh one last thing, the vaccum signal should come from the compressor, not from the intake manifold.

Edit: second last thing! When on the bench, you will have to apply more pressure than it will be required when the turbo is installed in the car. This is because the exhaust gases themselves preload the WG with about 3psi of pressure. So that means that if in the bench it started opening at 8, you can safely subtract 3 psi (the 3 psi the exhaust gases will be pushing already) and that is the pressure that will be needed to open the WG.

I hope I made myself clear because I think I didn't

Last edited by Sportsguy83; 04-26-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
Silverdub
Boostin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Several things here.

As you go to a higher RPM, you should see more boost. Boost functions with engine load, so the more load you put on the engine, the more boost you'll see. I see 7.5 in 2nd, ~8.5 in 3rd almost 9 in 4th, so maybe you are looking at different gears and different loads?

You can adjust the preload on the spring and it should help a bit.Try a bit more than half the hole of preload.

Are you using any type of MBC or is the line directly from the compressor to the Wastegate?

Oh one last thing, the vaccum signal should come from the compressor, not from the intake manifold.
in which ever gear i peak 6psi with full load on. i ll try a bit more tension on the actuator rod.. also the vaccum cannot come from the compressor, there is no vaccum in the turbo, vaccum is only created after the throttlebody, but boost is even at the copressor or after the throttlebody, my vacuum/boostgauge is hokked up on my BOV which is hooked up on the brakebooster vacuum line.. before the builtin check valve obviously

also, the actuator is directy hooked up to the turbine housing, nothing in between.

i ll go out right away anf test with a bit more tension, brb in 10 minutes brah! lol

Old 04-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
in which ever gear i peak 6psi with full load on. i ll try a bit more tension on the actuator rod.. also the vaccum cannot come from the compressor, there is no vaccum in the turbo, vaccum is only created after the throttlebody, but boost is even at the copressor or after the throttlebody, my vacuum/boostgauge is hokked up on my BOV which is hooked up on the brakebooster vacuum line.. before the builtin check valve obviously

also, the actuator is directy hooked up to the turbine housing, nothing in between.

i ll go out right away anf test with a bit more tension, brb in 10 minutes brah! lol

I knew I didn't make myself clear. What I meant was exactly your setup. The vaccum input to the WG actuator coming out of the compressor directly. The gauge is correctly installed like you have it. I would recommend a Vaccum manifold to make it a bit cleaner, but its not necessary at all.

Also, my "gear by boost" condition is helped because I have an MBC installed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Silverdub (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
Silverdub
Boostin'

its a bit tighter, now im holding 6...hummm im thinking the actuator got softer with using since new...
Old 04-26-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
its a bit tighter, now im holding 6...hummm im thinking the actuator got softer with using since new...

I see an MBC in your near future!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Silverdub (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
Deadspool
Much title. Wow.

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
If you had 8psi a few days ago, Im willing to bet its a boost leak.

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html

This is a required tool for anyone equipped with a turbo who wants to be certain they are getting the proper performance out of their kit.
Deadspool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
Deadspool
Much title. Wow.

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
I see an MBC in your near future!!

If he had 8 psi, and one day lost two, I'd be more inclined to find out what happened before adding a fun knob.
Deadspool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deadspool For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
Silverdub
Boostin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadspool View Post
If you had 8psi a few days ago, Im willing to bet its a boost leak.

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html

This is a required tool for anyone equipped with a turbo who wants to be certain they are getting the proper performance out of their kit.

i have one of those.... but its at work got to wait till monday
Old 04-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
Silverdub
Boostin'

for sure im getting a boost controller in the near future.. thing is i only have access to 94 octane, no e85 available here, so 8psi is my limit due to compression, but next winter im going low compression so im going to need a MBC.. i said i saw 8 but i might of been wrong, i just just got the tune that day its was 10pm on a monday and i did 1-2 pulls, since then i only checked it out tonight
Old 04-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #11
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
for sure im getting a boost controller in the near future.. thing is i only have access to 94 octane, no e85 available here, so 8psi is my limit due to compression, but next winter im going low compression so im going to need a MBC.. i said i saw 8 but i might of been wrong, i just just got the tune that day its was 10pm on a monday and i did 1-2 pulls, since then i only checked it out tonight
Get injectors and fuel pump, you can go up to 14, I'd say safely 10-12. I will be running at the end of the day most probably 12 psi on 93 oct.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #12
WatchmaN

Drives: the girls crazy
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
No you had 8, I remember.
Vortech SC(314hp/226tq), Perrin pully, Tanabe strut tower bar, Perrin exhaust, LP Tune, hsd coilovers, DTC-60 fr, hp+rear),track rubber RS3 and Continental :-), Forester oem oil cooler,Custom brake cooling kit. Driveway lab rear diffuser, Wasp front spliter, TRD canard/fenders.
WatchmaN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WatchmaN For This Useful Post:
Silverdub (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #13
Silverdub
Boostin'

Quote:
Get injectors and fuel pump, you can go up to 14, I'd say safely 10-12. I will be running at the end of the day most probably 12 psi on 93 oct.
o really... i ll shoot John an email about it, if he confirms, im ordering those injectors and fuekl pump next week.... i need more power.. my wife wont understand it but i know you guys do

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silverdub For This Useful Post:
nix (04-27-2013), Sportsguy83 (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #14
Silverdub
Boostin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchmaN View Post
No you had 8, I remember.
it feels just as fast as it did, also because the tune is learning im guessing, imagine with the extra 2psi.. i need it so bad

maybe the actuator got hot and the spring soft, man im gonna have problems sleeping now! i need to figure it out and get more boost