follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
xravexboix

Drives: 12 Camry Hybrid on 19" RE30
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to xravexboix
Discusion Thread for Management Visit

Info thread here: www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=339961

Please only post commentary here. Post any actual concerns OR "THANKS" on the original thread-- unless you're thanking someone here
xravexboix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
celicafan

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Do they also want feedback for suggestions/changes/additional features for next model?
celicafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
Nepenthe

Drives: 2013 Argento Silver Automatic FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Are they looking for the things we really like that they shouldn't change, or just the things we don't like?
Nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Here's some commentary: I think it's great that there is an active dialogue between this enthusiast community and the manufacturer. :happy0180:
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bestwheelbase For This Useful Post:
Memphis (08-01-2012), ruskymx (08-01-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
larryw

Drives: -
Noob question, but how do you "thank" a user for their reply?
larryw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to larryw For This Useful Post:
drei (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
drei

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt
bottom right of post
drei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
anteater86
Bo Ding!!

Drives: 2013 FR-S/Asphalt AT
I love how people almost immediately stray from the rules imposed by the OP in the "feedback" thread. Jeez.. This post is going STRAIGHT TO TOYOTA and this is an amazing opportunity to provide real feedback to the creator of our beloved car. Be wise, this is perhaps the most important thread in this forum.

Now for the rant...

I really wish people would stop complaining that the car is a Scion and not a Toyota. We all know dang well what the car truly is, but who cares? Acura is a Honda, etc. Be happy with this beautiful machine and stop giving a crap about what your lame-ass friends think. My friends think it sounds like a sewing machine (thanks to the chirp), but guess what? I don't give a damn.

Nothing pisses me off more than seeing BRAND NEW FR-S' and seeing the owners IMMEDIATELY de-badge it. Are you ashamed? Sorry bro, you don't have a Toyota 86, you have a Scion FR-S. You want a Toyota?? You'll have to pay for the brand. If this were a Toyota in the states, it'd be a hell of a lot more expensive. Also, the more options, the more money.

Sometimes I feel even fellow owners don't quite understand the bigger picture of what this whole FR-S project is about......
anteater86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to anteater86 For This Useful Post:
FRSjeff (08-05-2012), Hawaiian (08-05-2012), ngabdala (07-31-2012), virobloc (08-02-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anteater86 View Post
If this were a Toyota in the states, it'd be a hell of a lot more expensive. Also, the more options, the more money.
Sometimes I feel even fellow owners don't quite understand the bigger picture of what this whole FR-S project is about......
Not much more money. $28280 after destination. It's called the BRZ.
ngabdala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
anteater86
Bo Ding!!

Drives: 2013 FR-S/Asphalt AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngabdala View Post
Not much more money. $28280 after destination. It's called the BRZ.
It's also called a Subaru.

Not dissing Subies, just talking in terms of brand value/recognition.
anteater86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to anteater86 For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
Ricepuddin
Get a Bowl

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anteater86 View Post
I love how people almost immediately stray from the rules imposed by the OP in the "feedback" thread. Jeez.. This post is going STRAIGHT TO TOYOTA and this is an amazing opportunity to provide real feedback to the creator of our beloved car. Be wise, this is perhaps the most important thread in this forum.

Now for the rant...

I really wish people would stop complaining that the car is a Scion and not a Toyota. We all know dang well what the car truly is, but who cares? Acura is a Honda, etc. Be happy with this beautiful machine and stop giving a crap about what your lame-ass friends think. My friends think it sounds like a sewing machine (thanks to the chirp), but guess what? I don't give a damn.

Nothing pisses me off more than seeing BRAND NEW FR-S' and seeing the owners IMMEDIATELY de-badge it. Are you ashamed? Sorry bro, you don't have a Toyota 86, you have a Scion FR-S. You want a Toyota?? You'll have to pay for the brand. If this were a Toyota in the states, it'd be a hell of a lot more expensive. Also, the more options, the more money.

First off its my car, if I want to put a giant purple dildo in place of the Scion logo I will. If you don't like it don't look, it's pretty simple.

Secondly if it gets you this fired up, you may have some anger issues you need to deal with. I'd suggest running, or cross fit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Ricepuddin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricepuddin For This Useful Post:
Hanzo (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #11
kndonlee

Drives: FR-S
Owner of an FR-S automatic. I can be very nitpicky. Overall the car has been a great experience.

Would like to see the limited trim BRZ available as the FRS (but I already bought the car...unlikely that I would upgrade)

-Engine Performance (Feel, noises, etc)
The dip in torque from 3-4.5k is annoying for daily driving. I'd like the torque curve to be slightly more linear. I guess it's kind of how I liked driving my s2000. Since I'm usually shifting around 4k, the jerk of upshifting with the extra torque kicking in is fun initially, then gets annoying with time.

-Exhaust Sound Performance (Sound Quality)
Content with current setup.

-Transmission (Performance, Quality)
Auto transmission paddle shifters have too much paddle travel before "clicking". I prefer the paddle shifters on my 2010 Audi A3. I feel like there's too much play before you can get transmit your desire to shift, to actually clicking the shifter.

-Suspension (Feel, noise)
This may be steering feel, but under very quick back and forth jerking around, I've felt a bit of a delay in the steering wheel to the wheel actually getting there. This is probably a non-issue as jerking it that much

-Wind Noise (Areas you hear it, which speed you're at when hearing it)
Wind noise is surprisingly good overall for the little noise insulation the car has.

-Brakes (Noise, Performance, Pedal Feel)
Bad:
For daily driving, I feel like the brake pedal feel is either too soft or too hard. To get just the right amount of braking seems to require a bit of finessing the pedal, so my braking tends to be a jerky affair. I only have about ~4k miles, so it may need some breaking in?

Good: They are responsible and they are strong. I feel like I can stop when I need to. I'd not compromise braking ability for the aforementioned feel though. I think Hondas (Prior Integra,S2000 owner) have always had brake feel down very well.

-Steering (Feel, Aligned properly, car exhibit pulling left/right?)
Feels good. I did encounter one odd item which was a slight delay while jerking the wheel back and forth. It felt that the steering rack was delayed compared to the wheel position. However, it seems like using the steering wheel in a manner to incur this delay is highly unlikely unless under some extreme conditions.

-Highway Performance (Stability, Acceleration, Noise)
Highway feels pretty good. I'd give the edge to my prior VW/Audi (2000 Jetta, 2010 A3) cars for the planted feeling on the highway. If I'm going 100+, I don't want the car to be "too" responsive. At speeds below 100mph, it feels fine.

-Tire Performance (Wear, Noise, Handling)
The OEM Michelins seem grippy enough. I do prefer the Dunlop StarSpecs or Bridgestone RE01Rs when I had them on my s2000.

-Vehicle Handling (Alignment, Road-Handling, Stability)
Excellent

-Vibration (Steering Wheel, Pedals, Floor, Seat, etc)
Nothing to report here. Vibrations and such typically will rear their head after several years of break-in and use. After parts have been taken apart and put back together these things will show up. So there aren't many vibration fitment issues to report.

-Interior Parts/Panels (Fitment, gap, deformation, etc)
IMHO, Typical "cheap-feeling" japanese car plastics are used. However, it seems that the money was spent on the items that matter: Steering wheel & Shifter come to mind. Fitment is decent for parts, but definitely can tell that the interior trim was designed by engineers and not artists. I don't have the car in front of me offhand, but there's definitely a couple of spots here and there where you could fit a dime in-between adjoining trim pieces. For the most part, the items that you can see fit well with a good mid-range finish.

-Unusual Interior Noise (Squeaking, rattling, etc and location)
Nothing to report here.

-Front Seat Functionality
I continue to get the lumbar adjustment and the seat back and forth mixed up. I'd almost switch the 2 levels if it was an easy change to make. Otherwise the seats are excellent.

-Rear Seat Function (... troll question? haha)
These are great usable storage. Nothing to really change here.

-Exterior Parts/Panels (Fitment, Gap, Wheel/Tire Size, Design of Wheels, etc)
A+ ( still want the limited trim)

-Back Door (Trunk) Function
When having to use the keyhole, finding the keyhole is slightly annoying, but an acceptable trade off, for hiding the keyhole completely and using the remote, so I can't complain. I'd still like an easier access keyhole that's hidden.

-Interior Function (Visor, Mirrors, etc)
It'd be nice to have a mini visor that fills the gap between the rearview mirror. I suppose the black on the windshield is supposed to help that. Also there are some decent amounts of light that show through at sunrise/sunset

-HVAC (A/C/Heating System) Performance
Generally good. Air is cold, Heat is hot.

-Audio Equipment Performance
Excellent. Not a fan of the stock Bespoke radio. It feels cheap. Should've went standard with the Navigation. Personally, I've upgraded to an aftermarket radio. For the navigation units in the BRZ, it would help to have a slightly more recessed unit so there could be a shadow to hide glare during sunny days.

-Bluetooth Performance
N/A

-Center Cluster Switch usability
Very good.

-Other Electronic Switch function/usability

-Other Noise/Vibration
Not a fan of not having any dampening on the roof. When it rains, "tink tink tink tink tink" all above my head.

Would also like a little bit of dampening on the floor, so when going over gravel, you don't hear the "tink tink tinkalink tink tink" on the bottom of the car. That noise on the undercarriage also make a difference in confidence feel for the rain. The tires may be sticking, but the noise of water kicking up makes it very unnerving for the wife, though I'm okay with it.
kndonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kndonlee For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #12
kndonlee

Drives: FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Style View Post
The plastic in the inside gets scratched too easily, especially the door panels. Everyone knows what I'm talking about.
Agreeing with Style's post at: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...840#post351840
kndonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kndonlee For This Useful Post:
Style (08-01-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #13
Tanuki
Turtle Factory

Drives: Mint M3
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I think this is IMPORTANT.

I bought my car, and after paperwork was finished, we found that a portion of the frame in the trunk was damaged. The only fix offered by the dealership and TOYOTA, is to cut the section out of the car and have it replaced. My car had 10 miles on it when the damage was found, Cutting the car up to fix this doesn't seem like the best idea to me. I would honestly rather leave the damage then let a "Dealer Preferred" body shop touch the car. I don't even get to choose my own body shop for this? Really?

Can you tell me exactly what part of the QA process this was overlooked in? Should I be looking for other items like this on the car?

VS

Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote