follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-23-2018, 12:20 AM   #1
sroby

Drives: 2015 Firestorm 08/05/15
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ecutek won’t load updated firmware

I’ve have used my dongle cable 3 times in the past with no issues.
I had an engine check light come on. Got home plugged in the cable and my desk key. My Ecutek info is up to date. Was trying to read the code, and reset.
When I go to the drop down and click on read code or reset. I keep getting the window that says my firmware is not up to date. I have gone over the Ecutek tutorials on how to update the firmware. It’s relatively easy. When I click on ok I get the same message. It’s not recognizing my ecu or Frs/86 platform.
Has anybody had this happen before. I used it to flash my tune from Delicious tune. No problems last year or the last time I just chkd for codes.
I wasn’t aware you had to keep your firmware upgraded. Green light is on the dongle when plugged into my obd port. You can pull up my tune, read data logging. Everything appears to be normal, other than it won’t let me update its firmware. I’ve never dropped the unit I’ve treated it like gold as they are not cheap. Is there a way of trouble shooting the dongle? I am also outside the warranty. I found out from Zach today a replacement cable is 350.00 that’s insane. Any ideas would be appreciated as I am at a loss of how to move forward

Last edited by sroby; 06-23-2018 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Upload pics
sroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:44 AM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If the ecutek software runs and you get the ecuteknmenus up then the deskey is ok

if you plug in the ecutek obd cable andcthe red boxs in menu turn green its recognised ecutek obd cable.

connect to internet and let ecutek software update

then you shoul be ok

you will need to open the tune file you got from deliceous or a tune file of same calid so ecutek knows which car your trying to connect to and log
alternativly just try doing an auto detect vehicle xand query ecu

also try uinstalling ecutek software and re install or install on another computer
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:14 AM   #3
sroby

Steve, as always thx again partner. I’ll give it a shot this afternoon I’ll keep you posted. Best regards Steve Roby.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:56 PM   #4
sroby

Steve, I reinstalled the Ecutek software. Followed all the proper procedures. I’m getting the green lights up at the top right portion on the tune file. I have the green light indicating power on the cable, however when I hit query it tries to detect the ecu the green light on the cable at the obd port will flash from green to red ,then back to green. As it flashes that one red time is when the update firmware message pops up. So I know the tune is there and ok, the desk key is working, the cable appears to be working. What could prevent it from talking to the ecu.
As a side note I have a kiwi3 obd reader with torque app. I put it in play. It works perfectly. So I know it’s talking to the ecu with no problems I. E, it would research codes and clear them.
As I was telling yo7 earlier the car is operating perfectly , just boggling my mind as to why after the 3 previous plugins goog to go. This time trying to chk and clear a code I’m getting this updating firmware crap along with can’t detect the ecu now. Anything I’m missing?

I have a pic to try and send but when I go to try and attach it all I’m seeing on is manage files and jpegs. What the hell am I not doing right to even send a simple pic now on this forum? Just damn.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:41 AM   #5
steve99
Banned

You have vehicle ignition full ON not accessory but engine stopped ??

what if you manually select vehicle ??

if that doesn't work then put in a service request with ecutek they are very responsive I usually get reply in couple of hours if they are on duty
Old 06-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #6
sroby

Yessir, full ignition on. Even if you manually select it, immediately pops up cannot connect or locate ecu. Their engineer at Ecutek is going to do a remote with me here in my town of Dallas, Ga. I’m about 50 miles northeast of Atlanta Ga. They are 5 hrs ahead of us. So we hopefully have it lined up for tomorrow. He is suspect the cable might be the issue. But wants to remotely check the software. Hopefully it might be something with the program not the cable. I will keep you posted. Thx again partner.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:59 PM   #7
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroby View Post
Yessir, full ignition on. Even if you manually select it, immediately pops up cannot connect or locate ecu. Their engineer at Ecutek is going to do a remote with me here in my town of Dallas, Ga. I’m about 50 miles northeast of Atlanta Ga. They are 5 hrs ahead of us. So we hopefully have it lined up for tomorrow. He is suspect the cable might be the issue. But wants to remotely check the software. Hopefully it might be something with the program not the cable. I will keep you posted. Thx again partner.

Ok sounds good.

If you need a new ecutek cable any one will do as its not keyed to you dongle, you could get a used cable and just keep your working dongle. Or buy the blutoith interface as it will flash via USB connector and usd you existing dongle
Old 06-25-2018, 07:17 PM   #8
sroby

Good info partner. As I haven’t heard anyone other than yourself enlighten us about the fact that any Ecutek cable would work. I thought it was specific to your desk key.
Again thanks so much for your knowledge and help.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:36 AM   #9
sroby

Steve, good evening, just an update for you. Ecuteks chief engineer and tech got with me this am 1000 my time as I am 50 mile northeast of Atlanta , Ga. a 5 th timeframe difference to U K. He did the remot trouble shoot via my laptop and cars ecu 2015 FRS . I have never experienced anything like that. It was amazing. After he determined my windows 10 was uploaded properly he proseeded on with the missions About 45 minutes they determined the car ok , it was the cable in fact quit It had broke. And they were. Going to ship it out today. Customer service was outstanding 👍👍👍❤️🇬🇧

Last edited by sroby; 06-27-2018 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Different emoji
The Following User Says Thank You to sroby For This Useful Post:
steve99 (06-27-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 04:00 AM   #10
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroby View Post
Steve, good evening, just an update for you. Ecuteks chief engineer and tech got with me this am 1000 my time as I am 50 mile northeast of Atlanta , Ga. a 5 th timeframe difference to U K. He did the remot trouble shoot via my laptop and cars ecu 2015 FRS . I have never experienced anything like that. It was amazing. After he determined my windows 10 was uploaded properly he proseeded on with the missions About 45 minutes they determined the car ok , it was the cable in fact quit It had broke. And they were. Going to ship it out today. Customer service was outstanding ������❤️

Yes theor customer service is excelent makes paying the premium price worth it
Old 06-29-2018, 11:31 PM   #11
sroby

Steve, just giving you an update. I received my new Ecutek cable from delicious tuning today. I plugged into the car and everything is good to go . The firmware updated, I was able to scan the codes and clear them. Lucan of Ecutek was dead on. The cable was in fact the culprit. Ecutek stood behind their product and warranted the cable through Delicious tunning. Thanks to them for the assistance as well as your input.
Best regards Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to sroby For This Useful Post:
steve99 (06-29-2018)