follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
First test drive of 2014 Volkswagen GTI

Up at Autoblog. The upcoming GTI's got a first-ever for the GTI mechanical LSD as an option, plus better power. The Autoblog author commented in a response to a post that
Quote:
The dynamics on this GTI Performance [the version with the LSD] nicely outstretch those of the Focus ST. Better materials inside and out everywhere, too.
Only a GTI fanatic could tell it apart from the current model, however - still looks like a box compared to the gorgeous Scirocco.

Despite its deficiencies as a styling exercise I'd love a test drive. Won't see this till summer 2014 though, don't know if I want to hold off on a BRZ that long - have to see what Subie does to up the game for MY 2014.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
There are so many great cars out now. If the FRS and BRZ didn't exist, I'd really have a hard time choosing.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Looks like a very promising car.

To bad most people are this forum are like LOLZ, omg FWD sukz.
acro (04-27-2013), Calum (04-28-2013), DylanFRS (04-29-2013), Ryeong86 (05-02-2013), SVTSHC (05-16-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
BMWDavid

Drives: '89 911, '06 GTI, '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking to replace my '06 MKV GTI with a new MKVII GTI. Current GTI has 98,000 totally trouble free miles. It has been one of the best cars I've had in the past 41 years.

I'm a little concerned about VW building the US GTI's in Mexico.
2013 Subaru BRZ WRB Limited 6MT-gone but not forgotten
2014 Nissan Murano SV
BMWDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
Supermassive

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
Looks like a very promising car.

To bad most people are this forum are like LOLZ, omg FWD sukz.
Its one of those things that differentiates car people to a polarizing degree. The general concensus is that if FWD was so good why is it that no top end sports cars are FWD? Thats not to say they cant be good cars, but if you want a car that is a sports car RWD is the way to go. If you want a car for point a to point b driving then a FWD car is fine.

As for myself, my dislike of FWD cars comes from experience working on them. A RWD car is typically a lot easier to work on...anyone who has replaced a clutch on a 3000GT will know my pain. FWD platforms also suffer from torque steer to varying degrees. I will admit that I also have a severe distaste for modern VWs. Germans make great quality cars but my god theyre bland through and through. VW hasnt had an interesting design since the Scirocco but what do you expect from a company that doesnt have to have any inspired design since they also own Audi, Lamborghini, Bugatti, and other marques.
Supermassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
Its one of those things that differentiates car people to a polarizing degree. The general concensus is that if FWD was so good why is it that no top end sports cars are FWD? Thats not to say they cant be good cars, but if you want a car that is a sports car RWD is the way to go. If you want a car for point a to point b driving then a FWD car is fine.

As for myself, my dislike of FWD cars comes from experience working on them. A RWD car is typically a lot easier to work on...anyone who has replaced a clutch on a 3000GT will know my pain. FWD platforms also suffer from torque steer to varying degrees. I will admit that I also have a severe distaste for modern VWs. Germans make great quality cars but my god theyre bland through and through. VW hasnt had an interesting design since the Scirocco but what do you expect from a company that doesnt have to have any inspired design since they also own Audi, Lamborghini, Bugatti, and other marques.
its one thing to say that you prefer rwd. its another when many of these people write off a car simply because its fwd. from what i have read, the new gti has zero tq steer which is odd since it has 250ish tq. up to a certain power level i think fwd is more than capable of being fast and fun. of all the fun cars ive ever owned, i would put the crx probably right at the top and then probably my miatas tied with my speed protege and then followed by my ae86. ive also had tons of fun in my sisters mazda2.

fwd has pros and cons that can be polarizing but i think the frs is the only budget rwd (well and the miata) that are anywhere close to being as cool as a those fwd i mentioned before.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Nice to see they've dropped weight and added power...don't get too excited though, its still over a year away...

and they still kept those damn plaid seats....
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Nice to see they've dropped weight and added power...don't get too excited though, its still over a year away...

and they still kept those damn plaid seats....
I love the plaid seats. Unfortunately when I got my MKV I had to get leather to get the European sport seats, so that's what I had.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to n2oinferno For This Useful Post:
SubieNate (05-17-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 01:23 AM   #9
Supermassive

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
its one thing to say that you prefer rwd. its another when many of these people write off a car simply because its fwd. from what i have read, the new gti has zero tq steer which is odd since it has 250ish tq. up to a certain power level i think fwd is more than capable of being fast and fun. of all the fun cars ive ever owned, i would put the crx probably right at the top and then probably my miatas tied with my speed protege and then followed by my ae86. ive also had tons of fun in my sisters mazda2.

fwd has pros and cons that can be polarizing but i think the frs is the only budget rwd (well and the miata) that are anywhere close to being as cool as a those fwd i mentioned before.
I guess it can be fun to drive FWD, I just don't find it all that enjoyable, part of the draw of RWD is being able to steer your car with the accelerator. I also think that my dislike of FWD is rooted in the fact that I have liked very few FWD cars as far as aesthetically...I think the last FWD car I even remotely liked was the Honda Prelude, since then Honda have gotten uglier and uglier and so has virtually every other FWD car in existence...its almost like the car manufacturers have a secret wager between them to see how ugly they can make a car and people still buy it (I still think the Aztek and Cube are tied for ugliest cars ever). I guess that a car has to be appealing to all my senses and my prejudices. When I bought my FR-S I broke one of my long standing prejudices and that was that i would never buy a car with less than 6 cylinders...so I could one day change my mind about FWD but it would take one hell of a car to do that.
Supermassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:43 AM   #10
Sport-Tech

More raves from first-drive reviews compiled at Jalopnik. It's more $ than a BRZ Limited here in Canada so it'll have to be a step up to justify the added cost.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:10 AM   #11
GTFrank

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I own the BRZ and I love it. Up to 70% of the two cars potential the GTI is better in almost every way. Push them out to 80% and the BRZ just takes over. How many of us drive at 80% of a cars potential? I guess all of us do that's why we own theses cars.
GTFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:19 AM   #12
Sport-Tech

The raves continue to pile up. I'm drifting to the dark side - starting to lurk over at VWvortex now...

I know it's quite different from the twins, but I am still looking forward to the comparative reviews.

Last edited by Sport-Tech; 04-29-2013 at 03:07 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:40 AM   #13
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport-Tech View Post
The raves continue to pile up. I'm drifting to the dark side - starting to lurk over at VWvortex now...
Drifting? Fwd? Confused?

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carbonBLUE For This Useful Post:
Sport-Tech (04-30-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport-Tech View Post

I know it's quite different from the twins, but I am still looking forward to the comparative reviews.
I traded in an MKVI (2011) GTI for my BRZ, and although the MKVII looks to improve on almost everything (Mexico assembly does concern me though), they are just so different. I could never get over the fact that I was still driving a tarted up Golf. The twins have their own platform, and it makes the driving experience so unique.

Very glad that I made the trade.