follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 11-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
ymboc

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DIY: ReWire AT Shifter to Reverse & Correct the +/- pattern (on selector stick)

Following up my post in the Automatic transmission selector details? Thread with a more indepth how-to quoting Trojan_SC's posts for the portions I didn't photo-document myself.

Follow this guide to swap the position of '+' and '-' position on the gear selector stick for the automatic transmission. This helped me because our other car (a mazda) has this set up opposite (ie: properly) compared to the FRS.

Here we go...
  1. Remove the filler/cubby above the shifter surround and disconnect its wiring.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trojan_SC View Post
    You can just grab it and pull (gently) or you can push it out from behind where you just removed the panels.
    I found this a bit tricky... I got it started by pulling on the the right, but had to push *down* hard on the left side while pulling to get it to come loose. Rubber/Nitrile gloves will help with your grip on the part
  2. Remove the shifter surround, unscrew the shift knob, and disconnect its wiring.
    (Trojan_SC's post quoted with manual selector shown but procedure is the same)
    Quote:
    Next pull off the trim around the shifter, it is just clipped in so it will come off with some pulling.
    The trick to this is to reach down through the boot and pull along the rim of the boot starting at the top closest to where the cubby/filler was.
  3. Loosen the E-Brake surround from the center console
    Quote:
    Detach the e-brake boot, from the center console. You don't have to remove it entirely.
    Again, reach through the boot and pull up along the rim of the boot.
  4. Remove center console and disconnect its wiring. (Screws 6 places: two under filler/cubby, two under shifter surround, two under cup-holder).
    Quote:

5. Identify the junction connector located at top of shifter assembly. Slide it to the right while pushing in the tab to detach it from the assembly.

6. Disconnect the Junction Connector from the wiring harness. We're going to be working with the shifter side of the junction connector. Here's a 'before' picture with the pairs of wires you need to swap identified.

7. Depin, Swap & Repin the wire pairs. Be sure to lift up the flap identified in the step 5 photo before you begin. You'll need something tiny (like a precision screwdriver) to reach in from the connector side to lift up the plastic retainer that holds the wire/pin in place. When you're done your Connector should look like this:

8. Follow steps 1-7 in reverse order.
Done.

Tip: Don't bother trying to test the shifter function before reassembly until you've reconnected the shifter-surround wiring... save yourself the panic... it wont let you go into 'M' mode until you've reconnected everything.

Hindsight: I had originally tried to swap only one wire (instead of pairs) because the second wire of the pairs is a common ground and actually shouldn't need to be moved.... however when I tested -- before I discovered the above tip/quirk -- it didn't work. I neglected to take a picture of my wiring at this point. So I proceeded to swap the pairs and then discovered the above tip/quirk of the arrangement. Since the only photos I took were of the swapped pairs I've kept the instructions to how I've left the wiring in my own car.
ymboc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ymboc For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (11-08-2012), FX86 (05-14-2016), Hamza (01-13-2021), Harvie1031 (03-16-2016), Jedi1 (11-08-2012), korhun (09-07-2019), Lonewolf (01-23-2021)
Old 01-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
Iddoit2er

Drives: S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
When you swap the pairs, does the left wire stay on the left and right on the right? Or is it supposed to be a mirror swap of the pairs?

Does that make sense?
Iddoit2er is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iddoit2er For This Useful Post:
korhun (09-07-2019)
Old 01-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
WillBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT GBS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I'm confused...the pics are a mt?
WillBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WillBRZ For This Useful Post:
speedracer38 (01-26-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
MemphisR
Memphis

Drives: 1989 MR2 S/C, 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBRZ View Post
I'm confused...the pics are a mt?
He must have changed the bezel and boot so it looks like a manual.
Nice idea.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
J-Money

Drives: GT-86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
No its a M/T cause the Auto has the snow and whatever traction control
J-Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #6
abutterman

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited - WRB, MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
those pics were from another thread. must've just reused some pics to cover the trim removal process
abutterman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to abutterman For This Useful Post:
korhun (09-07-2019)
Old 05-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymboc View Post
Following up my post in the Automatic transmission selector details? Thread with a more indepth how-to quoting Trojan_SC's posts for the portions I didn't photo-document myself.

Follow this guide to swap the position of '+' and '-' position on the gear selector stick for the automatic transmission. This helped me because our other car (a mazda) has this set up opposite (ie: properly) compared to the FRS.

Here we go...
  1. Remove the filler/cubby above the shifter surround and disconnect its wiring.
    I found this a bit tricky... I got it started by pulling on the the right, but had to push *down* hard on the left side while pulling to get it to come loose. Rubber/Nitrile gloves will help with your grip on the part
  2. Remove the shifter surround, unscrew the shift knob, and disconnect its wiring.
    (Trojan_SC's post quoted with manual selector shown but procedure is the same)
    The trick to this is to reach down through the boot and pull along the rim of the boot starting at the top closest to where the cubby/filler was.
  3. Loosen the E-Brake surround from the center console
    Again, reach through the boot and pull up along the rim of the boot.
  4. Remove center console and disconnect its wiring. (Screws 6 places: two under filler/cubby, two under shifter surround, two under cup-holder).

5. Identify the junction connector located at top of shifter assembly. Slide it to the right while pushing in the tab to detach it from the assembly.

6. Disconnect the Junction Connector from the wiring harness. We're going to be working with the shifter side of the junction connector. Here's a 'before' picture with the pairs of wires you need to swap identified.

7. Depin, Swap & Repin the wire pairs. Be sure to lift up the flap identified in the step 5 photo before you begin. You'll need something tiny (like a precision screwdriver) to reach in from the connector side to lift up the plastic retainer that holds the wire/pin in place. When you're done your Connector should look like this:

8. Follow steps 1-7 in reverse order.
Done.

Tip: Don't bother trying to test the shifter function before reassembly until you've reconnected the shifter-surround wiring... save yourself the panic... it wont let you go into 'M' mode until you've reconnected everything.

Hindsight: I had originally tried to swap only one wire (instead of pairs) because the second wire of the pairs is a common ground and actually shouldn't need to be moved.... however when I tested -- before I discovered the above tip/quirk -- it didn't work. I neglected to take a picture of my wiring at this point. So I proceeded to swap the pairs and then discovered the above tip/quirk of the arrangement. Since the only photos I took were of the swapped pairs I've kept the instructions to how I've left the wiring in my own car.
To remover the wires, do you go from the plug side or from the opening above where the little tab you flipped up covered? And will I be pushing down or pulling up?

Sorry, never unpinned a plug before and youtube didnt help much. lol TIA

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:38 PM   #8
ymboc

Drives: FR-S
@finch1750: Apologies about the super late response.

Have you figured it out?

WRT AT vs MT Picture Confusion...
I explained what's going on in the first post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymboc View Post
I even make sure to quote Trojan_SC's pictures and text from his thread to make sure his photos and instructions are attributed properly -- adding my own tips/comments where I thought they may be helpful. Trojan_SC's photos obviously of an MT '86 but the procedure is the same.

So have many folks done the swap?

Last edited by ymboc; 06-12-2015 at 07:52 PM.
ymboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:58 AM   #9
Weapon86

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS monogram series
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Sorry for reviving this thread. I did this earlier and was successful. The left wire stays on the left and right one stays on the right. Wires 1 2 3 4 at original position. It should be 3 4 1 2.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:12 AM   #10
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
did this several months back...feels sportier already lol

thank you sir
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:39 AM   #11
korhun
Database error

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 1,657 Times in 614 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Is this same for 2018 BRZ? If not, is there any other thread or link you know to help me?

I have never made a mod on a car before, and a bit scared.. I wish there is a DIY video showing all the steps in details for the dummies like me. I couldn't find any. Any help is very appreciated..

Last edited by korhun; 09-07-2019 at 10:07 AM.
korhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 05:07 PM   #12
Jammy

Drives: Brz
Hi,

I am stuck at the un-pin part as I cannot remove and don't want to force the pulling.
I've check different video on how to do so but the connector is not the same as the one from the brz/86

I have lifted the top part ( A ) in the image then i ve try using a hair pin and jewelry screw drive in section (D) and (C) but no luck.

Maybe someone can guide me for that part where and how to unpin it?

Last edited by Jammy; 04-03-2022 at 04:51 PM. Reason: re link for the images upload
Jammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
automatic, manual, pattern, shift, swap