follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-28-2016, 12:10 PM   #1
Chad_W

Drives: 2013 BRZ DGM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tweeter Aiming Advice Needed

As per the pic, I'm trying to determine if it makes more sense to have my tweeter laying back somewhat or closer to vertical. I'm running a set of Pioneer components with the 6.5 in the doors and the tweeter near the A-pillars pointing across to the opposite seats.

If I lay the tweeter back at approximately 30 degrees, it will be easier to make the install look clean (no extra bracketing) and it will avoid directing too much of the sound into gauge cluster cowl. The disadvantage is that tweeter will be off axis from my ears and there may be some reflections from the windshield

If I stand the tweeter up near vertical, I will be able to pretty much on axis and avoid windshield reflections, but be pointing into the cowl and have a more complicated, less clean install.

Any thoughts on what the best choice is?
Attached Images

Chad_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:15 PM   #2
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
It depends on your priority for installation. Are you more concerned with how they look installed or how they sound installed (imaging, soundstage, etc...)? IMHO, if you're going to the trouble of custom installing them, then try them in different locations until you're satisfied with the sound. FWIW, I have mine in custom A-pillars.
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:44 PM   #3
Chad_W

I'm looking to balance out the amount of work and cost it will take with the benefit. I'm not going to do the custom A-pillar route, unless there is someone who makes a prefab (have you come across any?)

My original thought was surface mount on the A-Pillar, but I'm leaning towards grill top, because I feel like will be similar in performance, but more secure and no more obtrusive.

You're right though, I should wire everything up and play around with some double-sided tape until I figure out what I want
Old 04-29-2016, 12:24 AM   #4
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL

Drives: Specialized Hardrock
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
There will be reflections down to about 13khz no matter what, as the tweeter will be omnidirectional until above that. Your doing the right thing shoving it as far into the dash as possible. Keep in mind, it will also make the tweeter more efficient.
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 01:11 PM   #5
Chad_W

I played around a little bit and decided on an a-pillar position I like.

Now how do I get those friggin green tethers off without breaking them?
Old 04-16-2021, 01:25 PM   #6
asnatlas

Drives: 2013 - BRZ - SWP
Any updates ?
asnatlas is offline   Reply With Quote