follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 08-20-2019, 12:22 AM   #141
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 16' BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I managed to get 12.5 MPG on a tank today! Felt like a small victory. I'm in the process of a 17' brz bumper swap with mustache delete. I am also replacing the oem crash bar with the JDL bar. I will post some pics here soon.
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #142
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabTheWheel View Post
I managed to get 12.5 MPG on a tank today! Felt like a small victory. I'm in the process of a 17' brz bumper swap with mustache delete. I am also replacing the oem crash bar with the JDL bar. I will post some pics here soon.
Why can't you get an mpg at least comparable to Corvette?
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
Pat (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 11:53 AM   #143
GrabTheWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
Why can't you get an mpg at least comparable to Corvette?
I averaged 9-10 MPG in my stock ZL1. So I’m already 25% plus more efficient than that. Combination of having a cam, having a heavy right foot with lots of empty country roads and most importantly is the tune which is still a work in progress but is probably the biggest factor. For reference I only averaged 16-17 MPG when my car was supercharged on E85 and was still under 20 MPG on pump gas so I’m not too surprised. I think there’s still room for improvement to get in the 14-15 MPG range but I’m not expecting more than that and will take all the torque and smile at the gas pump because I’m having fun. It’s funny having such a small tank means I’m filling up constantly but it somehow doesn’t seem as bad as a car with a big tank that needs premium and costs over $100 to fill the tank, which I know is totally false but hey I guess that’s marketing, with only 4 payments of 39.99 you can get to work this week! Not my daily but I have been driving like it is.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrabTheWheel For This Useful Post:
ILLSMOQ (08-21-2019), mrg666 (08-20-2019), Pat (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 01:46 PM   #144
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I only averaged 16-17 MPG when my car was supercharged
okay, i could do that too. have fun, stay safe!
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:25 AM   #145
GrabTheWheel

I got the 17' bumper swap done, as well as mustache delete, JDL bumper bar and adding some ducting to the radiator. Not as good of a ducting job as I would of liked but without relocating some oil cooler lines and having no front end protection (which I wasn't wanting to do) there wasn't much space. Don't mind the mismatched paint, shouldn't slow me down at the track this weekend, body shop is going to make it right.

There is also a picture of my new trailer which I guess means I'm starting to take this HPDE hobby more seriously. After having it for a few weeks, I love it and wish I would have bit the bullet and bought a trailer sooner. I always have such a fun time driving the canyons on the way to and from Buttonwillow that it kept me from wanting to do so but having a trailer finally feels liberating! Having the peace of mind to know I can have as much fun as I want and not rely on AAA to get home if something breaks is great! Even with horrible fuel economy towing with a Tacoma I think it still might be better than what I'd get in the Chevubaru.

Hopefully it isn't too hot at Buttonwillow this weekend and the changes I've made to the front end will help keep things cool. I also have a Varis vented hood on order which I'll have painted that should further help with cooling. I'll report back with lap times and data using AIM and the motec. Not sure if I'll get to video this time but I'll try to at least have a gopro. Luckily I'll be there with my tuner who is always at this track and is use to a 1:33 lap pace in his SCCA spec 2 race car. He will undoubtedly set a faster pace with the car than me even if he's not pushing 100%.

I don't plan on making too many more changes in the near future, plan is to drive and enjoy. There is about 50 hours into the tune thus far and it has gotten so much better along the way, another 50 and it should be perfect. I am considering upgrading dampers, adding brake ducts and getting an AIM or motec cam.
Attached Images

Last edited by GrabTheWheel; 08-30-2019 at 04:56 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GrabTheWheel For This Useful Post:
DustinS (08-30-2019), HKz (09-11-2019), ILLSMOQ (08-30-2019), Sportsguy83 (09-02-2019), Summerwolf (09-11-2019), Zer0 (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 03:34 PM   #146
FR-S.13

Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Looks SO much better with the mustache delete!!
FR-S.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S.13 For This Useful Post:
GrabTheWheel (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 05:53 PM   #147
GrabTheWheel

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIHZv5dv-7Q[/ame]

This was my 1st time on track in a year so it took me a bit to shake off the rust. Speeds over 100mph felt almost foreign to me. Was braking WAY too early almost the entire weekend. My best lap was a 2 min. flat. Most of my rolling laps were 2:02-2:03 in 105 degree weather. Car actually ran really well when it was only 90 degrees in the morning and could go a whole session. But after temps hit 105 and I had the track to myself I had to do 1-2 cool down laps for every 2-3 hot laps which I don't think is bad considering it's still a street car and it was hot as hell! Every time coolant got over 230 I would back off and after a quick cool down back to 200.

At the end of the 2nd day I finally got comfortable and realized how much later I could brake and how much better that would set me up for the turn in. Also I always struggle with bus stop but I feel like I had a real obvious but cool breakthrough at the end the 2nd day. I realized if I just stop focusing on where to put my left tire in relation to the curb and focused all my attention towards eyes up looking at my exit angle to really get on it before riverside without upsetting the car seemed to be key, EYES UP! But by the time I figured this out it was 105 degrees and my tires were losing grip. Still managed to stay out for an hour at the end of day 2 by myself just doing 2 hot laps followed by 2 cool down laps repeat. About 70 gallons of ethanol came out to 140 laps, not the 180-200 I was hoping for but still not bad.

Lucky it was 2 days because the first half of day 1 was wasted. Somehow I immediately boiled my fluid first session out and lost the brakes, rear brakes were smoking horribly. Not very confidence inspiring. Luckily they have a shop there. Swapped brake fluid even though it had Motul in there I guess it was no good anymore. Also had to remove the metal shielding spot welded to the inside of the rear brakes, was creating an oven effect and not allowing the rears to cool.

By the afternoon the brakes felt good again but something was still not right. Didn't feel like I had full control of the car even though all traction was suppose to be off. I'm running Motec ECU and from what I can tell there is no way to have VSC 100% off with CANBUS integration. When the factory traction control and motec traction are off somehow the factory VSC still kicks in and applies the brakes! That's why the car has felt so off and I've been swapping sway bars and thinking it's pushing for the last 2 months!! And that's most likely why my rear brakes were cooked!

The only real solution we came up with is to have the Motec traction activated and turn the wheel speeds all the way up giving me as much wheel spin as I want. Effectively giving me no traction control or VSC so I had total control. My tuner who was at the track with me works with race cars only and couldn't understand for the life of him why I wouldn't want the Motec traction on and just be flat everywhere! In his world all that matters is lap times! I had to explain to him that fun and car control are what matters to me, (ok maybe laptimes a little). Will only get 10-12 days a year.

Last problem is my axle seals leaking diff fluid. Should I just replace the seals or go back to stock rear axles? I just got DSS 600 hp axles. Next up is Motec dash and JRZ dampers plus driver mod.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:51 AM   #148
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

This was my 1st time on track in a year so it took me a bit to shake off the rust. Speeds over 100mph felt almost foreign to me. Was braking WAY too early almost the entire weekend. My best lap was a 2 min. flat. Most of my rolling laps were 2:02-2:03 in 105 degree weather. Car actually ran really well when it was only 90 degrees in the morning and could go a whole session. But after temps hit 105 and I had the track to myself I had to do 1-2 cool down laps for every 2-3 hot laps which I don't think is bad considering it's still a street car and it was hot as hell! Every time coolant got over 230 I would back off and after a quick cool down back to 200.

At the end of the 2nd day I finally got comfortable and realized how much later I could brake and how much better that would set me up for the turn in. Also I always struggle with bus stop but I feel like I had a real obvious but cool breakthrough at the end the 2nd day. I realized if I just stop focusing on where to put my left tire in relation to the curb and focused all my attention towards eyes up looking at my exit angle to really get on it before riverside without upsetting the car seemed to be key, EYES UP! But by the time I figured this out it was 105 degrees and my tires were losing grip. Still managed to stay out for an hour at the end of day 2 by myself just doing 2 hot laps followed by 2 cool down laps repeat. About 70 gallons of ethanol came out to 140 laps, not the 180-200 I was hoping for but still not bad.

Lucky it was 2 days because the first half of day 1 was wasted. Somehow I immediately boiled my fluid first session out and lost the brakes, rear brakes were smoking horribly. Not very confidence inspiring. Luckily they have a shop there. Swapped brake fluid even though it had Motul in there I guess it was no good anymore. Also had to remove the metal shielding spot welded to the inside of the rear brakes, was creating an oven effect and not allowing the rears to cool.

By the afternoon the brakes felt good again but something was still not right. Didn't feel like I had full control of the car even though all traction was suppose to be off. I'm running Motec ECU and from what I can tell there is no way to have VSC 100% off with CANBUS integration. When the factory traction control and motec traction are off somehow the factory VSC still kicks in and applies the brakes! That's why the car has felt so off and I've been swapping sway bars and thinking it's pushing for the last 2 months!! And that's most likely why my rear brakes were cooked!

The only real solution we came up with is to have the Motec traction activated and turn the wheel speeds all the way up giving me as much wheel spin as I want. Effectively giving me no traction control or VSC so I had total control. My tuner who was at the track with me works with race cars only and couldn't understand for the life of him why I wouldn't want the Motec traction on and just be flat everywhere! In his world all that matters is lap times! I had to explain to him that fun and car control are what matters to me, (ok maybe laptimes a little). Will only get 10-12 days a year.

Last problem is my axle seals leaking diff fluid. Should I just replace the seals or go back to stock rear axles? I just got DSS 600 hp axles. Next up is Motec dash and JRZ dampers plus driver mod.
Here's a reference lap for you on a stock power brz running a 2:00.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jw0yeTx0Ig[/ame]

Pedal dance your car, and your issue will go away.

You need new diff seals. They should be replaced every time you need axles?

If you're serious about driver mod, PM me.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
wparsons (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 06:37 AM   #149
GrabTheWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Here's a reference lap for you on a stock power brz running a 2:00.

Pedal dance your car, and your issue will go away.

You need new diff seals. They should be replaced every time you need axles?

If you're serious about driver mod, PM me.
Mike, after watching your lap a few times it seems to me like 90% of the time I'm missing out on is between cottons corners and Phil hill the more technical part of the track. Over Phil Hill into the sweeper and through the esses is my favorite part of the track. You're at least 5 mph faster through Riverside, 5mph faster through off ramp and cottons corners. So much more speed through club corner your top speed before bus stop was like 10 mph faster, not to mention how quickly you blaze through the bus stop like it's not even there. So pretty much I was only faster at driving the straight parts of the track with my V8. Hopefully I didn't shoot myself in the foot for progressing as a driver with all this power. I have tried to grow slowly with the platform over time.

My 1st frs I drove stock for 2 years, only upgraded tires. The last 2 years has pretty much been dreaming about driving an 86 with power on track and not have it break down. I was really starting to feel a connection with the car by the end of the 2nd day.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:41 PM   #150
CSG Mike

Quote:
Mike, after watching your lap a few times it seems to me like 90% of the time I'm missing out on is between cottons corners and Phil hill the more technical part of the track. Over Phil Hill into the sweeper and through the esses is my favorite part of the track. You're at least 5 mph faster through Riverside, 5mph faster through off ramp and cottons corners. So much more speed through club corner your top speed before bus stop was like 10 mph faster, not to mention how quickly you blaze through the bus stop like it's not even there. So pretty much I was only faster at driving the straight parts of the track with my V8. Hopefully I didn't shoot myself in the foot for progressing as a driver with all this power. I have tried to grow slowly with the platform over time.

My 1st frs I drove stock for 2 years, only upgraded tires. The last 2 years has pretty much been dreaming about driving an 86 with power on track and not have it break down. I was really starting to feel a connection with the car by the end of the 2nd day.
Do you have a datalogger yet?
Old 09-03-2019, 02:32 PM   #151
GrabTheWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Do you have a datalogger yet?
Was using AIM to log data but will have full motec dash before my next track day. I’m thinking I’ll be at Laguna next but for sure want to get back to Buttonwillow as soon as the weather cools down!
Old 09-04-2019, 12:46 PM   #152
CSG Mike

Quote:
Was using AIM to log data but will have full motec dash before my next track day. I’m thinking I’ll be at Laguna next but for sure want to get back to Buttonwillow as soon as the weather cools down!
What level logging will you be purchasing, and are you adding any external sensors?
Old 09-11-2019, 03:12 PM   #153
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Sweet trailer! I'm looking for something like that now. What brand is that one?
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:43 PM   #154
GrabTheWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by B T View Post
Sweet trailer! I'm looking for something like that now. What brand is that one?
Futura. It’s from New Zealand.
The Following User Says Thank You to GrabTheWheel For This Useful Post:
B T (09-12-2019)