follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-07-2019, 08:11 PM   #1
Daver

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
P000B

p000b "engine position system performance - bank 2"

72K, No boost or tune, just got cam carrier seals redone. Something they did perhaps? Should I try to change OCV?

Thanks
Daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:29 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Oh, I'd suggest you take it back to whoever did the work and ask THEM to fix it -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:35 PM   #3
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i thought this was an OT discussion about poop.

nevermind then.

Old 09-07-2019, 11:54 PM   #4
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Old 09-08-2019, 03:25 PM   #5
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

They used too much glue and it got into/through the ACVS filter. Either that or a little fleck of schmutz broke free and jammed the spool valve in the phasor.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:23 PM   #6
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
p000b "engine position system performance - bank 2"

72K, No boost or tune, just got cam carrier seals redone. Something they did perhaps? Should I try to change OCV?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
They used too much glue and it got into/through the ACVS filter. Either that or a little fleck of schmutz broke free and jammed the spool valve in the phasor.

I don't get people's logic sometimes.

Go back to whoever did the carrier seal replacement. It's not a coincidence this issue occurred after the seal redo. I don't know why you'd go STRAIGHT to replacing the OCV.....
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:09 AM   #7
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post

Go back to whoever did the carrier seal replacement. It's not a coincidence this issue occurred after the seal redo. I don't know why you'd go STRAIGHT to replacing the OCV.....
At least OP did some light reading. There's some logic to the suggestion but it's off the mark.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:49 AM   #8
Daver

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post

I had read part of the Subaru service manual on P000B is to swap OCVs and see if it then throws the code for the other bank. This was before I heard the code could also be created by the glue.

Quote:

Thanks Man
I wonder if I have any leverage when the dealer claims they had nothing to do with it? (service manager already tried to minimize the possibility a service tech botched something) Does it help to call SOA or anything?
Old 09-10-2019, 03:34 PM   #9
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
I had read part of the Subaru service manual on P000B is to swap OCVs and see if it then throws the code for the other bank. This was before I heard the code could also be created by the glue.
Yup. It's possible but unlikely. The OCV isn't actually a valve. It's an actuator more closely related to the arm on a hard drive or a speaker. A voice coil accepts a signal to drive a pin which acts on the spool valve in the middle of the camshaft phasor. It's possible that it could fail slowly by getting weak and it's easy to verify but given your circumstances, a partially plugged oil passage is way more likely.

Quote:
Thanks Man
I wonder if I have any leverage when the dealer claims they had nothing to do with it? (service manager already tried to minimize the possibility a service tech botched something) Does it help to call SOA or anything?
I seriously doubt that it will go that far. The correlation is a no-brainer. Don't wait for it to ruin your ECU by permanently throwing it out of whack. That's real.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:49 PM   #10
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
The better question is, what harm could it possibly do? Fight and defend yourself, unless you like being walked on. Don't know too much, but be assertive. And above all else, do not let THEM convince YOU that it wasn't their fault.

The difference between defeat and giving up, is that at least with defeat, you had a chance.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:13 PM   #11
Daver

Quote:
Yup. It's possible but unlikely. The OCV isn't actually a valve. It's an actuator more closely related to the arm on a hard drive or a speaker. A voice coil accepts a signal to drive a pin which acts on the spool valve in the middle of the camshaft phasor. It's possible that it could fail slowly by getting weak and it's easy to verify but given your circumstances, a partially plugged oil passage is way more likely.

I seriously doubt that it will go that far. The correlation is a no-brainer. Don't wait for it to ruin your ECU by permanently throwing it out of whack. That's real.
Interesting, kinda like a Phonograph Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
The better question is, what harm could it possibly do? Fight and defend yourself, unless you like being walked on. Don't know too much, but be assertive. And above all else, do not let THEM convince YOU that it wasn't their fault.

The difference between defeat and giving up, is that at least with defeat, you had a chance.
Cheers, Good advice, there's no quit in me, Just want every tool in the drawer should It come to that.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:30 PM   #12
Daver

@Ultramaroon Thanks for the input! Using your verbage I went in there and supirsed the service manager With my knowledge. They swapped the upper OCV and got the code for Bank 2, surmising that the OCV was bad.

They replaced it no charge, and a few hundred miles later I still have no code, I guess I hope they were right, but I have got to think you guys are on the correct track, some smultz came loose and clogged that actuator, possibly that smultz has some friends still bouncing around in there and waiting to wreck something else. At Least I fired off an email to the service manager describing that posibility prior to them replacing the OCV, so if something crops up there is a paper trail, though I fear I might not win that argument... but Fingers crossed no issues. Thanks again guys
The Following User Says Thank You to Daver For This Useful Post:
bcj (09-19-2019)