follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 07-02-2019, 06:22 PM   #15
Route

Drives: 2007 GT3 | 22' BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoshioka1 View Post
Update 7/1/2019

Just got all of my necessary parts in friday afternoon and spent all night installing everything so i can get it ready for an alignment the following morning. All of the work was done myself besides the alignment.

Suspension / Wheels / Tires :

Fortune Auto 500 Gen 7 6k/7k
Whiteline RLCA, SPC Toe Arms

Advan TC3 18x9.5 +45 255/35/18 Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Square setup.
Project Kics R26 Gunmetal w/ locks (due to the nature of the offset, i figured having extended lugs would look kinda weird... and i was right. the R26 is the perfect length to fit within the wheels lug hole depth.)

No fender rolling. -2.4 Front Camber / -0.7 Rear Camber - 0 Front Toe 0.2 Rear Toe. Alginment done by Best Care Auto in Orange County.

No rubbing what so ever with this height and able to turn full lock to lock with no issues.

These pictures were right after the install, and the car has settled and lowered a bit in the rear to match the fronts. I like my cars low and aesthetically pleasing while still providing good performance all around. I will definitely get some better pictures soon!
0-100 real quick
Route is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Route For This Useful Post:
ayoshioka1 (07-02-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 03:58 AM   #16
WC-BRZ

Drives: Black BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Update 7/1/2019

Just got all of my necessary parts in friday afternoon and spent all night installing everything so i can get it ready for an alignment the following morning. All of the work was done myself besides the alignment.

Suspension / Wheels / Tires :

Fortune Auto 500 Gen 7 6k/7k
Whiteline RLCA, SPC Toe Arms

Is there any chance you may be able to provide a brief review on the FA 500 coilovers?

Which other coils did you consider before going with these?

Specifically, how does the chassis feel over mid-corner bumps? Of course it doesn't have to be a focused track review, but if you have any bumpy roads around you (especially, curvy bumpy roads), I'm wondering if you get the sensation that the tires can maintain contact during mid corner?

Other insights would be great as well; turn in, overall handling and response, etc.

Granted your alignment and tire setup will impact your review, but any input would be great either way!

Car looks badass
WC-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:30 PM   #17
ayoshioka1

Drives: 2019 BRZ / E36 325is
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WC-BRZ View Post
Is there any chance you may be able to provide a brief review on the FA 500 coilovers?

Which other coils did you consider before going with these?

Specifically, how does the chassis feel over mid-corner bumps? Of course it doesn't have to be a focused track review, but if you have any bumpy roads around you (especially, curvy bumpy roads), I'm wondering if you get the sensation that the tires can maintain contact during mid corner?

Other insights would be great as well; turn in, overall handling and response, etc.

Granted your alignment and tire setup will impact your review, but any input would be great either way!

Car looks badass
Thanks for the kind words <3

The other coilovers i had my eyes on were the HKS Hipermax IV SP, KW V3 or club sports, Ohlins Road and Track.

JDM coilovers were highly considered but HKS has stopped all coilover maintenance here in the US and they would need to be rebuilt overseas in Japan. With KW i didnt want to settle with a twin tube design and wanted something more robust with a monotube damper. As for Ohlins, they are a more track oriented setup and seeing that my car will see 80% street and maybe 20% track time through out the year. It didn't make sense to me go with a track spec setup which would compromise ride comfort.

Initial impressions of the FA500 Gen7 is quite good. The ride compliance is a bit more stiff than stock (3 clicks from full soft), but the ride is very smooth with no jarring or crashing over bumps, such as railroad tracks, man hole covers and small crack on the parking lot floor. The slight digressive nature of the shock truly does feel very apparent on the freeway as you hit cracks and differences in pavement at high speeds. The car stays flat and absorbs those bumps quite well, dare i say a little better than stock imo. I have only driven on the freeway, not so much in the corners so i have yet to test the setup as of late. With the new suspension and tire combo i do feel a lot of grip and response when i turn the wheel. Mid corner grip on and off freeway ramps is pretty good. Car feels stable doesn't wander and want to kick out like it used to.

I will be doing a shakedown of the car soon in the next auto-club autocross event and then i should be able to dial in the car to suit my driving style. I'm already thinking that the rear camber may not be enough so i will address that later on as i get more acquainted with the new chassis.
WC-BRZ (07-03-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 12:05 AM   #18
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the kind words <3

The other coilovers i had my eyes on were the HKS Hipermax IV SP, KW V3 or club sports, Ohlins Road and Track.

JDM coilovers were highly considered but HKS has stopped all coilover maintenance here in the US and they would need to be rebuilt overseas in Japan. With KW i didnt want to settle with a twin tube design and wanted something more robust with a monotube damper. As for Ohlins, they are a more track oriented setup and seeing that my car will see 80% street and maybe 20% track time through out the year. It didn't make sense to me go with a track spec setup which would compromise ride comfort.

Initial impressions of the FA500 Gen7 is quite good. The ride compliance is a bit more stiff than stock (3 clicks from full soft), but the ride is very smooth with no jarring or crashing over bumps, such as railroad tracks, man hole covers and small crack on the parking lot floor. The slight digressive nature of the shock truly does feel very apparent on the freeway as you hit cracks and differences in pavement at high speeds. The car stays flat and absorbs those bumps quite well, dare i say a little better than stock imo. I have only driven on the freeway, not so much in the corners so i have yet to test the setup as of late. With the new suspension and tire combo i do feel a lot of grip and response when i turn the wheel. Mid corner grip on and off freeway ramps is pretty good. Car feels stable doesn't wander and want to kick out like it used to.

I will be doing a shakedown of the car soon in the next auto-club autocross event and then i should be able to dial in the car to suit my driving style. I'm already thinking that the rear camber may not be enough so i will address that later on as i get more acquainted with the new chassis.
Let me know when you go. I would to meet other local members and do an auto cross event.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 02:17 AM   #19
ayoshioka1

Drives: 2019 BRZ / E36 325is
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Let me know when you go. I would to meet other local members and do an auto cross event.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
definitely, id love to meet some fellow frs/brz owners as well!