follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 09-08-2015, 12:30 PM   #9451
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urmyson View Post
Is this with the PROcede controller or just the normal kit?
I have the Procede, but this tune should also work well with the throttle switch kits. I also have an unrestricted exhaust setup, so I'm interested in hearing how well it works on the stock exhaust setups. I'll be switching back to my stock header and front-pipe soon in order to pass my bi-annual DEQ test in November.

KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:44 PM   #9452
KoolBRZ

Garage
Here are the 2 procede maps I'm trying today

Here is the map I used yesterday and a newer hotter map to try today. I want to make sure there isn't any overboost effects like surging, popping, or backfires when I suddenly let off the throttle during boost. Notice there is almost no change until after 4000 RPMs. That's when the magic happens.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to KoolBRZ For This Useful Post:
LucidMomentum (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 05:00 PM   #9453
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
Here is the map I used yesterday and a newer hotter map to try today. I want to make sure there isn't any overboost effects like surging, popping, or backfires when I suddenly let off the throttle during boost. Notice there is almost no change until after 4000 RPMs. That's when the magic happens.
Am i right is saying that this map you have here would only give you 100% ESC boost above ~6800 rpm or am i missing something.

I want a map that is a little smoother than the sport map but will still give me 100 percent boost if i go WOT above 3000rpm.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:22 PM   #9454
KoolBRZ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Am i right is saying that this map you have here would only give you 100% ESC boost above ~6800 rpm or am i missing something.

I want a map that is a little smoother than the sport map but will still give me 100 percent boost if i go WOT above 3000rpm.
My car won't use more than 13 psi below 3000 rpms, and no more than 14 below 4000 rpms, no matter how much throttle I give it. I think maybe it's retarding the timing when it gets more boost than it wants. I'll have to log it when it happens to find it. In the meantime, I don't map any more boost than it can handle. The Hot map I just posted was still too much boost, so I'm going to try the map below.
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2015, 09:04 PM   #9455
KoolBRZ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
DAMN
37.4 MPG? Were you going downhill with the wind behind you to whole trip?

The best I can ever get is 34 MPG under ideal conditions. (45 MPH in sixth gear on a flat straight road.)
I got 28.2 going the more economical Oregon route on the way there. What's really so amazing is that the return route should have been even worse. I had hills and even a mountain pass. On two of those hills I even opened it up to pass on the hill because it was the only place with a passing lane. I was cruising at under 40% load. I went 141 miles on a little over a quarter tank.
WRB5titch (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 09:19 PM   #9456
WRB5titch

Drives: WRBrz
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
... I went 141 miles on a little over a quarter tank.
Jesus, on a good day I get 60 miles at the quarter tank mark
Old 09-08-2015, 11:02 PM   #9457
KoolBRZ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRB5titch View Post
Jesus, on a good day I get 60 miles at the quarter tank mark
Yeah, but I was actually moving forward all the time. I stopped for a few traffic lights, otherwise I was in motion all the time. Being in SoCal, you're probably used to sitting still in traffic for eons of time. You could probably save a lot of fuel by simply turning the car off when stopped in traffic. As you can tell, I hate traffic.
There is a point in exhaust valve timing where the exhaust pulse bounces back and actually pushes unburnt fuel and air back into the cylinder before closing. I credit this for the excellent mileage. I can't prove it though. I used a stronger boost map today with the same tune and dropped to a 35 MPG average. Too much boost is definitely costing me gas and power. I also tried driving the tune with the ESC turned off, and it drove just fine. I think I'm getting better mileage with the ESC turned on though. Driving in "Sport" mode with the ESC engaged on the hotter map was a little twitchy however, so I don't recommend it.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:23 PM   #9458
KoolBRZ

Garage
Newest Procede map

Here's my newest Procede map. I kept the map really mellow for the first 7 columns, then wilder from there on up. There isn't any substantial boost below 3500 RPMs, so I shouldn't get any over-boost effects. The hottest it gets at 3250 RPMs is -30 at full throttle. Unlike the BestEver map, this is more of a progressive map up to full throttle.

Attached Images

Last edited by KoolBRZ; 01-03-2016 at 05:59 PM.
LucidMomentum (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 10:49 AM   #9459
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
My car won't use more than 13 psi below 3000 rpms, and no more than 14 below 4000 rpms, no matter how much throttle I give it. I think maybe it's retarding the timing when it gets more boost than it wants. I'll have to log it when it happens to find it. In the meantime, I don't map any more boost than it can handle. The Hot map I just posted was still too much boost, so I'm going to try the map below.
How come this is? Just really bad fuel? What are you seeing that is indicating issues? Lots of knock correction?

The only time my DAM has every dropped below 1 was when it was 36C out and i was bagging on it quite a bit.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:12 AM   #9460
KoolBRZ

Garage
I pulled my last post when I realized I didn't have the right definition file for the SBD turbo tune. The comparison was meaningless. There are some injection tables based on pressure, maybe those are feeding in too much fuel. It's time to log the problems. Then maybe I can get a handle on it. The symptoms occur when I'm accelerating harder and pushing the pressure above 13 at around 2500 RPMs. It accelerates slower, and seems to struggle until the RPMs are fast enough, then it just takes off. I need to watch the A/F ratio when it's happening to see if it really is getting more fuel than it can burn.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:01 PM   #9461
LucidMomentum
No Money, No Problems

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S (Halo White)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
I pulled my last post when I realized I didn't have the right definition file for the SBD turbo tune. The comparison was meaningless. There are some injection tables based on pressure, maybe those are feeding in too much fuel. It's time to log the problems. Then maybe I can get a handle on it. The symptoms occur when I'm accelerating harder and pushing the pressure above 13 at around 2500 RPMs. It accelerates slower, and seems to struggle until the RPMs are fast enough, then it just takes off. I need to watch the A/F ratio when it's happening to see if it really is getting more fuel than it can burn.

To chime in, I've had the Best Ever tune on my car for a few days now and there hasn't really been any issues with it. I even put my foot all the way to the floor coming off a stoplight just to see what would happen. It seemed like a normal FR-S until around 3K, and then off it went! Haven't really had any problems with sluggishness or lurching or anything, but I am using your older "cool" map for the Procede because I liked how it felt.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:45 PM   #9462
PantsDants

Drives: Scion FR-S A/T, Whiteout
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
You should see your AFR peg rich (< 10) whenever engine load exceeds around 1.7 g/rev in open loop, which corrects itself and goes back to hitting targets around 3200 RPM and above. I have an automatic as well and I'm still trying to figure this out. I'm currently playing with the GDI scaling tables to get the AFR to its target in that range, and I've had success in doing that, but it's causing a really bad lean spike on activation as a side effect. If I can fix that, I'll post up what I've done so far to address this issue.
PantsDants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:28 PM   #9463
KoolBRZ

Garage
If you're running an ECU with A00D, A01D. B01D, or D00D CAL ID's

If you're running an ECU with A00D, A01D. B01D, or D00D CAL ID's you can give this tune a try and see if it how it works on your car. It should give you MUCH better highway mileage. The D00D definition file didn't have the Port compensation table defined, so it hasn't been changed in that tune, just the AVCS tables have been changed. The other three tunes have the port compensation adjusted, as well as the AVCS Intake and Exhaust tables for maximum efficiency from .3 - .6 load, and I'm still working on maximum power for loads above that. It runs well around town, good launch, shifting, and cruising. On the highway it can cruise below .4 load and get good mileage. I haven't got any tunes or maps for MT's yet, but I do have plans for them in the future.
@LucidMomentum, and @PantsDants, can you try out this tune and tell me what you think? It's working well for me, but maybe that's just my car, so can you tell me if it works good on your cars as well?
Attached Images

Last edited by KoolBRZ; 01-03-2016 at 05:59 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KoolBRZ For This Useful Post:
Gums (09-13-2015), LucidMomentum (09-13-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 12:15 AM   #9464
Aztec
Lost in the twisties

Drives: 2014 BRZ Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Mine is a bit faster than most though, unless on e85. I have the experimental TQ300 that makes ~230 on 94oct. Running the standard with a 1.0 or 1.5 dump pack on 91-93 will net you anywhere between 200 and 215.

It doesnt sound like much but but 10 percent more power in a light car is a big difference.

For comparisons sake

My BRZ(tq300):
2700 pounds / 225whp - 12 pounds per HP

My Sti
3400 pounds / 270whp - 12.59 pounds per HP

My Wrx
3250 pounds / 250whp - 13 pounds per HP

My Rx8
3050 pounds / 175 whp - 17.42 pounds per HP

Gti stage 1
3160 pounds / ~230whp? - 13.7 pounds per HP

Buggati Veyron SS
4040 pounds / 1200hp - 3.3 pounds per HP
As an interesting option, could there be a pounds per Torque? I feel like this kit excels in the torque it produces. So a WTQ/Pound ratio?
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aztec For This Useful Post:
BBDGriptonia (09-14-2015)

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive