follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 10-26-2019, 07:25 PM   #29
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by conehead View Post
Posts like this drive me nuts. If you are going to be condescending and sarcastic, at least know what you are talking about.

Stretching tires onto wider wheels is common in race classes that limit tire section width. It maximizes contact patch and minimizes tire rollover. Race classes that limit wheel width tend to do the opposite and stuff the widest tire they can on the wheel.
Post like these make me giggle. If your going to get your panties in a bunch at lest know what your taking about.

Clearly you never been to a track or autox. Some not all maybe like 5% of everyone on a track or autox do not have stretch tires. That's always been the hellaflush defense for ages. They always have properly fitted tack or competition tires. Not some all-seasons with white stickers over stretched bull shit.

The only place that is common is on the drift events at a skid pad. But those dude are not doing times laps. It's all about car control. Unless you are one of those fools that go to a tack just to do parade laps for instagram. Then tell people how fast they are when they clearly have on begginger wrist bands on.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:23 PM   #30
conehead

Drives: RS 2.0
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Post like these make me giggle. If your going to get your panties in a bunch at lest know what your taking about.

Clearly you never been to a track or autox. Some not all maybe like 5% of everyone on a track or autox do not have stretch tires. That's always been the hellaflush defense for ages. They always have properly fitted tack or competition tires. Not some all-seasons with white stickers over stretched bull shit.

The only place that is common is on the drift events at a skid pad. But those dude are not doing times laps. It's all about car control. Unless you are one of those fools that go to a tack just to do parade laps for instagram. Then tell people how fast they are when they clearly have on begginger wrist bands on.

It's great that you have a "weekend fun car" for going around in circles, and of course you can put any tires you want on for your non-competition HPDE laps. If you want to win, you have to max out the rule book, so here is an autox example:

In Street class, the twins are limited to the stock 7" rims and the winning cars squeeze 245 tires on.

In Street Touring, the limit is a 9" rim and the fastest cars stretch their tires onto that widest rim.

There is no such thing as "properly fitted". It is a range, even within the same advertised section width on different tires, and that was the OPs question.
conehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 04:32 PM   #31
mrhayes1

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS white
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
First of all, the amount of tire hanging off the side depends on the size of the tire but it is really also about the rim style too. The stock wheels are very flat and have spokes that go all the way to the rim lip making the tire look even smaller. The stock wheels come with 215s so I would never go wider than 225 street tire on the stock wheel. Wider than a 225 and the steering will likely feel sloppy unless you run a very stiff tire.
mrhayes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:31 PM   #32
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
There are people that didn't like extra sidewall flex of 225 even on 8", so, especially as tire compound/construction of model plays biggest role in grip, for feel alone i'd get 215 for stock 7" wide wheels.
Yes, wider tires can net some extra lateral grip in autox and let stay in lower classes, but if you are after feel, not after most competitive results by maximizing one property at cost of others just to stay within class regulations, overly wide tires imho not the best choice.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:29 PM   #33
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
There are people that didn't like extra sidewall flex of 225 even on 8", so, especially as tire compound/construction of model plays biggest role in grip, for feel alone i'd get 215 for stock 7" wide wheels.
Yes, wider tires can net some extra lateral grip in autox and let stay in lower classes, but if you are after feel, not after most competitive results by maximizing one property at cost of others just to stay within class regulations, overly wide tires imho not the best choice.

It depends. I know most people prefer a low profile tire but I like the opposite. Not everyone likes the same thing. A higher profile tire is more forgiving and less prone to suddenly giving away.

My mistake, you were referring to wider tires on a 7" wheel. 225 on a 7" wheel is okay for me. I wouldn't go wider though but it also depends on the tire.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote