follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-13-2018, 06:05 PM   #1
dewittk

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2013 BRZ won't turn over replaced starter, battery, st cut relay

So I have been racking my head against a wall on this one. It started with a worn TO bearing. So I replaced clutch, flywheel, to bearing and clutch fork. After putting ever thing together now all I get is a click from the starter tell me the solenoid is activating but it is not attempting to turn over.
I have already replaced the battery and starter after bench test showed bad starter. Also while checking the electrical system found the ST cut relay which is normally open had shorted at 2 points. So that was replaced after all of this the starter is still clicking.
Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
dewittk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:19 PM   #2
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
When you have a car that starts and drives, and you do something on it, and once you're done it does not start and drive, always checks what you've done first before throwing parts at it.

with that said, the first and easiest step is to check for a forgotten ground wire. If you've got jumper cables just jump the battery negative terminal to the engine, see if it starts.

If it still clicks, confirm that the engine spins freely by rotating it a full turn with a ratchet on the crank bolt.

Starters are fundamentally simple devices: if the solenoid clicks, the motor should spin and drive the engine. If it's electrical needs are satisfied and what it's trying to turn isn't seized, it should crank, unless it can't interface with the flywheel. If the drive gear is hitting something before it's full stroke, be that an incorrectly installed something or the wrong something, that effectively stops the solenoid from snapping shut it's big high amp contact and engaging the actual drive motor.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
ActionMaxon (02-07-2020), Ultramaroon (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 06:23 PM   #3
mswbrz

Drives: 2013 brz limited / galaxy blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Read this similar issue bro
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116689

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mswbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:25 PM   #4
dewittk

Using a big ratchet on the harmonic balancer we have checked for free operation of the engine so it is not binding. I have also grounded the starter from the negitaive terminal directly to the neg side of the battery still getting just a click.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:31 PM   #5
dewittk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewittk View Post
Using a big ratchet on the harmonic balancer we have checked for free operation of the engine so it is not binding. I have also grounded the starter from the negitaive terminal directly to the neg side of the battery still getting just a click.

Also just tried grounding the engine to the neg battery terminal still getting a click. Using probe have tested all the fuses in the fuse box also ensuring proper voltage when attempting to start

Old 12-13-2018, 06:56 PM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
So I have been racking my head against a wall on this one. It started with a worn TO bearing. So I replaced clutch, flywheel, to bearing and clutch fork. After putting ever thing together now all I get is a click from the starter tell me the solenoid is activating but it is not attempting to turn over.
I have already replaced the battery and starter after bench test showed bad starter. Also while checking the electrical system found the ST cut relay which is normally open had shorted at 2 points. So that was replaced after all of this the starter is still clicking.
Anyone have any ideas?

Even though you replaced the battery, I'd suggest you either load test the replacement battery or jump the car's battery (just to insure the engine is getting enough power to turn it over).

Is the clutch switch operating properly?

Are you sure the replacement starter is good?

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
ActionMaxon (02-07-2020)
Old 12-13-2018, 06:59 PM   #7
dewittk

Battery has been load tested also new starter was bench tested all are good I am pulling the transmission again to determine if everything was installed correctly. From the starter hole and viewing plate it looks like it is. Just gonna make sure.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:13 PM   #8
humfrz

Before you rip it apart, are you sure this part is working properly?

As posted by @churchx

"My guess: you may have adjusted clutch pedal travel to your new clutch .. but have your also adjusted clutch press sensor? Don't know how it should work with normal-key cars, but on ones with smart start with button one needs to have clutch disengaged, and that sensor should do that. Maybe w/o adjusting car still thinks that clutch is not fully disengaged?"

humfrz
Old 12-13-2018, 07:20 PM   #9
dewittk

This is a keyless push to start. The car is recognizing that clutch is depress via the symbol for the key on the dash going steady green when clutch is depressed. And click if it didn't it wouldn't click because it wouldn't attempt to start.

The Following User Says Thank You to dewittk For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 08:44 PM   #10
humfrz

Quote:
This is a keyless push to start. The car is recognizing that clutch is depress via the symbol for the key on the dash going steady green when clutch is depressed. And click if it didn't it wouldn't click because it wouldn't attempt to start.

I'm gonna rattle the cages of a couple of old timers here, since this appears to have something to do with a basic electrical problem.

@Tcoat

@Ultramaroon

What are your thoughts, guys?

humfrz
Old 12-13-2018, 09:28 PM   #11
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
When you have a car that starts and drives, and you do something on it, and once you're done it does not start and drive, always checks what you've done first before throwing parts at it.

with that said, the first and easiest step is to check for a forgotten ground wire. If you've got jumper cables just jump the battery negative terminal to the engine, see if it starts.

If it still clicks, confirm that the engine spins freely by rotating it a full turn with a ratchet on the crank bolt.

Starters are fundamentally simple devices: if the solenoid clicks, the motor should spin and drive the engine. If it's electrical needs are satisfied and what it's trying to turn isn't seized, it should crank, unless it can't interface with the flywheel. If the drive gear is hitting something before it's full stroke, be that an incorrectly installed something or the wrong something, that effectively stops the solenoid from snapping shut it's big high amp contact and engaging the actual drive motor.
This ^ Especially the bolded part since you changed the flywheel. There have been a couple of guys that installed them wrong and had the same symptoms.
humfrz (12-14-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 09:46 PM   #12
dewittk

I dropped the tranny and re installed old flywheel even tho everything looked correct currently mounting everything up again.

The Following User Says Thank You to dewittk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-14-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 09:47 PM   #13
dewittk

Figured since I have tested everything else this would be a good place

Old 12-13-2018, 10:13 PM   #14
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I don't have much to add beyond what @RZNT4R advises. You said it yourself. If you hear the click, it's not the clutch interlock.

Is it the click of the solenoid, or is it the click of a little relay?

It feels like we're not being given all the info. It was working before the transmission was dropped. Then mysteriously the starter is shot and a relay is shorted?

I'm not buying these conclusions just yet. Trigger the starter by jumping B1 and B2. You can buy a hand-held switch just for that purpose.