follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-03-2020, 02:19 PM   #29
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
I read somewhere that the TRD pad are actually priced lower than the OEM original part. One person who ran them said they were barely better than stock pads. May want to do a search for feedback from people that have actually used them and have ran others to compare them to. But hey, it's TRD.

I haven’t found many reviews but they are consistent in saying that they are marginally better than stock, definitely no worse.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:31 AM   #30
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
I haven’t found many reviews but they are consistent in saying that they are marginally better than stock, definitely no worse.
This is all I could find really from a long time ago.: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59822

The 309 stoptech sports compared to the stock pads there is a noticeable increase in heat capacity and slightly better initial bite. More than just "barely better" than stock pads. Where the stock pads would fade, such as toward the bottom of a downhill run, on the stoptechs I'd have to be really pushing. At the track, depending on the driver they might last one lap or more, but they definitely did last for many more miles after a full track day.

Not sure what pad (Stoptechs) these other guys are using where it performs worse than stock, but I highly doubt they're the same ones ive been using.

The TRD pad seems to be similarly priced to the Stoptech sports, maybe a $10 more per pair. Worth a shot. For me, TRD pads would be a question mark that would cost me extra $20 to answer. I'd stick with a sure thing in the stoptechs, since I already know what to expect.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:32 AM   #31
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,084 Times in 1,435 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Pads do not exactly increase heat capacity, which is more thing of rotor mass (and from enhanced cooling rate in eg. BBK or from brake ducts and alike).

Uprated/more track oriented pads simply have higher working without fade temps range, not increased heat capacity of brakes.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
wparsons (01-07-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 12:31 PM   #32
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,224 Times in 7,328 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Pads do not exactly increase heat capacity, which is more thing of rotor mass (and from enhanced cooling rate in eg. BBK or from brake ducts and alike).

Uprated/more track oriented pads simply have higher working without fade temps range, not increased heat capacity of brakes.
Some pads......xp10's........transfer a lot of heat into the caliper.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:48 PM   #33
solidONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post

Higher temperature threshold before fading is what I meant by "heat capacity". Or "capacity to handle heat". technicalities.., I'm sure you knew what I meant. lmao

Old 01-07-2020, 12:17 PM   #34
r3myx626

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited ISM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
It does not.
Not true. If you're in a place that's cooler in the winter the stoptech 309 (Sport) will squeal. Mine squeal under light braking in the winter. They're fine at higher ambient temperature. However my biggest problem with them is the dust. They dust like crazy after a few weeks.
r3myx626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:48 PM   #35
solidONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3myx626 View Post
Not true. If you're in a place that's cooler in the winter the stoptech 309 (Sport) will squeal. Mine squeal under light braking in the winter. They're fine at higher ambient temperature. However my biggest problem with them is the dust. They dust like crazy after a few weeks.
I've been driving around all winter, no squealing at all on these pads. about to finish my 3rd set, and not once did they squeal. Definitely more dust than stock, but if you think this is dusty you must not have tried any track or street/track pads. Anything that is slightly more aggressive dust more than these.

Old 01-10-2020, 04:25 PM   #36
mrhayes1

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS white
Garage
Here's my 2 cents. I think aftermarket/performance brakes pads are highly overrated in terms of performance unless you are on a track, etc. I did quite a bit of research on aftermarket pads and was considering the Hawk pads (cant remember specific type/model). Anyway, after quite a bit of research, I stuck with OEM for the following reasons:

1. Consistency: I know OEMs are always consistent (unless driving really hard or on the track). I want to be a able to get off the freeway in Arizona in the middle of summer or winter and slam on the brakes and know exactly how they will behave. OEM pads are consistent and don't need a warm up time. If you buy a high temp performance pad you will probably pay the price for it when you get off the freeway after miles of not touching the brakes in the winter time.
2. Compound: I read various reviews on ceramic pads and stuff and was scared of destroying my rotors. Many reviews with higher performance pads blamed very premature failure of rotors on the pads. Remember, if you buy ceramic pads they may last forever....but your rotors wont.
3. Brake dust: OEM pads are good and brake dust isn't bad. I don't want my nice Niche wheels covered in brake dust after one day of driving just so I can shorten my stopping distance from 100-0 mph by 2 feet.
4. Squeal: OEM pads are quiet. Some aftermarket ones aren't.

In summary, my advice is go with OEM unless you either drive extremely hard on the street or track the car.
mrhayes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:53 PM   #37
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
This is all I could find really from a long time ago.: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59822

The 309 stoptech sports compared to the stock pads there is a noticeable increase in heat capacity and slightly better initial bite. More than just "barely better" than stock pads. Where the stock pads would fade, such as toward the bottom of a downhill run, on the stoptechs I'd have to be really pushing. At the track, depending on the driver they might last one lap or more, but they definitely did last for many more miles after a full track day.

Not sure what pad (Stoptechs) these other guys are using where it performs worse than stock, but I highly doubt they're the same ones ive been using.

The TRD pad seems to be similarly priced to the Stoptech sports, maybe a $10 more per pair. Worth a shot. For me, TRD pads would be a question mark that would cost me extra $20 to answer. I'd stick with a sure thing in the stoptechs, since I already know what to expect.
This was my exact experience with the 309 Stoptechs as well on the OEM brake setup. Better fade resistance than stock in aggressive or track driving. Initial bite was about the same. Pedal feel was solid with fresh fluid and a bleed. If you want an upgrade from stock for aggressive driving, they are a good low-cost option.

Only downside was more brake dust.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
solidONE (01-11-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 06:11 PM   #38
korhun
Database error

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 1,657 Times in 614 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
I can't see the break pads.
korhun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to korhun For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (01-10-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 06:21 PM   #39
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,224 Times in 7,328 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhayes1 View Post

1. Consistency: I know OEMs are always consistent (unless driving really hard or on the track). I want to be a able to get off the freeway in Arizona in the middle of summer or winter and slam on the brakes and know exactly how they will behave. OEM pads are consistent and don't need a warm up time. If you buy a high temp performance pad you will probably pay the price for it when you get off the freeway after miles of not touching the brakes in the winter time.

An aggressive track oriented pad is nowhere near this temperature sensitive.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:10 PM   #40
HachirocksU

Drives: Friggin Really Sweet
Hello i use Winmax W3. A W2/W3 sounds like its what fits your needs.
With W3 you dont have to worry about fade as much during ur rare runs and works right off and becomes optimum after a certain temperature threshold.

Heres a short blurb:
W2 – The W2 is a step up from the W1. It still provides a very consistent feel of the stock pads, use parameters are the same, where it is mainly designed for street use, but with a lot more overhead and the most sporting of the pads that are still non-metallic. Because it is non-metallic like the W1, it has no significant dust issue or noise levels to be concerned. W2 increases driver control feel, a bit more bite, and higher temperature ranges and predictable fall off for when it does fade eventually. You get a slightly better sporting use characters, and endurance, but still without the concerns associated with racing brakes. Perhaps the best I can recommend if you are a typical casual Sunday low speed track folk, or auto-crosser, and still predominantly daily driven car, on summer radials. It is also a good economical upgrade. It’s minimal requirement too, if you are a down-hill canyon enthusiast.

W3 – W3 is the most economical grade of so called, “metallic pads” which introduce a ton more braking control, very different bite characters that are more intended for track conditions, and use of race compound tires. If you are an avid track driver, or semi-professional autocrosser, this is where you’d start to see very positive and racing use braking forces. Of course, as with any metallic compound mix brake pads, you will encounter increased rotor wear, noises, and black dusting, and daily driven role becomes more a secondary use. It’s still perfectly safe for street, as long as you can deal with dust and slight noises. Some can, others abhor it… That’s just a choice for what people place as priority. W3 is VERY capable on the Sunday race scene, totally fir for those who use the brakes to 100% capacity, and driving skills to take it there. Autocrossers and canyon runners will feel a new level of control and bite, that extended consistently into very high temperature ranges. It does strike an exceleent balance for those that need a daily driven brake pad, and are not willing to forgo any performance, at cost of a bit of noise, dust, and slightly higher wear rate.
HachirocksU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:43 PM   #41
sneaky_pete

Drives: MY14 86 GTS Manual Velocity Orange
I have recently switched over to Intima SR pads. They're a street/race pad. I don't do any track work but wanted a pad that gives more bite for heavy road use i.e. blasting through the twisties. I am happy with them and they have been a good upgrade from the stock pads.

Don't know if these are available outside of Australia though.

https://www.intimabrakes.com.au/home...ate/intima-sr/
sneaky_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 02:01 AM   #42
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
I had the stop tech and they were only a tad better than the stock pads. You'll end up with more noise with a more aggressive pad (if you're okay with that).

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote