follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 12-24-2019, 06:27 AM   #183
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
No windows were up. I have a wind leak im chasing when I get up to higher speeds and its a windy day out. That's why you only hear it at the end
I swear my passenger window refuses to crank up all the way. And of course the weather stripping isn't remotely tight by the back of the windows, like it was just never glued on and it is just not meant to be tight there.

Did you put your Ace header on a scale? I've been wondering the actual weight of that, and whether or not titanium headers are significantly lighter.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 07:55 AM   #184
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beltax90 View Post
windows up??

sounds sick btw. went single catback and took out the rear seats... don't know if i could handle more than that!
Yeah windows up, its 32 and windy round these parts

All I have is a carpeted piece of coroplast where my rear seats were, the rear seats definitely offer some sound protection
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:14 AM   #185
SuperTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I swear my passenger window refuses to crank up all the way. And of course the weather stripping isn't remotely tight by the back of the windows, like it was just never glued on and it is just not meant to be tight there.

Did you put your Ace header on a scale? I've been wondering the actual weight of that, and whether or not titanium headers are significantly lighter.
Mine has more to do with the adjustment points after installing the CF doors. But it really only does it if theres a big wind gust. I really need a shop manual to find out what adjustment bolt does what instead of just guessing

Besides a few things in the beginning of my build every part in here has a pic on a scale. Its Christmas so ill be nice and save you some time searching through here

Ace 350 header = 9.75 lbs
350 overpipe = 3.5lbs

GruppeS UEL header= 15lbs

Stock header = 20.75

if your talking about those BLOX titanium headers I think they are around 5-6lbs when I was looking into them. But im sure you would need solid motor mounts as they would be prone to cracking.

ACE are really the best when you consider the power gains and the weight loss as well
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperTom For This Useful Post:
why? (12-25-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 01:34 PM   #186
SuperTom

Did 2 quick mods today Torque Solutions Rear Cam Plate, GoFastBits idler pulleys

Cam plate -.25lbs lighter than stock
GFB pulleys +.25lbs heavier than stock , But 2 of the stock pulleys are plastic all 4 of these look great quality aluminum

Here is the cam plate

Stock plate

Installed

GFB pulleys

Stock

Installed

Then cleaned up the engine bay a bit
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperTom For This Useful Post:
jflogerzi (12-24-2019), StraightOuttaCanadaEh (12-24-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 08:24 PM   #187
SuperTom

Got in my Cusco "soft" front sway bar from Japan, Just ordered the rear soft bar to match

~1lb lighter than stock

Old 12-29-2019, 08:35 PM   #188
SuperTom

Also found another bracket holding the solid brake lines to the frame. Was able to replace bracket with a zip tie to the frame + plus the area is covered by the underbody panels

.25 lbs lighter now!
Current weight ~2348

ALSO ordered a bunch of Titanium bolts
Titanium "Metal of the Gods"

Figured out which bolts where in the $325 underhood kit, paid about 100 piecing on my own. I may be short about 4 bolts I couldn't figure out but should be a fun mod. Only expecting to save about 1/2 lb

The Following User Says Thank You to SuperTom For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (12-29-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 01:27 AM   #189
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Got in my Cusco "soft" front sway bar from Japan, Just ordered the rear soft bar to match

~1lb lighter than stock
How does that bar feel or effect driving/handling in comparison to stock?

Your dedication to weight reduction is impressive.
Curious why you still have stock air box and haven’t switched to something like a perrin cai? I never weighed mine, but id be surprised if it was anything less then 2lbs lighter.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:37 AM   #190
SuperTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
How does that bar feel or effect driving/handling in comparison to stock?

Your dedication to weight reduction is impressive.
Curious why you still have stock air box and haven’t switched to something like a perrin cai? I never weighed mine, but id be surprised if it was anything less then 2lbs lighter.
Just put it on, Should make it a bit more compliant and more grip in the front. Car get off track when hitting a bump. I really need the rear one more to keep grip in the rear

Well heard the stock +17 air box is basically the older trd box. Plus its supposed to work well with the rest of the tune. But im always looking to get lighter so im open for suggestions if there are real weights.

Im finding quotes on the forums here of "this part takes off this much weight" but when I get it on the scale the difference is much less.

Anyway found this titanium intake pipe, I have to see if they make if for the 17+ model years
https://black-beat-motor.myshopify.c...7bf5aa63&_ss=r
Old 12-30-2019, 08:55 AM   #191
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Just put it on, Should make it a bit more compliant and more grip in the front. Car get off track when hitting a bump. I really need the rear one more to keep grip in the rear

Well heard the stock +17 air box is basically the older trd box. Plus its supposed to work well with the rest of the tune. But im always looking to get lighter so im open for suggestions if there are real weights.

Im finding quotes on the forums here of "this part takes off this much weight" but when I get it on the scale the difference is much less.

Anyway found this titanium intake pipe, I have to see if they make if for the 17+ model years
https://black-beat-motor.myshopify.c...7bf5aa63&_ss=r
so the cusco even with it being lighter then stock, is still a stiffer upgrade over stock? so you lose 1lbs + it improves performance?

Unfortunately i never weighed it. and it would be a pain to get back out just to weigh, but according to anthony's

"-03.300lbs | 06.388lb stock - 03.088lb FA20Club cold air intake + supplied K&N filter"

You would have to get your tune adjusted and MAF re-scaled though, it could possibly at 1-2hp, i doubt it would lose any HP at-least, but you should drop roughly 3lbs off the front.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:08 AM   #192
SuperTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
so the cusco even with it being lighter then stock, is still a stiffer upgrade over stock? so you lose 1lbs + it improves performance?

Unfortunately i never weighed it. and it would be a pain to get back out just to weigh, but according to anthony's

"-03.300lbs | 06.388lb stock - 03.088lb FA20Club cold air intake + supplied K&N filter"

You would have to get your tune adjusted and MAF re-scaled though, it could possibly at 1-2hp, i doubt it would lose any HP at-least, but you should drop roughly 3lbs off the front.

No the cusco soft are about 77% the strength of stock.
But since the 17+ went larger in the rear sway, the Cusco soft is going to be even softer and lighter than the 14mm stock on the older models. Softer in the rear should help with oversteer I have being so light in the ass.

You may be thinking why go softer when everyone in the world goes bigger.
-With my car being drastically lighter the suspension has less weight to move, so I don't need more
- I already have coilovers Meister R, The are considered softer compared to most offerings, but I feel small bumps can throw the car off a bit. The stiffness of the coilovers will make up for any difference the softer sway bars may exibit.
- The coilovers were really the first major mod I did before weight reductions. I haven't changed my height since then and the car has raised ~1/4 - 1/2" since then just from getting lighter
-Hey softer Sways are a hair lighter!

-Im wonder if some of that weight loss from the intake is from the sound snorkel removal as well. My intake is a cut open airdam, 17+ airbox/blitz filter, perrin tube. I think the only way to get lighter is a lighter than rubber tube, and a box made of Carbon Fiber instead of the plastic. I don't think theres much left to lose
Old 12-30-2019, 10:52 AM   #193
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
No the cusco soft are about 77% the strength of stock.
But since the 17+ went larger in the rear sway, the Cusco soft is going to be even softer and lighter than the 14mm stock on the older models. Softer in the rear should help with oversteer I have being so light in the ass.

You may be thinking why go softer when everyone in the world goes bigger.
-With my car being drastically lighter the suspension has less weight to move, so I don't need more
- I already have coilovers Meister R, The are considered softer compared to most offerings, but I feel small bumps can throw the car off a bit. The stiffness of the coilovers will make up for any difference the softer sway bars may exibit.
- The coilovers were really the first major mod I did before weight reductions. I haven't changed my height since then and the car has raised ~1/4 - 1/2" since then just from getting lighter
-Hey softer Sways are a hair lighter!

-Im wonder if some of that weight loss from the intake is from the sound snorkel removal as well. My intake is a cut open airdam, 17+ airbox/blitz filter, perrin tube. I think the only way to get lighter is a lighter than rubber tube, and a box made of Carbon Fiber instead of the plastic. I don't think theres much left to lose
Ok, good to know, that makes sense for your application. My car being an auto + supercharged makes it a good 100+lbs heavier then yours to start with, and I haven't gone nearly as extreme with the weight loss. I am probably at 2690-2700lbs curb weight. I installed cusco front and rear strut tower braces and surprisingly noticed a huge difference in stiffness and body roll so it would seem kind of redundant for my application to use a softer sway bar. but i can see how it makes sense for yours.
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
SuperTom (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 01:00 PM   #194
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I've ran my stock MY13 airbox, MY17+ airbox and now TRD air box. The TRD is a much different design. Its huge, I don't think it would save any weight.lol
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PulsarBeeerz For This Useful Post:
SuperTom (12-30-2019)
Old 01-04-2020, 02:26 PM   #195
SuperTom

A nice breakthrough today. Finally got back to this Mishimoto slim fan setup.
The Reason I bought was to run only the passenger fan, Driver fan is really the extra fan for AC

Removing one fan made both not work, same thing when trying to remove different fuses/relays. Either they both worked or were both off.

Came up with running a bunch of resistors together. 2 resistors was running hot, went to 4 and it was just warm, Obviously something to monitor going forward.

Lost -2.5 lbs on the Driver front!

New weight 2341lbs

Old 01-04-2020, 04:04 PM   #196
Shadotracker

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ TS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm surprised that you haven't made the just the airbox out of chloroplast just yet. That is what my friend did for his STU build for his STI in autocross.
Shadotracker is offline   Reply With Quote