follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-24-2019, 02:37 PM   #29
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,396 Times in 5,260 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
That's what I mean. Have the dealer do it because they will need to make you whole if they mess up. Do not pay out of pocket for the recall.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Right. But there are people who had the dealer do it, and the dealer did not make them whole. They were stuck out of pocket for new engines

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (12-25-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 02:38 PM   #30
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,003 Times in 1,451 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Right. But there are people who had the dealer do it, and the dealer did not make them whole. They were stuck out of pocket for new engines
Not sure how that's even possible.. but that sucks

2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 02:56 PM   #31
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

Lots of documentation of this hence the ambivalence.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (12-25-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 05:09 PM   #32
Stomachbuzz

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Recall comes out --> Subaru "fixes" car for free --> while doing the recall, Subaru mechanic applies too much RTV goop --> RTV goop 'dislodges' while driving afterwards and gets clogged in the oil pump --> motor blows up due to shoddy work done by Subaru --> "hey Subaru, my motor is trashed because of you" --> "nope, not our fault. New motor will be $7k. Get rekt, kid"

End of story.

That's what this entire debate is about.
Stomachbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stomachbuzz For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (12-25-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 05:13 PM   #33
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,003 Times in 1,451 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomachbuzz View Post
Recall comes out --> Subaru "fixes" car for free --> while doing the recall, Subaru mechanic applies too much RTV goop --> RTV goop 'dislodges' while driving afterwards and gets clogged in the oil pump --> motor blows up due to shoddy work done by Subaru --> "hey Subaru, my motor is trashed because of you" --> "nope, not our fault. New motor will be $7k. Get rekt, kid"

End of story.

Typically there is a warranty period after the recall work but yes your right...

2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 05:44 PM   #34
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Not sure how you havent seen or heard of the issues here. It's one of the hottest topics on the forum.

People are right to have adverse reactions to the recall considering just SOME of the experiences being relayed.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 05:47 PM   #35
TommyW

Quote:

End of story.

yep....
Old 12-25-2019, 02:54 PM   #36
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I was a little worried about taking my car in for the recall. I found a large dealership that did a lot of service work. I asker the service manager and he said they had done about 20 recalls since the campaign started and none had come back for any issues. He said there were two master techs and they were the only ones performing the work.

So far I've gotten my car back and no issues. Haven't tracked it yet, so that should be the final test.

My advice is once you get the car back, drive it hard and keep it stock for the first few thousand miles. The quicker you can figure out if there are any issues, the harder it'll be for the dealer to deny fault.

There's some risk involved, but in hindsight, I definitely would not pay out of pocket for a mechanic to perform the repair. I'd rather find an experienced dealership and trust that they've done it enough times to not screw it up.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:39 AM   #37
TommyW

Yes I plan on replacing clutch and TOB during the fix. I DID learn something interesting though. I’ll use the Exedy OEM kit but will have Toyota supply the TOB as I contacted Exedy and they told me their kit includes the old bearing and the new updated one is only available through Toyota. So it sounds like anytime you replace the TOB it’s best to use the one directly from the factory.
Old 12-26-2019, 11:57 AM   #38
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
I was a little worried about taking my car in for the recall. I found a large dealership that did a lot of service work. I asker the service manager and he said they had done about 20 recalls since the campaign started and none had come back for any issues. He said there were two master techs and they were the only ones performing the work.

So far I've gotten my car back and no issues. Haven't tracked it yet, so that should be the final test.

My advice is once you get the car back, drive it hard and keep it stock for the first few thousand miles. The quicker you can figure out if there are any issues, the harder it'll be for the dealer to deny fault.

There's some risk involved, but in hindsight, I definitely would not pay out of pocket for a mechanic to perform the repair. I'd rather find an experienced dealership and trust that they've done it enough times to not screw it up.
If it lasts for thousands of miles you are good. Most I've seen were within a couple hundred. The 2013 sitting in my driveway made it a whole 120 miles after the recall work before it came back to the dealer with rod knock.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (12-26-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 05:41 PM   #39
subaru

Drives: STI
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
One thing people may not know or consider that alarmed me right away was subaru did not have enough people and before anything happened with the recall they started training people and having reps come out. TO me this is totally bogus, I want someone to replace my valves who does it on a regular basis, the reality is subaru was upgrading oil changers to do this type of work and is part of the reason for failure. An idiot working on the motor. Hence the inability to clean sealant correctly, a basic thing for these motors. Subaru had unqualified idiots fixing our cars, thats why the failures.

I can tell you a shop that builds engines for subaru is going to do a fucking helluv a lot better job. Sadly the best bet is get it fixed at subaru and then just get a new car. I just hope mine doesn't blow up before I unloaded it. It basically just sits in the driveway now, I'm completely over it.

I'm still awaiting a 5,000 off a new subaru coupon to make up for my fucked resale and shitty sounding valvetrain and crappily aligned shifter. fu subaru.

The reason you get pushback is it's hard for other people to accept they have been bent over by subaru, or accept the potential for it to happen to them exists.
subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:56 PM   #40
Stomachbuzz

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru View Post
One thing people may not know or consider that alarmed me right away was subaru did not have enough people and before anything happened with the recall they started training people and having reps come out. TO me this is totally bogus, I want someone to replace my valves who does it on a regular basis, the reality is subaru was upgrading oil changers to do this type of work and is part of the reason for failure. An idiot working on the motor. Hence the inability to clean sealant correctly, a basic thing for these motors. Subaru had unqualified idiots fixing our cars, thats why the failures.

I can tell you a shop that builds engines for subaru is going to do a fucking helluv a lot better job. Sadly the best bet is get it fixed at subaru and then just get a new car. I just hope mine doesn't blow up before I unloaded it. It basically just sits in the driveway now, I'm completely over it.

I'm still awaiting a 5,000 off a new subaru coupon to make up for my fucked resale and shitty sounding valvetrain and crappily aligned shifter. fu subaru.

The reason you get pushback is it's hard for other people to accept they have been bent over by subaru, or accept the potential for it to happen to them exists.
So you have an issue with Subaru training people to do the job?

You say "I want someone to replace my valves who does it on a regular basis"

but the issue is this type of work is extremely rare.

Rarely is an engine opened up. Even more rare for a dealer tech to ever open up a transmission. If it's broke, rip it out and slap a new one in. Diagnosis or replacement of internal parts NEVER happens with transmissions at the dealership. Even a vast majority of "transmission" shops won't crack the case open. Just rip it out and slap a reman Jasper unit in or whatever.

Same with engines. There is no "engine work". With the exception of an oddball recall like this, the dealer will always find a way to spin it to just throw a new block or complete engine in the car.
"Well, the way the labor rate is, it's just cheaper to replace the whole motor" or whatever else.
Dealerships don't even have machine shops. Much less anyone trained to use the equipment.
It's just R&R (remove and replace, no 'repairing').

Although I've never owned a Subaru before this, I will poke fun at the "lol Subaru - head gasket!" meme.
Even replacing a head gasket is far less involved than this job. When doing a head gasket, the head stays in tact. Just remove it, maybe test it for warpage, and put it right back on. Time the chain and go.
Stomachbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 01:33 PM   #41
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru View Post

LOL I don't know of a single dealer who trained their express lane oil change techs to do this work.

This work, and any other more advanced work, are done by the master techs at the dealer. Not the oil change express lube guys. And it doesn't even make sense from the dealer's perspective.. why would you want to take a very experienced tech and put them on jobs lesser experienced techs are perfectly capable of doing?
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 02:17 PM   #42
DeadBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

End of story.

Yep, I guess that's the standard response they are all told to use. I sent them pics of the oil pick up after the tear down but was told there's not "enough" sealant in the pickup to cause the problem.
WTF "not enough sealant in your oil". Big hint .....there should be NONE, NADA, ZILCH. Is there a specification somewhere that indicates the allowable amount of sealant that's permitted in your oil?
I'm pretty sure once they got off the phone with me they started laughing....ha suckered another one.
DeadBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote