follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-25-2016, 08:53 AM   #1
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,244 Times in 672 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
AP Sprint kit durability in road salt/magnesium chloride

I'm considering purchasing the AP Sprint kit. My car is used on the track and I find myself having to rebuild calipers frequently. Dust boots crack and thinks just don't work smoothly.
I realize I am in a situation that requires compromise. I either:
1. Rebuild OEM calipers frequently and deal with overheating brakes
2. Buy some other BBK with dust seals and hope they don't need frequent rebuilding
3. Buy the AP Sprint kit and hope the mag chloride doesn't destroy them
I spoke with the engineer at AP yesterday and he said they don't have any long-term testing with the kit in salty environments. I live in CO and it's mostly dry here during the winter. But several times each winter we'll see enough snow that they spray mag chloride on the roads.
I'm not asking anyone here to theorize how they will hold up. I'm looking for people that have first-hand experience with this kit that has run it year-round in an area where roads get salted in the winter. Can anyone share their experiences with me? I generally keep my cars for a long time and want to ensure I'm not abusing parts.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pat For This Useful Post:
JDM4E (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 09:31 AM   #2
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I'm considering purchasing the AP Sprint kit. My car is used on the track and I find myself having to rebuild calipers frequently. Dust boots crack and thinks just don't work smoothly.
2. Buy some other BBK with dust seals and hope they don't need frequent rebuilding
I spoke with the engineer at AP yesterday and he said they don't have any long-term testing with the kit in salty environments. I live in CO and it's mostly dry here during the winter. But several times each winter we'll see enough snow that they spray mag chloride on the roads.
I'm not asking anyone here to theorize how they will hold up. I'm looking for people that have first-hand experience with this kit that has run it year-round in an area where roads get salted in the winter. Can anyone share their experiences with me? I generally keep my cars for a long time and want to ensure I'm not abusing parts.
Have you considered the Stoptech 328x28 BBK? It has dust boots that seem to hold up to track use. Would be my choice for a BBK that will be exposed to salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
UPDATE:
- XP12s lasted 7 days on NA power with TF brake ducts (double what I got with stock brakes and the pads are the same price
- Dust boots look great
Quote:
UPDATE:
- Another 6+ track days on the XP12s but now with JRSC power Switched to APR duct kit since TF would not work with JRSC
- Dust boots still look fine after 12 track days
- Rotors look good too.

Brake feel is really nice and clearly the brakes are no where close to being over taxed.

Very pleased, and the cost was great too ($1800 and easy to install)
Quote:
UPDATE:
- 5+ track days on the XP12s
- Dust boots still look fine after 17 track days
- Rotors look good too.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...52#post2721252

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
ajc209 (10-26-2016), JDM4E (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 10:18 AM   #3
Pat

Garage
Thanks, DarkSunrise. I did see some of those posts, but not all of them. When I learned they use dust boots I just dismissed the StopTech kit. Hmm...maybe it's time to reconsider.
What are the chances the StopTech boots will last as long on track as the OEM caliper boots last on the street? I realise they look good after 17 track days, but that could be one season for me. It could be they start to crack after 20 track days, at which point I'm still rebuilding them nearly annually. I'd be really interested to see how the ST boots hold up over 50+ track days.
Again, thanks for the help, DS!
Old 10-25-2016, 10:54 AM   #4
DarkSunrise

Quote:
Thanks, DarkSunrise. I did see some of those posts, but not all of them. When I learned they use dust boots I just dismissed the StopTech kit. Hmm...maybe it's time to reconsider.
What are the chances the StopTech boots will last as long on track as the OEM caliper boots last on the street? I realise they look good after 17 track days, but that could be one season for me. It could be they start to crack after 20 track days, at which point I'm still rebuilding them nearly annually. I'd be really interested to see how the ST boots hold up over 50+ track days.
Again, thanks for the help, DS!
Hmm 50 track days is a lot. I don't think @Sleepless is there yet since he had 17 track days on his Stoptechs as of August this year. Seeing his dust boots holding up with JRSC and XP12's is encouraging though.

@AZP Installs uses the same Stoptech ST40 kits in their shop car and Spec86 car. Wonder if they're closing in on 50 track days with them and can report on the condition of the boots.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 10-25-2016, 11:13 AM   #5
Pat

Garage
Thanks again, DS. Yes, knowing Sleepless has much more power than I do helps me feel better about it. Especially knowing I'm in Denver and make less power than stock up here. I appreciate you introducing those two guys into this thread. Hopefully they can give me some real world feedback.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:25 AM   #6
DarkSunrise

Quote:
Thanks again, DS. Yes, knowing Sleepless has much more power than I do helps me feel better about it. Especially knowing I'm in Denver and make less power than stock up here. I appreciate you introducing those two guys into this thread. Hopefully they can give me some real world feedback.
No problem - hopefully didn't derail your thread by introducing discussion of the Stoptechs!

I just didn't think you'd find many people who had bought $2000 AP Sprints and ran them for extended periods through salt. I guess you never know though.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 10-25-2016, 11:43 AM   #7
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Closest I can help is noting they show minimal signs of issues from early spring ventures where the winter crap is still being washed away. There is surface buildup on some of the bolts and on aluminum parts of my coilovers, but when I pulled everything apart to inspect the guts seemed OK. I didn't disassemble the calipers, just pads out and inspected.

That said, I'd be wary. On the other hand, you're probably doing a full bleed in the spring if not flush... Why not just swap to OEM for winters? With that much track time it seems a small time investment to avoid the compromise entirely.

Also, word from someone that drove Stoptechs and a couple weeks later my Sprints... AP Sprint is better. not to mention lighter.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (03-25-2019), Pat (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 12:02 PM   #8
Pat

Garage
Thanks, cjd. I have considered running OEM in the winter and swapping to AP in the summer. At first blush it seems a little silly or overkill to me, but I suppose it's not all that crazy.
Also, thanks for the Stoptech/AP comparison. Do you know what they liked better about the APs? Light weight is certainly appealing to me.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:21 PM   #9
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thanks, cjd. I have considered running OEM in the winter and swapping to AP in the summer. At first blush it seems a little silly or overkill to me, but I suppose it's not all that crazy.
Also, thanks for the Stoptech/AP comparison. Do you know what they liked better about the APs? Light weight is certainly appealing to me.
I believe it was pedal feel and ease of getting just the right pressure... All the way to locking hem up. Pads may also be different, I have AX6. That could be a lot of the difference.

I agree on the OEM swap sounding a tad crazy but I may be doing it this year... my wife informed me she doesn't trust her car for the holiday trips. (10+ year old Prius... It should be fine but has had some starting issues I think were 12v battery related, as a tender seems to have fixed them...) It's just work though, and gives you an easy season to send the AP off for a refresh when it's time for that. Form the number of track days you do, it doesn't strike me as substantial extra work being what you might already be doing. The appeal of not bothering is also clear...
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
Pat (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 05:04 PM   #10
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
The appeal of not bothering is also clear...
On that note, Pat why not just get a winter beater? The brakes won't be the only thing exposed to mag chloride, not to mention that driving in winter exposes your car to other drivers who might not be able to stop (I might be an AZ boy, but have visited ND several times mid-winter and seen some shit).
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:24 PM   #11
Pat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
On that note, Pat why not just get a winter beater? The brakes won't be the only thing exposed to mag chloride, not to mention that driving in winter exposes your car to other drivers who might not be able to stop (I might be an AZ boy, but have visited ND several times mid-winter and seen some shit).
A winter beater as an alternative to a $15,000 car? Many would consider a $15,000 car the winter beater. Let's face it, we basically drive economy cars that handle really well and are a ton of fun. I'm not going to buy a second car so I don't have to expose a Subaru to winter conditions. it's not like it's a fancy car. Besides, although it is terrible in the snow, it sure makes for some fun times!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pat For This Useful Post:
fuddbutter (10-26-2016), Randoman5 (10-25-2018), why? (10-26-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 06:59 PM   #12
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
@dp1 lives in a winter type environment.

We also have a CSG-Spec Brembo GT kit that should be coming in soon. This uses the Brembo GT caliper and a 1-piece rotor (326x30). The Brembo GT kit is spec'd by CSG and built by Brembo for this specific platform. Brake bias is near stock, much more so than the Essex AP Sprint Kit, which happens to have the closest brake bias to stock compared to any other available kit on the market. Thanks!
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
Pat (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 07:44 PM   #13
Pat

Garage
Good to know, thank you. And thanks for bringing dp1 into this. Forgot about that guy. I'm looking forward to what he has to say.
I'm hesitant to go with a one-piece rotor, but won't outright say I will not use them. It seems silly to me to go with a BBK and not go for the lighter two-piece option. Maybe I'll give you guys a call this week to talk about it.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:55 PM   #14
dp1
driving smoother faster

Drives: Sold
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSpace Garage View Post
@dp1 lives in a winter type environment.

We also have a CSG-Spec Brembo GT kit that should be coming in soon. This uses the Brembo GT caliper and a 1-piece rotor (326x30). The Brembo GT kit is spec'd by CSG and built by Brembo for this specific platform. Brake bias is near stock, much more so than the Essex AP Sprint Kit, which happens to have the closest brake bias to stock compared to any other available kit on the market. Thanks!
I used AP Sprint in salty North East winters and I saw some corrosion on pistons but did not affect performance during the winter or after the winter throughout the entire North East track season following the winter. Piston boots (don't exist on AP Sprint) will disintegrate under track conditions so why bother unless you change them before every winter (not trivial). I don't drive my car in salty winter conditions anymore (no longer a daily and garaged during the winter), but for a tracked daily I would still go for the Sprint kit to get the track performance and just rinse the calipers (or car wash) as often as you can during salty conditions. Even if you don't, it won't be too bad. Either way, rebuild once every 1-2 years to be safe, at around $250 or so with shipping. Others may know better, this is what I did and would do.

On rotors - one-piece, two-piece, who cares unless you're chasing rainbows
dp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dp1 For This Useful Post:
cjd (10-26-2016), kevaughan (06-15-2023), Pat (10-25-2016)