follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Scion FR-S and Toyota 86

User Tag List

Old 10-18-2016, 02:31 PM   #15
Lantana frs

Drives: 13 frs red
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Just think, in the "muscle car" world the 2V GTs are considered dogs.

They did mention in this article that the torque dip is alleviated, but on recent dyno plots it shows just as prevalent. Soooo, I'm not sure on that one.
The power band looks the same with the 17 elevated a little on the graph.
Lantana frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:35 PM   #16
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantana frs View Post
It can show up on a graph, and at the same time be felt less or even not at all.

Here's @DarkSunrise ' s excellent post on the dip. A lot of cars have them. How much you feel it depends on how you drive, gearing, total HP and TQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Lots of high rpm, NA cars have uneven torque curves.

FR-S/BRZ:

987 Cayman S:

981 Cayman S:

Mustang GT350:

S2000:

Ferrari 430:

GT3 RS:

You can definitely feel it in the Twins, but not a huge deal. For daily driving, keep it below 3200 RPM. For spirited driving, keep it above 4500 RPM.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
HKz (10-18-2016), new2subaru (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 02:36 PM   #17
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,132 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
Oh sweet! Thanks for posting this! I like the reviews from Hooniverse!

~ Read the review ~
Good review for the most part but I don't agree about it not having enough power. Honestly...I test drove a Honda Fit with 130Hp and felt like that car had enough for daily driving.

But 200Hp is not?

For me, this car has plenty of enough power for daily driving and it doesn't get boring. My BMW 335I with 300Hp got boring. So I don't understand the logic behind these thoughts.
...because most "drivers" these days are used to gobs of torque coming instantly or they are worried about driving the car close to redline. The majority of people I have spoken to who have complained about the acceleration power of our twins have never taken the revs past 5 K. The power naysayers were boring to listen to since day one but I guess most reviewers wouldn't know what else to talk about
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 03:10 PM   #18
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantana frs View Post

Correct, exactly as I said. Still prevalent.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:54 PM   #19
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
everyone says this car needs more power...what they really mean is i wish it had more low-end torque
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:06 PM   #20
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX86 View Post
everyone says this car needs more power...what they really mean is i wish it had more low-end torque

Eh, I'm not so sure about that. If it had more torque only it would just get to "slow" faster.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:20 PM   #21
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Eh, I'm not so sure about that. If it had more torque only it would just get to "slow" faster.
exactly my point
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:45 PM   #22
Lantana frs

Drives: 13 frs red
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Lets be honest though, smoothing that torque curve with a header and tune makes a day and night difference.
Lantana frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:15 PM   #23
Guru Woodman

Drives: 2015 BRZ Sport Tech CWP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
At the risk of beating a dead horse:

I think that the whole discussion about lack of power and torque is fuelled by the North American car culture, where people are used to big engines and loads of torque and straight line push. European and Asian markets are quite different, where vehicle dynamics matter more the raw power. The whole car modding scene is also way bigger in NA then Europe where lots of passionate enthusiasts drive their car relatively unchanged, especially when it come to engine modifications.

The discussion here is always goes the same, blah blah need power, my Mustang is cheaper and has more power blah blah.
But if you look at the overall package, the 86 is just an exceptionally balanced offering. 100 hp per liter (now even 102.5 hp), an engine with two characters, one below 4500 rpm where it's easy going and compliant, and 4500 rpm and up, where it becomes spirited and happy.
And I honestly don't believe 80 % of the people complaining about the torque dip. They have no idea, see a graph and pretend they have a 'state of the art butt dyno' that feels the dip in torque. Yes, the engine changes and you feel the transition when you rev it, but that is not a torque dip.

Would I LIKE more power? Sure, I am an enthusiast and the whole idea of tweaking and tuning appeals to me. But there is a chance that you disturb the balance Toyota/Subaru have been trying to accomplish with the car. So personally I would never go overboard and try to make the car into something it is not designed to be. If I wanted that, I would have bought a different car to begin with.
Do I NEED more power, of course not. Not for daily driving on public roads.
Things are different when you use it as track car, but Toyota/Subaru and the after market business has lots of offering to make the 86 even more competent than it already is.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:46 PM   #24
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

The north american car market also caters to people driving on well maintained, high speed limit highways with little curves normally.
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 01:41 AM   #25
Train

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I dont really agree with majority of this article starting with design and materials. Though the design looks much better in person than in pictures or video, I cant help but feel that this refreshed face will not age well. The additional "aggression" they've added is quite disruptive to the flow of the design especially when you assess everything from body and fender to nose of the facia. The headlights are very reminiscent of FT86 concept 2 lights so I do like them but not as much as the original GT86 lights. The "subtle" badges of 86 are not really that subtle when they're literally plastered everywhere throughout the car. This granlux material is very nice to the touch but unless you're really good at maintaining materials like alcantara, suede and etc i can see this actually being a con in the long term (for those of you guys who have experience with dirty alcantara/suede, you know what i'm talking about). Then again, these are just my opinion and I suppose its different strokes for different folks.

Also in regards to topic of power on the streets... Since I've neither driven anything above 200hp or track my FR-S my opinion may differ from majority, but i have never felt that this car had inadequate amount of power or torque for daily driving. Most people dont really rev their engines to their peak torque/hp on normal roads so if i downshift im usually accelerating enough to be able to pass most people...
Train is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Train For This Useful Post:
Guru Woodman (10-19-2016), Import_Lexus (10-19-2016), Mr.Impreza (10-19-2016), Taka (10-19-2016), Tcoat (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 12:52 PM   #26
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,926 Times in 2,176 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
The Pistonheads forum based in Brittan seem to hold the same opinion as the motoheads over here.
"Needs 300 horsepowers or it's useless." - From all the tiny diesel repmobile drivers.

They don't get it either.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:15 PM   #27
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Train View Post
I dont really agree with majority of this article starting with design and materials. Though the design looks much better in person than in pictures or video, I cant help but feel that this refreshed face will not age well. The additional "aggression" they've added is quite disruptive to the flow of the design especially when you assess everything from body and fender to nose of the facia. The headlights are very reminiscent of FT86 concept 2 lights so I do like them but not as much as the original GT86 lights. The "subtle" badges of 86 are not really that subtle when they're literally plastered everywhere throughout the car. This granlux material is very nice to the touch but unless you're really good at maintaining materials like alcantara, suede and etc i can see this actually being a con in the long term (for those of you guys who have experience with dirty alcantara/suede, you know what i'm talking about). Then again, these are just my opinion and I suppose its different strokes for different folks.

Also in regards to topic of power on the streets... Since I've neither driven anything above 200hp or track my FR-S my opinion may differ from majority, but i have never felt that this car had inadequate amount of power or torque for daily driving. Most people dont really rev their engines to their peak torque/hp on normal roads so if i downshift im usually accelerating enough to be able to pass most people...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
The Pistonheads forum based in Brittan seem to hold the same opinion as the motoheads over here.
"Needs 300 horsepowers or it's useless." - From all the tiny diesel repmobile drivers.

They don't get it either.

What sort of review did you guys expect from a place called "Hooniverse" anyway?