follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation Production Subaru BRZ Revealed! (Press Release + Photos)

(Press release Pictures below)

Tokyo, November 30, 2011
- Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, announced its world premiere of “SUBARU BRZ (display model)” at the 42nd Tokyo 2011. (Open to public from December 3 to 11 at Tokyo Big Sight)

BRZ is a rear-wheel drive sports car featuring the Horizontally-Opposed Boxer engine. It was developed as a joint-project between Subaru and Toyota Motor Corporation, to bring to the world a sports car with superior steering response and driving pleasure that everyone can experience. The Subaru Boxer engine in the BRZ was positioned even lower than other Subaru models so that the BRZ has one of the lowest possible centers of gravity s on the market today. This low center of gravity produces astonishing handling character and combined with a light-weight chassis BRZ realizes Subaru’s aim for “Pure Handling Delight” -- the taken to a new level.

Major Features
Concept
The product concept of BRZ is “Pure Handling Delight.” The Horizontally-Opposed Boxer engine has inherent qualities of low center of gravity,lightweight, and compactness. These attributes are maximized by placing this engine even lower and closer to the center of the chassis. These factors contributed to BRZ’s low center of gravity -one of the lowest possible. The BRZ is a fun sports car that any driver can enjoy driving with peace of mind.

Design
·“Ultra-low Center of Gravity Package”
The BRZ has a low-mounted Boxer engine on a specially designed sub-frame that forms an “ultra-low center of gravity package”. With this arrangement, BRZ achieved a low driving position typical of a sports car. Overall height of BRZ is 1,300 mm and it has a wide and low body of a stylish coupe at 1775mm. Yet, it allows for 2+2 seating and a trunk with ample space. Not only is the BRZ a sports car, but it can also be a suitable partner for long tours with its unexpected utility.

·Exterior
Subaru aimed for a sports car design that instinctively conveys the car’s fun-to-drive character. In addition, it was detailed to be instantly recognizable as a Subaru.

oFront fascia
The “ultra-low center of gravity package” also allowed a low hood design. This low hood and bulging front fenders raise expectations for the BRZ’s drivability. Also, to communicate the Subaru identity the Subaru six-star ornament, headlights and hexagon lower grille follow the Subaru design motif common across new Subaru models.

oSide
The low center of gravity enhances BRZ’s sensuous beauty with its shapely fender flares. The aesthetic beauty is combined with functional beauty that advances aerodynamics through such areas as the C-pillar shape, rear glass inclination, trunk layout. As would be expected from a sports car, the front and rear overhangs were shortened to express the BRZ’s liveliness. The front fender is accentuated with a distinctive garnish.

oRear fascia
The projecting rear wheel arches sit by way of contrast to the compact cabin and emphasizes the beauty of the BRZ’s rear view.

·Interior
Details were carefully designed to allow a new level of fun-to-drive experience in which the driver and vehicle become one.
- The steering wheel was made smaller to achieve sports car maneuverability.
- A tachometer with digitally displayed speedometer is placed in the center of the gauges so that the driver can instantly see information without diverting attention from the road.
- Bespoke sports car seats were designed to hold the driver and passenger and feature lowered sitting positions to match the “ultra-low center of gravity package”.

Mechanisms
·Engine
Making full use of the design concept of the new-generation Boxer engine, the newly developed engine made exclusively for the BRZ is highly efficient with superior output and environmental friendliness. It realizes an exhilarating high revving nature of a naturally aspirated sports engine.
- It has square bore and stroke of 86 X 86 mm.
- Due to the joint development with Toyota Motor Corporation, Toyota’s direct injection and port injection technology “D-4S” was incorporated in the BRZ’s power unit.
- To achieve the “ultra-low center of gravity package”, the engine as a whole has been made more compact by such means as adopting the shorter intake manifold and the shallower oil pan.

·Transmission
The joy of sports car driving was realized through a transmission that focuses on shift feel and response.
- The 6-speed MT employs a short stroke shift lever. The lever was optimized in rigidity, shift quality and weight application in its pursuit of a superb shift feel.
- The 6-speed AT has “S mode” for better shifting response and “M mode” for optional shifting. Also, with the paddle shift and downshifting blipping control, this model can respond faithfully to the driver’s inputs.

·Body
The lightweight yet highly-rigid body was developed exclusively to maximize the advantages of the “ultra-low center of gravity package”.
- Low center of gravity and low driving position were achieved by the perimeter type body frame layout.
- The body has a rigid and durable frame structure that also works in balance with the vehicle’s light-weight. The rigidity is optimized for high drivability and appropriate durability is maintained for collision safety.
- High tensile steel was used in the body to contribute to weight reduction. Effective use of this material in the upper structure of the BRZ contributed to its low center of gravity.
- The front hood employs aluminum for lightness. The structure was fine-tuned for a low styling that also improves pedestrian protection performance.

·Chassis
Excellent maneuverability and stability of the “ultra-low center of gravity package” offers direct and sharp response to steering and enhances driver’s connection to the car
- The front suspension employs struts for light-weight and high rigidity, while a double wishbone layout is adopted at the rear for better shock absorption.
- To gain a low front hood from the “ultra-low center of gravity package”, the front strut mount was lowered while maintaining the stroke.
- The tires are 215/45R17 combined with lightweight and highly rigid aluminum wheels.
- All models are equipped with electronic stability control to provide both driving pleasure and safety.

Major Specifications
Overall Length X Width X Height (mm) / (in)
4,240 X 1,775 X 1,300
170 X 70 X 52
Wheelbase (mm) / (in)
2,570 / 101
Curb weight (kg) / (lb)
1,220 / 2,689*1 *2
Maximum output (kw(PS)) / hp
147(200) / 200 *1
Maximum torque (N.m(kg.m)) / (lb/ft)
205(20.9) / 151 *1
Power unit
Engine
2.0-liter Horizontally-Opposed Boxer
Direct Injection engine

Transmission
6MT/E-6AT
Drive train
Rear-wheel drive
Suspension
front: strut / rear: double wishbone
tire size
215/45R17
*1 reference value
*2 average value

(Bigger Picture Version is in another thread)

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...1749#post81749
Attached Images

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
BRZC
Banned

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Looks good, but FRS/GT86 gets my vote.
I like them both.

So Road & Track actually had the correct photos. They were not shops.
BRZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
Zgrinch

Drives: 2013 Limited DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Looks good, but FRS/GT86 gets my vote.
+1
Zgrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
BootpTraphik
loading in progress

Drives: Genesis Coupe 3.8 M/T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
sooo, are the tail lights different?

I'm not sure which front end I like more. I'm not a fan of either, but I think I am leaning towards Toyota? That antenna is weird too...

Overall, I like!

Resident GenCoupe lurker and FT-86 fan
BootpTraphik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #5
cassidy0998

Drives: '99 Ranger / '94 APU Supra / Ninja!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *********.com View Post
I like them both.

+1
cassidy0998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
poormans_LFA
FT86Club.com O.G.

Drives: Gunmetal Gundam Wing Zero Custom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
i'll take the Scion that doesn't have the big black bumper grill insert. I will take those side scuttles off of the BRZ though.
poormans_LFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
That rear diffuser looks rediculous. I was also hoping they'd have red taillights... Oh well.

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
BRZC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootpTraphik View Post
sooo, are the tail lights different?

I'm not sure which front end I like more. I'm not a fan of either, but I think I am leaning towards Toyota? That antenna is weird too...

Overall, I like!
Taillights look the same, antenna can be changed.

The more info that comes out, the more I smell a rivalry.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #9
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *********.com View Post
I like them both.

True, after all the countless posts and speculations, we finally know what both versions look like. Overall, I'm very pleased of the outcome of both so all that is left to be comfirmed is the price and what Scion version we will get.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #10
KaliKev
FT86 News Addict

Drives: Toyota FJ
I smell fake fender vents...

But otherwise...
KaliKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #11
BRZC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceywilly View Post
That rear diffuser looks rediculous. I was also hoping they'd have red taillights... Oh well.
Um... Diffusers are the same...

Old 11-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #12
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliKev View Post
I smell fake fender vents...

But otherwise...
Don't hate, that's an Autozone's signature piece!

Old 11-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #13
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
is the op post owner part of our forum umbrella? I know there's a Scion FRS forum that's under one of this site's admin lol. On another note, I love BRZ <3 I hope it look more different in the real thing, not sure if that is the real thing. SO is it the real thing I'm so confused.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #14
KaliKev
FT86 News Addict

Drives: Toyota FJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
Don't hate, that's an Autozone's signature piece!

Yes now I can interchange them!
KaliKev is offline   Reply With Quote