follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

View Poll Results: Interested in a double din Android unit?
Yes, I'd be interested 247 78.66%
Maybe, depends on the capabilities of the deck. 67 21.34%
Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 09-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Who's interested in a full Android head unit?

I've been talking to the shop that did my audio install (also posted in this forum) and wanted to see how many people would be interested in getting it. They are open to the idea of a group buy. Pricing would start at 599, and go down as the number of people in the group go up. I don't know the specifics as to what the stages are for the price breaks. But I can get that info.

For those who haven't seen my thread, here's the head unit portion:

I saved this for last because of how blown away I am by this unit. 99% of you have never heard of this unit or the company. You are truly missing out.

I've played with and owned a number of double din "all-in-one" head units ranging from Kenwoods, to Pioneers, to Alpines, and even a Clarion mixed in there. They all pale in comparison.

I'll start with how the unit looks. It's a rather standard layout for a 6.1" double din unit. At the top, you have the CD/DVD drive, and microSD slot that comes prefilled with a 4GB card loaded with North American maps for the included iGO navigation app. To the left, you have the main buttons of "Menu", "Home", and "Back". You can probably guess where this is going.... Also along the left is a decent size volume knob, microphone for hands free, and a little plastic door that opens up to the full size SD card slot, USB slot, and 3.5mm audio/video jack.

In the box was a plethora of connetions. Your typical stuff like car hookups, speaker connections, front/rear/sub out, rear audio/video in/out, GPS dongle, and also an Apple cable for connecting to your iCrap. Also, connection for steering wheel controls... but more on that later. There are also USB connections for BOTH a WiFi dongle and 3G dongle. A 150Mbps USB Wireless N dongle is included. Capping off the package is a remote, guide, and stylus (which isn't necessary to operate the unit).

This head unit runs on TRUE Android. It is only 2.2, so some of the number snobs might scoff, but the unit itself runs buttery smooth.... similar to my Nexus 7 tablet. I threw everything at it that I could. Live Wallpaper, playing music, using the OFFLINE navigation app, connecting to bluetooth. Nothing so much as stuttered the unit. The interface is VERY fast and smooth. I may take a video of it at some point, just to show everyone. The launcher is AOSP android with a slight modification. Along the bottom on the home screens, there is a dock of sorts that contains the functions pertinent to being a head unit (Music, iPod, Radio, Aux In, Bluetooth, Equalizer, Video Out, Navigation, etc). You can still customize the home screens (5) with all the widget goodness of android. Oh, and yes, there is the full Android market. And yes, Torque works (but you need the Wifi version of the ELM).

The radio interface is rather old school. Changing the station was quick and reception is great.

Playing music off an SD card or USB stick is also quick and easy. The interface is basic, with the major tag info displayed as well as a decent size album art, if available. Again all functions were fast and fluid.

Once you hook up an Apple device, it recognizes and opens the iPod app. This allows you to view all the Music, Videos, and Photos on your iDevice. While playing music, you have access to all the songs, as well as playlists and any sorting options you would want (artist, album, genre, etc). Reading, displaying, and navigating was quick and responsive. Even scrolling through the lists was fluid.

The equalizer is pretty basic. You have your High/Low/Mid frequency adjustments. Note, this is for the speaker out only. Subwoofers have their own control page. So you can adjust the frequency gain, as well as high/mid/low filters. On the second tab, there was sound stage position adjustment, and subwoofer level. In the settings menu of Android, there is a filter for the subwoofer as well. Not sure why it wasn't on this page.

There is a customizable steering wheel control interface. You can program any button on your steering wheel to whatever function you want, not just what the car manufacturer designed it to be. This doesn't apply to us as the 86 doesn't have steering wheel controls (one of my few gripes with the car, actually), but in other cars, this is pretty damn cool.

I haven't had the chance to test out the dual zone video features, or auxiliary input features, or the video playback features. I grounded the brake line so Watching videos should be enabled. I know I am able to input an address in the gps while driving. Speaking of...

The navigation, is one of the best systems I've used. The amount of options on it are ridiculous. I took a couple screen shots, but they don't come near the amount of customization you can do. I'd need to do an entire video just to cover it all. You have options for 2d/3d, elevation 3d (hills and valleys are reflected in the 3d), 3d buildings, points of interest actually show up on the map without having to search for them, you can customize your car icon to any one of the 107 included 3d models (most are actual cars, sadly no BRZ was included). They also include fun things, like mario in a mario kart and tanks, motorcycles, a chick on a vespa, etc. Google search is one of the options for inputting a destination. I have my phone tethered to the unit so it has internet wherever my phone does. This is only like 25% of the navigation has to offer. The actual movement on the screen while driving was very smooth, not stuttery like a lot of GPS systems. Oh yea, traffic works great too and you have the option to display alternate routes while driving along the one you're currently on.

Of course if any of the included apps don't fit your fancy, you are more than able to download an app that does, off the Android market.

I'm sure I've missed quite a bit, but I think this unit and android as a whole has a real chance to take off here. The user experience is the best I've seen (even from really high end units). If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'll try and post up pictures or videos to help explain anything.

Lastly, the LED's light up either blue or red. The red matches our interiors pretty well.

I'm not sure what the board policy is on member group buys. On some forums, members are allowed to run 1 or 2 group buys. Not sure if that's the case here. If a Mod sees this, PM me and let me know

Last edited by 2forme; 09-18-2012 at 03:53 PM.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2forme For This Useful Post:
Squishy86 (09-17-2012), stevo_12v (01-23-2013)
Old 09-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
fadinglionhart

Drives: tsx
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Video review please!
fadinglionhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
travace

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
i am interested. depends on the price of course but very interested in this unit.
travace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadinglionhart View Post
Video review please!
Do you really want to see a video of me blabbing away about how awesome this unit is? lol
Old 09-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I'd be interested if it used all the available width.
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dsgerbc For This Useful Post:
ravenblackfrs (11-21-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
Norkoastal
Never on Time Always Late

Drives: #silenced crickets
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I luv me some droid, but wont invest in something that cant be upgraded to new ROMs down the line... I'm puzzled as to why these late 2012 models are using old a## android releases on low res capacitive screens. A community forum like XDA could really make these new decks pop with jailbrakes, new features and other goodies.
Norkoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Norkoastal For This Useful Post:
frsguy707 (01-19-2013)
Old 09-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norkoastal View Post
I luv me some droid, but wont invest in something that cant be upgraded to new ROMs down the line... I'm puzzled as to why these late 2012 models are using old a## android releases on low res capacitive screens. A community forum like XDA could really make these new decks pop with jailbrakes, new features and other goodies.
I love me some jelly bean as much as the next guy, but is it really necessary for the application? The unit runs as smooth as my Nexus 7. Do you really need a 720p screen for while you're driving down the road? I don't.

What functions of ICS or Jelly Bean would you use over Froyo in a car?
Old 09-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
fadinglionhart

Drives: tsx
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
Do you really want to see a video of me blabbing away about how awesome this unit is? lol
Maybe to show the navigation map refresh rate or to see how much lag there is for touch input. Sometimes it's better to see than to hear "it's not that much lag". This way, everyone can judge for themselves how much lag is acceptable.

Also, Jelly bean's voice commands/voice search is pretty amazing
fadinglionhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
I love me some jelly bean as much as the next guy, but is it really necessary for the application? The unit runs as smooth as my Nexus 7. Do you really need a 720p screen for while you're driving down the road? I don't.

What functions of ICS or Jelly Bean would you use over Froyo in a car?

You can't run the new versions of google apps on 2.2. New version of google navigation with, offline maps. Voice recognition and voice search features are vastly improve on 4.0.4+ There are a whole bunch of things that won't run, and going forward you will have less app support for it.
Dezoris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dezoris For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (10-09-2012), danthedirt (09-13-2012), wrb (10-05-2013)
Old 09-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
Norkoastal
Never on Time Always Late

Drives: #silenced crickets
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
You can't run the new versions of google apps on 2.2. New version of google navigation with, offline maps. Voice recognition and voice search features are vastly improve on 4.0.4+ There are a whole bunch of things that won't run, and going forward you will have less app support for it.
Great post.. All 2012 droid hardware should be atleast 1 release behind with the ability to be rooted and ROM'd with tablet enhanced code. I'm sure a branch of developers would get kicks over new hardware to control.
Norkoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #11
TRD_86

Drives: 2013 86 white
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Can this unit able to keep up with new android software which constanly updated every year like an android phone? I'm a little concern if the HU system can't be updated w/ future android softwares. Let say in 5 yrs.

Last edited by TRD_86; 09-14-2012 at 12:24 PM.
TRD_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #12
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,519 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I would be interested if the interface, in style, response, and intuitiveness, is indistinguishable from my phone. If the screen response is slow, or the unit can't be rooted and updated to new versions of android, or if I'm required to use their software for functions such as nav, then it's yet another half-assed HU and I have 0 interest in it.

An android HU should be an extension of my phone. I sit in the car and the phone should sync with the HU, and I should be able to access the same apps and data that I have on my phone. That means google maps, pandora, ulysse speedometer, etc. Even if the HU is it's own device and not a peripheral, I should be able to do everything I can with my phone.

Essentially, if I'd be better off mounting a tablet, then it's half-assed and I have zero interest.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Draco-REX For This Useful Post:
speedracer38 (10-15-2012), whataboutbob (10-21-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #13
2forme

Garage
I'm working on videos for everyone. Stay tuned...
Old 09-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #14
mashal
DADA

Drives: 2013
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
You wrote a book but forgot a price ?
People won't be interested unless there is a listed price to compare to other products

I-Tapatalk
mashal is offline   Reply With Quote