follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-10-2012, 12:48 AM   #1
Tylub

Drives: Raven Black FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Perrin Headerback installed

Got my Perrin Catback non resonated, Front pipe with cat, and overpipe on Friday. Got it installed on Saturday.

Review of it for clocking in 160 mi. as of 12/9

After the install and startup, the sound was just amazing. It was a thunderous boom i was expecting. The first drive around the block scared me a little to be honest as I was not accustomed to the sound yet. After it had warmed up fully, the idle is almost OEM quiet. It is slightly louder but not that much more. The tone, however, was nice and low.

After it warmed up, I decided to hit the freeway to see how it sounded. At first, it was unbearably loud as my cabin filled with the sound of the exhaust not (not in a good way) but once I hit 2500 and then 3000 area, It sounded really good. There was an audible exhaust note change around 4500-5000 as it became a tinny raspy sound. Afterwards, I climbed up to 7000 and from 5000-7000 the little boxer screamed in the most enjoyable way I can describe. Side note, the exhaust gets quieter as you go higher into the RPM band.

After the little freeway run, I attempted to cruise on the freeway. in 6th gear, the car was pretty loud but every time I tried to pass someone going into 5th, The cabin filled with drone (I don't know why).

The next day, I took it out and racked some more miles onto the exhaust in hopes of breaking it in. The second day, it wasn't as loud as I remembered, but it was still pretty loud. Once I hit around 110mi, the exhaust noise toned down. Freeway cruising on the ride home was enjoyable. 6th gear in so quiet that I forget I had an exhaust. The 5th gear drone went away as well, but instead of drone, it is just the exhaust note that I hear now (no more headaches... thank goodness).

Driving around the city streets, I found that between 1500-3000 the car is it's loudest. I really need to throttle my foot in order for it to maintain a reasonable sound. A little too much and it's a head-aching loud. My girlfriend agrees that 1500-3000 is too loud. However, from the rest of the RPM range, the car sounds amazing.

Another thing I noticed today is that the raspy sound around 4500-5000 RPM has reduced significantly. Hopefully it will be gone by the time I break in the exhaust.

Pros-

1. I feel more power now. Not just because it's louder, but because when I barely tap the pedal, the car jumps and wants to MOVE. also, pulling away after a turn the car slips without even trying. Definately a low end bump for sure.

2. The sounds is getting better the more I drive it. Hopefully after 1000 miles, the exhaust will be amazing and the sound will tone down even more. Free revving the car sounds simply amazing. The low boxer rumble is apparent, but not the offbeat UEL sort of way. I like the way it sounds, very unique.

3. The looks are simply amazing. The tips compliment the end very nicely.

4. Strangers are giving me thumbs-ups when I come drive by them so apparently they think it sounds good too?

cons-
1. My tips/muffler bit keeps on sliding around to the left, it's not that big of a deal because i just re-position it back to the center

2. sometimes it becomes unbearably loud, but of course it is a headerback and it is still breaking in so only time will tell.

3. the tinny raspy sound when I WOT. but like I said, hopefully once it is broken into it will be gone.

Will post pics and videos later.

*update 1/10/13 the "tiny/raspy" sound that i had was due to the pipes not tightened enough so it would vibrate against each other and stop when warmed (pipes expanded) i have fixed that.

cabin noise is realy nice as i can listen to music now and not just hear exhaust. Really nice for a headerback.

this really is a perfect system set up for me. couldn't be happier

**update 2/21/13
after installing the proper bolts and adjusting everything and driving... lots of driving... this exhaust system is perfect. Everyone has given me thumbs up or some form of appreciation and no one has even said it was too loud. On the freeway there is absolutely no drone at all and when I WOT, I am awakened by a beastly roar. Ironically, i can set off car alarms in parking structures without even WOTing lol
well worth the money and I'm expecting more gains once I tune. But until then, sound is very satisfying.

instagram @Tylub
Mods: Tomei UELs, Tomei OP, Perrin Catted FP, ARK DT-S, Perrin LW Crank Pulley, Enkei RPF1, RSR Sporti, Supertek Intake Tube, Perrin CAI, Stoptech SS lines/brakes/slotted rotors, Cusco MCB brace/Strut Bar

Last edited by Tylub; 02-21-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Tylub is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tylub For This Useful Post:
MarkRacerX (12-10-2012), ngabdala (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 12:48 AM   #2
Tylub

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2HuxhtLYn4"]FR-S dyno day - YouTube[/ame]

A quick video of WOT and downshifts

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c8Oj-k6zxg"]Perrin Headerback pulls and downshift - YouTube[/ame]

crappy ass WOT from friend's nokia (lol)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIrzYMmOWVg"]Perrin Headerback WOT - YouTube[/ame]

drive-by with high RPM downshift

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY5eYB6fz9w"]Perrin Headerback drive-by - YouTube[/ame]

instagram @Tylub
Mods: Tomei UELs, Tomei OP, Perrin Catted FP, ARK DT-S, Perrin LW Crank Pulley, Enkei RPF1, RSR Sporti, Supertek Intake Tube, Perrin CAI, Stoptech SS lines/brakes/slotted rotors, Cusco MCB brace/Strut Bar

Last edited by Tylub; 02-25-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:49 AM   #3
Tylub

Cold start video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku0UFluRvgo"]Perrin Headerback Cold Start - YouTube[/ame]

Cold start and Warm start with free revving

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLWJtagdTu4"]Perrin Cold and Warm Start Revs - YouTube[/ame]

instagram @Tylub

Last edited by Tylub; 02-21-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:50 AM   #4
Chen
Regional Moderator

Drives: 13' ZN6 / 00' AP1 / 20' A90/ 15 EVO
Thanked 1,275 Times in 854 Posts
Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Best Exhaust IMO.
Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:07 AM   #5
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Wrong forum...
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:08 AM   #6
Tylub

OMG wrong section fail... my other tab was in the exhaust forum...

instagram @Tylub

Last edited by Tylub; 02-21-2013 at 04:44 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
Tylub

here's an update I guess, cold starts are INSANE! i love it lol
@gmookher Are we running the same set up?

instagram @Tylub
Old 12-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
karne

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Ohhh. Please put down a video I've been waiting for a video of that same setup for a while now
karne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
Sac-BRZ

Drives: BRZ Limited AT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
This exhaust is #1 on my list. Still up in the air about resonated or non-resonated..
Sac-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
get perrin's drop in or cai + their tune next...

If this is your 1st install have a pro check up on you

I run unresonated, headerback with overpipe catted and find no issues

Last edited by gmookher; 12-10-2012 at 12:04 PM.
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmookher For This Useful Post:
Tylub (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #11
Sony

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ MT Limited
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylub View Post
cons-
1. My tips/muffler bit keeps on sliding around to the left, it's not that big of a deal because i just re-position it back to the center

2. sometimes it becomes unbearably loud, but of course it is a headerback and it is still breaking in so only time will tell.

3. the tinny raspy sound when I WOT. but like I said, hopefully once it is broken into it will be gone.

Will post pics and videos later.
1. Did you install the locking rings on the hangers? It shouldn't slide around like that if you installed the locking rings properly. Once you center the exhaust push the locking rings onto the exhaust hangers and push them all the way up against your rubber hangers then tighten them. The exhaust shouldn't move at all...mine doesn't.

2. It will get quieter over time with carbon buildup in the pipes but don't expect miracles without a resonator.

3. I had the unresonated pipe on for a good 500+ miles and the raspy qualities didn't go away. (Sorry to bust your bubble) The resonator is what gets rid of the raspy tone in the exhaust note and one of the main reasons I put the resonator back on my car.
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
Tylub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony View Post
Did you install the locking rings on the hangers? It shouldn't slide around like that if you installed the locking rings properly. Once you center the exhaust push the locking rings onto the exhaust hangers and push them all the way up against your rubber hangers then tighten them. The exhaust shouldn't move at all...mine doesn't.
I might have to go back and check the locking rings, because i can literally move my tips around with my foot, thanks!

instagram @Tylub
Old 12-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #13
Tylub

Quote:
Originally Posted by karne View Post
Ohhh. Please put down a video I've been waiting for a video of that same setup for a while now
I will, just as soon as I get some time

instagram @Tylub
Old 12-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
shu5892001
Ontario's FT86

Drives: 2016 Lexus GS-F
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
damn if yours was that loud... i just ordered perrin header back un-resonated and catless
shu5892001 is offline   Reply With Quote