follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2018, 10:03 PM   #1
Jesse36m3

Drives: JDL Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Boost taper at high rpms

Is this normal to see running simply off of a wastegate spring? It happens no matter what spring I use. 6psi spring tapers to 3.5psi, 9psi spring tapers to 6. Not sure what the problem is. I just installed a delicious tuning EBC and fired off a log to my tuner in effort to remedy this because to be honest, my bone stock Focus ST feels faster.

Typically I'd point my finger at a boost leak, however, I ran a boost leak tester and my entire charge/intake side is 100% sealed. Exhaust too. Used all new gaskets literally everywhere, even under the intake manifold. Possibly a faulty wastegate?

Kit consists of:
JDL V2 "no-cut" routing
GTX2860R Gen II
UEL manifold
Recirculated Precision WG
Turbosmart BOV
3" downpipe to a JDL "ultra quiet" front pipe w/ cat & resonator. (maybe too restrictive??)

There is only one other thread on this entire forum with similar problems and his solution was to reference boost pressure on the coupler directly after the compressor housing, rather than using the pre-tapped fitting. I'm just wondering why this is a problem for us, but not the many other hundreds, if not thousands of people running this kit. Everything is 100% tight, has been quadruple checked, and even looked over by a good friend of mine who is a fantastic tech.

Essentially I just want to make sure I'm not covering up some underlying problem with the EBC in efforts to solve this mystery. Any other last things I should check / verify before I start messing with the EBC?
Jesse36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:20 AM   #2
mrloko

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
bump for truth!

I'm looking to get this kit as well and wanna know if this is a common issue!
mrloko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:26 AM   #3
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Small turbo problems.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:46 AM   #4
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
that's a weird problem... i have the same kit, same setup, except i have a dual resonated over front pipe. so I don't have any cats... i wonder if your exhaust is too restrictive? purely guessing/speculating here... my boost doesn't taper with that turbo. I have an EBC too and it holds to it's target boost. the only thing i notice it does fluctuate from 10-11 sometimes when it's target is set at 10.. but i suppose 1 psi won't hurt..

but you have an interesting case.. i wish i had more info to share to help.. but unfortunately i dont.
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:30 PM   #5
envyme

Drives: Toyota 86 2017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse36m3 View Post
Is this normal to see running simply off of a wastegate spring? It happens no matter what spring I use. 6psi spring tapers to 3.5psi, 9psi spring tapers to 6. Not sure what the problem is. I just installed a delicious tuning EBC and fired off a log to my tuner in effort to remedy this because to be honest, my bone stock Focus ST feels faster.

Typically I'd point my finger at a boost leak, however, I ran a boost leak tester and my entire charge/intake side is 100% sealed. Exhaust too. Used all new gaskets literally everywhere, even under the intake manifold. Possibly a faulty wastegate?

Kit consists of:
JDL V2 "no-cut" routing
GTX2860R Gen II
UEL manifold
Recirculated Precision WG
Turbosmart BOV
3" downpipe to a JDL "ultra quiet" front pipe w/ cat & resonator. (maybe too restrictive??)

There is only one other thread on this entire forum with similar problems and his solution was to reference boost pressure on the coupler directly after the compressor housing, rather than using the pre-tapped fitting. I'm just wondering why this is a problem for us, but not the many other hundreds, if not thousands of people running this kit. Everything is 100% tight, has been quadruple checked, and even looked over by a good friend of mine who is a fantastic tech.

Essentially I just want to make sure I'm not covering up some underlying problem with the EBC in efforts to solve this mystery. Any other last things I should check / verify before I start messing with the EBC?
I have the same kit as yours and I experienced this as well. Have you found the solution? Do you have ig or fb so we can talk about it?
envyme is offline   Reply With Quote