follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #29
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
It rained today so I can say the Aquapel does work - only issue is I'm getting windshield wiper chatter - feels like the wiper blade (brand new Michelin) is no longer contacting right...
Are you talking about the cheapo Michelins you find in CT or Costco? I find they skip in winter, period. I used to have them in my dad's Corolla and they skipped once it dropped below 5 deg C. Currently I am using the PIAA on drivers side.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #30
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
Are you talking about the cheapo Michelins you find in CT or Costco? I find they skip in winter, period. I used to have them in my dad's Corolla and they skipped once it dropped below 5 deg C. Currently I am using the PIAA on drivers side.
Bingo.
Damn... I thought they'd be pretty decent...
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #31
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Quote:
Bingo.
Damn... I thought they'd be pretty decent...
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #32
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyRocket View Post
Rain-X is great though. I've heard good things about PPG AquaPel, but I tried it and didn't like the results.
what didn't you like about it?

i've used rain-x for the longest time, though i never cared for the 'sloppiness' of how the raindrops streak with rain-x. during that time, i also used a product called phaze glaze, which did a better job and didn't streak as much, but also didn't last as long..

last year i tried aquapel after i tossed it on a massive autogeek order, figuring it couldn't be any worse.. i applied it to the car and then a week later took a 10 hour road trip, 4 hours of which was spent in heavy rain. after heavy wiper use for that long, the coating started to not work as well, but still seemed to be better than rain-x.. it only took a little glass cleaner for the glass to start repelling water again, and at that point, i still felt it performed better than rain-x did..

i sold the car 6 months later, and was still happy with how aquapel performed..
Old 12-02-2013, 12:06 AM   #33
JonnyRocket
"New hotness"

Drives: WRB Limited MT BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
what didn't you like about it?

i sold the car 6 months later, and was still happy with how aquapel performed..
I couldn't get the AquaPel to go on smoothly and not streak. Ive never had any problems getting a streak-free/haze-free Rain-X application.

Replaced with a 2013 Mazdaspeed3!
JonnyRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #34
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
While we're talking about windshield wipers, is it just me or do the twins only have 3 settings? There's low, medium, and high, which you have to move the stalk for. Then there's the little thing you twist on the stalk to adjust a little more granularly, but it does literally nothing on my car. In my 240sx and my Camaro, the little twisty thing obviously adjusted the wiper speed.
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #35
shirker

Drives: '13 Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog View Post
While we're talking about windshield wipers, is it just me or do the twins only have 3 settings? There's low, medium, and high, which you have to move the stalk for. Then there's the little thing you twist on the stalk to adjust a little more granularly, but it does literally nothing on my car. In my 240sx and my Camaro, the little twisty thing obviously adjusted the wiper speed.
Not just you - short of pulling out a stopwatch and timing the intervals myself, I can't readily tell much of a difference between the two extremes of the fine-tuning knob
shirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #36
Vides990

Drives: 13 BRZ (sold) 20 BRZ TS (sold)
Surprised people are having issues with wiper speeds, I feel like between the main wiper settings and then the fine tunning knob this car has a wiper speed for any level of mist, drizzle, rain, or typhoon.
Vides990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #37
kakarot1657

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ (Galaxy Blue)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirker View Post
Not just you - short of pulling out a stopwatch and timing the intervals myself, I can't readily tell much of a difference between the two extremes of the fine-tuning knob
That's for the intermittent wiper setting the first setting pulling down on the stalk.That nob on the stalk just sets the laps of time between swipes.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #38
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyRocket View Post
I couldn't get the AquaPel to go on smoothly and not streak. Ive never had any problems getting a streak-free/haze-free Rain-X application.
You're not doing it right then - I've applied it now 5 times over 3 cars and never had hazing issues. In fact, it's on the manual where it says you have to keep up the waxing motions till the haze disappears. It does require a LOT of elbow grease but it does work.

By the way, does anyone know who makes the wipers for the FRS/BRZ?

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #39
shirker

Drives: '13 Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakarot1657 View Post
That's for the intermittent wiper setting the first setting pulling down on the stalk.That nob on the stalk just sets the laps of time between swipes.
That's how I use it. I don't think the change is imperceptible, just too subtle and insignificant across the full range
shirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #40
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
That's how I use it. I don't think the change is imperceptible, just too subtle and insignificant across the full range
Same. And I honestly can't tell the difference. I don't even bother touching it anymore, as it's kind of useless.
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #41
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Wat?

From min to full interval time I notice a world of difference...
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #42
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,519 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
I am surprised everyone is recommending Rain-X and not Aquapel: http://aquapel.com/

I find aquapel incredibly better than Rain-X. It lasts longer (I apply once a year), doesn't force you to use their windshield fluid and at highway speeds or anything about 60km/hr, water just shoots off the windshield.

I usually apply once in the spring. It also works in the winter.
The thing is, I can find Rain-X everywhere. I've only ever seen Aquapel once. It was a trial run Advance tried and it didn't sell. Rain-X meets my expectations, it's cheap, and easy to find, so I have no inclination to go find Aquapel.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote