follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-22-2019, 10:21 AM   #15
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Any credibility for a review goes out the window when someone reports a stock car feeling gains with a catback swap. If you have the stock header/cat and tune, you won't gain anything.
Timmy_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:29 AM   #16
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I wouldn't write off completely, if it's clearly marked as subjective. There might be both subjective performance gains and fuel economy drop. - simply because if exhaust sounds better, one can subconsciously rev higher on average, keep in lower gears longer and so on, just to enjoy more
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:48 AM   #17
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Bringing this thread back up because OPs description of the carbon tips also applies to the titanium tips. I can verify 100% that his description is accurate.

Installation was pretty straight forward, it came with all necessary gaskets so you don't need to purchase additional ones. I recommend assembling the midpipe section that's closer to the mufflers first. the only thing that becomes a little tricky is the same section, between the midpipe and muffler, one of the bolts is very close to the underbody so a 3/8 ratchet goes a long way, that's how tight it gets.

Cold Starts are very quiet, keep in mind that I'm running CATTED headers and a Double Resonated Front Pipe, I feel like the INVIDIA Q300 was a little louder on cold starts.

1K-4K RPM Driving is very throaty in this exhaust, is not loud, just deep, a way to describe it is driving with a big bass boom box, so it shares some similarities with the Q300 which I think was a bit louder than the HKS.

5-7K RPM Driving Gets a bit louder but just like the RPMs above, you can control this, and once you get to a desired speed, you can cruise without much noise.

Drone This is a very interesting part, it drones, yes, the bass boom box gets very real the more you put your foot down, but once you find a sweet spot while cruising it is absolutely quiet, there are some exhaust tones, but the drone is controllable at city / highway cruising. It will drone and absolutely wake you up once you decide to make it sing, and is a beautiful exhaust note. Is throaty, deep, but with a lot of bass.

Performance gains There's absolutely no way to tell if there's a measurable power increase, but I share OPs sentiment, the car does get up quicker. It develops lower speeds quicker and in a way, more fluidly. It feels like the car was almost lighter all of the sudden. I think the air flow in this exhaust is maybe better than the Q300, maybe, I'm not an expert.

Recommend? Absolutely, not only it is a very sexy looking exhaust, it is not a fart car, not a rice can, is not obnoxious like an N1, it has a very impressive exhaust note. You can make it quiet while driving in the city, highway, but you can also make it sing in a heartbeat the second you start putting your foot down. It is pricey, $800 range, I can't tell if you'll get 20HP, because you definitely will not, catbacks are mostly sound with very little power gains, it could maybe improve the back-pressure and help the vehicle develop lower speeds more easily. But don't expect shaving 1 second of your drag time.
Tomm (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 08:04 AM   #18
spcmafia

Sound note https://www.instagram.com/p/CN55NmoH...d=7kobjsvnh6p4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
weederr33 (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 08:09 AM   #19
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,569 Times in 2,921 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
Sound note https://www.instagram.com/p/CN55NmoH...d=7kobjsvnh6p4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds really good man

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 08:12 AM   #20
Tomm
Identifying as a Member

Drives: 2013 FRS LS1
Quote:
Drone This is a very interesting part, it drones, yes, the bass boom box gets very real the more you put your foot down, but once you find a sweet spot while cruising it is absolutely quiet, there are some exhaust tones, but the drone is controllable at city / highway cruising. It will drone and absolutely wake you up once you decide to make it sing, and is a beautiful exhaust note. Is throaty, deep, but with a lot of bass.
Try using the JDM exhaust hangers, its been confirmed to help reduce drone on such exhaust systems: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143514
ACT Clutches - APEXi - Buddy Club - Carbing - DBA - Diode Dynamics - Fidanza - HKS - ICT Performance - Project Kics - RPM Transmissions - SEIBON - Sikky Manufacturing - SPC - Tick Performance - TK Style - VERUS - VOLK - Whiteline
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tomm For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 09:09 AM   #21
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
Try using the JDM exhaust hangers, its been confirmed to help reduce drone on such exhaust systems: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143514

Just ordered all 5 lol. Thanks! This was very useful info.
Tomm (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 10:58 AM   #22
Tomm
Identifying as a Member

Drives: 2013 FRS LS1
Quote:
Just ordered all 5 lol. Thanks! This was very useful info.
Definitely! Give us another review once you have them in.
ACT Clutches - APEXi - Buddy Club - Carbing - DBA - Diode Dynamics - Fidanza - HKS - ICT Performance - Project Kics - RPM Transmissions - SEIBON - Sikky Manufacturing - SPC - Tick Performance - TK Style - VERUS - VOLK - Whiteline
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tomm For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (04-21-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 12:02 PM   #23
spcmafia

One week with this exhaust, still waiting on JDM hangers. I absolutely love this exhaust. Aside from the drone and bass effect, is just such a nice sounding, throaty exhaust. I would definitely appreciate more if it wasn't for the increased cabin vibration. It gets better if you're driving with the windows down. I believe it would be a lot more aggressive if it wasn't because of the catted headers and Dual Res FP. But so far is the best exhaust I've heard in a twin. Far from a rice can.
weederr33 (04-26-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 11:11 PM   #24
Breezio

Drives: 2017 BRZ series.yellow
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I suppose I'll weigh in. I've had my HKS Hi-Power Spec-L for about a year now.
It's in conjunction with a catless UEL header, the rest of the piping is OEM.
Also running an OFT off the shelf tune.

Installation was super easy and quick. Took maybe 30 minutes with the help of a friend.

Cold Start is pretty quiet, but I think some of that is that OFT runs run a much lower RPM cold start.

Regular driving, it's pretty quiet. Don't hear it much in cabin with the windows up.

High RPM's, has a great sound and decent growl, still not very loud.

Drone? I get zero, and I mean zero, drone. Cruising on the highway is quiet and pleasant.

See video below for how it sounds full tilt while autocrossing. External mic mounted at the rear license plate frame.

Breezio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Breezio For This Useful Post:
RToyo86 (04-28-2021), weederr33 (04-28-2021)

Tags
catback, exhaust, hks exhaust, hks spec l, hks spec l brz exhaust