follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 07-28-2019, 09:33 PM   #1
Glitchy86

Drives: Red 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Durable Wheels !

As much as I hate starting new topic, I couldn't find a clear answer for what I'm looking for.

I was about to get the Enkei RPF1 until I saw a lot of ppl online complaining about the durability of the wheels mostly the barrel getting bent easily.

I daily drive my 86 and will be taking it to the drift track later on this year. I wanna get the most durable wheels without breaking the bank.

I'm looking into Gram lights 57CR or Weds TC105N, but the TC105N are about 400$ more expensive.
My question is are the TC105N 400$ more durable than the 57CR or it's not that big of a difference in durability?

Sorry for the long ass post.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Glitchy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Glitchy86 For This Useful Post:
sato (10-05-2022)
Old 07-28-2019, 09:51 PM   #2
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
I only see a ~$200 price difference, but hey. Both are, by all accounts, really good wheels. I believe the 57CR are heavier, which may be a good thing for your goal. Either are excellent.

The other thing to remember is that, when you get into racing, wheels become a wear item. You hit curbs, rumble strips, etc. and over time they wear out. Sometimes less time. Bending a wheel means it's not garbage; the cheap stuff cracks or shatters. Another wheel to consider on a bit more of a budget is the 949 6ul. A bit heavier build than the RPF1. You'll still bend it on a hard curb hit (honestly, you're likely to bend any wheel if it's hard enough).

I run TC105n (note, the TC105x is the new version of this... anything 'n' is old stock, if it's actually even in stock...) and 6ul. Prefer the look of the Weds, but from inside the car I can't see that...
Glitchy86 (07-29-2019), Spuds (07-29-2019), timurrrr (07-29-2019), Tristor (07-30-2019), why? (07-29-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 10:12 PM   #3
Glitchy86

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
I only see a ~$200 price difference, but hey. Both are, by all accounts, really good wheels. I believe the 57CR are heavier, which may be a good thing for your goal. Either are excellent.

The other thing to remember is that, when you get into racing, wheels become a wear item. You hit curbs, rumble strips, etc. and over time they wear out. Sometimes less time. Bending a wheel means it's not garbage; the cheap stuff cracks or shatters. Another wheel to consider on a bit more of a budget is the 949 6ul. A bit heavier build than the RPF1. You'll still bend it on a hard curb hit (honestly, you're likely to bend any wheel if it's hard enough).

I run TC105n (note, the TC105x is the new version of this... anything 'n' is old stock, if it's actually even in stock...) and 6ul. Prefer the look of the Weds, but from inside the car I can't see that...
I'm not thinking about racing coz we don't have racing tracks where I live which sucks. I'm just afraid to fuck my wheels in a potholes the most. Coz we have some shitty potholes where I live.

I got a deal on the 57CR in ceramic white for 1400$ in the other hand the Weds cost about 1780$. I'm trying to get the price for the Weds to match the 57CR.

I live in Saudi Arabia and the shipping will cost me so much money that's why I wanna be sure whichever wheel I get will be durable coz I can't afford to ship a fucked up wheel that is under warranty back to the US to get it replaced.

Never thought picking a wheel will be so damn hard lol.

The Following User Says Thank You to Glitchy86 For This Useful Post:
cjd (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 02:56 AM   #4
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,339 Times in 4,125 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitchy86 View Post
I was about to get the Enkei RPF1 until I saw a lot of ppl online complaining about the durability of the wheels mostly the barrel getting bent easily.
This is the first time I have read about this issue. I am curious as to where you saw these complaints.

A few things come to mind.
1/ I was under the impression that RPF1s were very good value for their weight and strength.
2/ Any wheel will deform/break given sufficient impact.
3/ I went searching for stories about these wheels' poor performance and admittedly I did not spend much time looking but the only stories I found was about cracking/bending after they had had a heavy impact with a kerb or pothole.

Would @CSG Mike share his opinion?

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Glitchy86 (07-29-2019), wparsons (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 03:15 AM   #5
Glitchy86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
This is the first time I have read about this issue. I am curious as to where you saw these complaints.

A few things come to mind.
1/ I was under the impression that RPF1s were very good value for their weight and strength.
2/ Any wheel will deform/break given sufficient impact.
3/ I went searching for stories about these wheels' poor performance and admittedly I did not spend much time looking but the only stories I found was about cracking/bending after they had had a heavy impact with a kerb or pothole.

Would @CSG Mike share his opinion?
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...rpf1-weak.html

Is post along side the comments is that one made me think about not getting the RPF1.

I just want something that won't get bent/cracked so easily and trying to ask ppl in here coz I know so many ppl have a lot of experience not like myself.

Old 07-29-2019, 03:43 AM   #6
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Glitchy86: then again upon those few posts where they bent wheels, imho there are at very least 10x times more that keep happily using them just fine. And i see nothing to point to rpf1 wheels as being weaker then many others, that for that specific (ab)use won't bend other wheels too.
Also given popularity of rpf1, imho they are in many places easier to source if need for replacement arrives.
Given that they are overall imho of good compromise of strength/weight/cost, i see no reasons to not get them, unless one knows that will do gravel rallying
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 03:47 AM   #7
Glitchy86

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Glitchy86: then again upon those few posts where they bent wheels, imho there are at very least 10x times more that keep happily using them just fine. And i see nothing to point to rpf1 wheels as being weaker then many others, that for that specific (ab)use won't bend other wheels too.
Also given popularity of rpf1, imho they are in many places easier to source if need for replacement arrives.
Given that they are overall imho of good compromise of strength/weight/cost, i see no reasons to not get them, unless one knows that will do gravel rallying
That makes sense.

So out of the three that I listed is any of them are significantly more durable than the other or are they pretty close to each other durability wise.

Thanks again.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:26 AM   #8
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...rpf1-weak.html

Is post along side the comments is that one made me think about not getting the RPF1.
Ummm, is this one thread is the "lot of ppl complaining"?

The second post says "I know a few local Time Attack teams who used to run RPF1's and they would bend quite a few of the wheels after a seasons use due to various berms or track off's."
My bold.
As I said, any wheel will deform/break given sufficient impact.

I'm guessing you've seen the RPF1 thread?
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58908

Old 07-29-2019, 04:30 AM   #9
Glitchy86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
Ummm, is this one thread is the "lot of ppl complaining"?

The second post says "I know a few local Time Attack teams who used to run RPF1's and they would bend quite a few of the wheels after a seasons use due to various berms or track off's."
My bold.
As I said, any wheel will deform/break given sufficient impact.
Yes I'm aware of that. Just wanted to make sure that I'm not burning money in here. Again these are my first set of aftermarket wheels.

I'm a noob and that's why I'm asking the guys like yourself who bought aftermarket wheels many times.

Just want to make sure I'm getting a good set of wheels.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:34 AM   #10
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Yes I'm aware of that. Just wanted to make sure that I'm not burning money in here. Again these are my first set of aftermarket wheels.

I'm a noob and that's why I'm asking the guys like yourself who bought aftermarket wheels many times.

Just want to make sure I'm getting a good set of wheels.

CSG Mike hasn't chimed in as yet but he and his shop (Counter Space Garage) is extremely well regarded on this forum. CSG sells RPF1s and he doesn't sell crap.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:25 AM   #11
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,296 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
RPF1s are a great value for money for AutoX. They would still be a great product even if they completely melted after just one lap at the track.

A friend of a friend recently switched from PP wheels to RPF1s and managed to bend one on a pothole within weeks. Now he hates them 💁*♂️
Some of the folks I've met at AutoX and track say that RPF1s are great, but are also based on outdated tech and modern lightweight wheels are stronger.

To the OP: having said that, if you plan to keep the car for at least a few years, you should think about what you optimize for. It seems like RPF1s are great if one optimizes for weight at the least amount of money that's reasonable. IIRC, the next lighter wheel in the same size would be TC105N, which is basically twice as expensive.
What you should probably optimize for however is lifetime per dollar. You might literally be better off buying rally wheels for an STI. Another possible solution is just to accept the fact that you'll bend a wheel every once in a while, and save on shipping costs by buying them 6 or even 8 per order.
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
Glitchy86 (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 07:29 AM   #12
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Buy forged wheels, they are totally worth it. I had a set of Volk Ce28n on my Yaris that I use to daily. After a decade of use $2000 or so isn't a big deal. I didn't have to worry about anything, they were awesome.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
Glitchy86 (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 08:09 AM   #13
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Not so sure on "worth it". If buying new, i'd strongly disagree. Well, in one way is - if you buy those forged wheels used, at fraction of price. Though choices of specific sizings might be limited.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:02 PM   #14
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Check out Konig's Flowformed wheels
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vital For This Useful Post:
Glitchy86 (07-29-2019)