follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
jmmay

Drives: Hyundai Elantra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
NEW HERE!!!!

Hey guys new to the forum and was looking for some info Ok to start I'm looking for a frs/brz for track duty. I Have driven a auto just because that is all my local dealer has gotten in which such I would love to try out the manual for I really hope it is better other wise I have a long way to go to get the car to were I need it to be for my taste. Im coming off my evo x which I just sold and before that a s2000 I love quick little nimble cars which is why im looking at the Frs. So is there really any difference between the brz and frs other then price? I have not seen any twin clutches are there any I.E. exedy or are there any good dog boxes yet for the car? There are plenty of power options so that should not be a issue and the aero part will probably be custom so no issue there. Sorry for all the questions just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I pull the trigger and I want to make sure the car can deliver what I really want from a track car. Thanks for all the info guys
jmmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
BRZ and Fr-S differences are strictly interior and amenities and front fascia of the car. BRZ has more amenities and options like HiDS, Xenon, push button start, touchscreen radio/NAV, heated seats, etc. The cars essentially drive and handle very similar with the FR-S being slightly easier to slide the back end out.

I would definitely give the manual a shot. It should be quicker if you are a capable driver. The car actually has a good manual in it. That said, these cars are going to be slower in a straight line than an Evo or S2K. But lots of aftermarket support will easily get you more performance.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
kALMIGHTY
Banned

Drives: TRD Ultramarine '13
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
I'm assuming if you want a track duty car, the added creature comforts of the BRZ aren't that important to you. In that case, I'd go for the FR-S. I haven't driven a BRZ but love how easily the back end of my FR-S slips away from me with minimal effort.
They're essentially the same car and if suspension is going to be something you change on the car, then there really is no difference between the two cars. In that case still, go for the FR-S and use the money you save on other mods.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
kALMIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
jmmay

Thanks for the reply man and yea I really want to try a manual and as far as driving I have tracked cars for 15 years and my evo was a full build by ams with 700 awhp all track car. I think this car will be great for the track around 400 rwhp which would be my goal full build. Yea I thought that was right with the brz and frs so thanks for info I wont need any thing special it would be getting stripped right away any way.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
BRZ-OwnzJo0

Drives: 2016 WRX Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I drove an auto FRS when I went to test drive one of these and bought a limited BRZ in manual. I can honestly say I was pleasantly surprised by the difference in feeling between the auto and manual. There is a pretty big difference in driving feel between the two (manual being far better) in my opinion.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:30 PM   #6
degrees

Drives: 6MT BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmay View Post
I think this car will be great for the track around 400 rwhp which would be my goal full build. Yea I thought that was right with the brz and frs so thanks for info I wont need any thing special it would be getting stripped right away any way.
Two things to consider here:

1) It's unknown whether the auto can handle gobs of torque, making the 6MT a much better choice. There are tons of options out there for lightweight flywheels, HD clutches, and driveshafts. With an auto you're stuck.

2) Shop hard enough and you can get a 6MT Premium BRZ less than an FR-S.

Last edited by 37; 07-26-2013 at 02:36 AM. Reason: edit/typo
37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
jmmay

Yea as a track duty car Auto is out anyway but Im looking into a dog box for the car and if I can get one for a reasonable price then Im going that route as for suspension Ive been talking to JRZ for a custom set up since he did my evo and s2k and power adders still not sure but it will be all custom not sure as far as turbo or supercharger for this car would need look at the motor and go from there.