follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #15
STJ

Drives: Skyline R33 GTR
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
There are no real alternatives that are still in production, only discontinued ones. I would rather go for a used S15 than a new BRZ, hard to beat the SR20DET in tuneability!
STJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #16
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
It's funny how non-residents of CA call it "Cali"!

I say keep the Civic! From the outside looking in, I wish I had a little beater that was good on gas. :happy0180:
Old 04-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #17
ZmZMWagon

Drives: MS3
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Mazdaspeed 3 or WRX
ZmZMWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #18
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
have you driven a mustang gt? it will arguably outhandle many on that list so im a little confused. its definately going to be faster around almost every single track in the world than any other mentioned car. i think that car and driver had a v6 mustang go around vir faster than an sti and that was with something like 9 seconds at the electronic speed limiter
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #19
zygrene

Drives: 1991 Formula Red NSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Canuck View Post
OP: I assume you are coming out for post grad school or is it work? If you are moving here proper, to be a resident of California, then I would check the DMV website about the hassle involved in registering an out of state car here.

AFAIK - from talking to fellow relocated coworkers - it is not cheap.

I'd keep your current DD, move out here and then re-evaluate.

Either way an A4 doesn't fullfill this - 2) Balance of handling and power. - unless it has an 'S' in it's title ;-)
Well I'll be getting my undergrad degree from UT Austin this May. I'm moving out to California for work only, possibly just one year, maybe more if I like it, I don't know yet. In that case, would I need to file for residency in CA immediately? And would there by any additional taxes/fees if I bought a car in CA vs TX?

As for the other suggestions:

WRX is an option. I will definitely test drive it.

MS3 is also an option, but I'd rather get a WRX. It's kind of ugly and Subaru has more brand recognition.

350Z is nice, but I heard the trunk is close to useless and it's a two-seater.

Not an American muscle kind of guy, so Mustangs are out of the question. Nothing against them, but just not a fan.

As for keeping the Civic, my parents are afraid that the car's a getting a bit too old for safety. It's never had any major problems in its 15 year life, but hey. Why would I turn down a free car?
zygrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #20
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
to each his own but keep in mind that the wrx isnt a great handling car. if you want brand recognition and style points the wrx is pretty great. otherwise if you want value and handling (and sure, power too) then even the mustang v6 is a better option. miatas are great too
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #21
TylerLieberman

Drives: '20 Hakone 86
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,572 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
WRX. That's what I opted for and am waiting for the call from the dealer to go pick it up. I wouldn't recommend a mazdaspeed3. The torque steer on that car is just ridiculous. Even the n/a 2.5 mazda3 had a bunch.

4dr, 4wd, 2.5l H4 265hp turbo. Lots of aftermarket support. Stout platform. Same price as the BRZ and the list goes on. If you're heart is really set on a BRZ though, I'd just suck it up and find a way to get one when you can.

Getting another car means you settle. When you settle, you get angry. When you get angry, your kids notice. When your kids notice, they go to therapy. When they go to therapy, you look like a douche......Don't look like a douche. Switch to a BRZ today
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #22
zygrene

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
WRX. That's what I opted for and am waiting for the call from the dealer to go pick it up. I wouldn't recommend a mazdaspeed3. The torque steer on that car is just ridiculous. Even the n/a 2.5 mazda3 had a bunch.

4dr, 4wd, 2.5l H4 265hp turbo. Lots of aftermarket support. Stout platform. Same price as the BRZ and the list goes on. If you're heart is really set on a BRZ though, I'd just suck it up and find a way to get one when you can.

Getting another car means you settle. When you settle, you get angry. When you get angry, your kids notice. When your kids notice, they go to therapy. When they go to therapy, you look like a douche......Don't look like a douche. Switch to a BRZ today
You, sir, should be a car salesman. I'd be 100% sold on waiting for the BRZ if it weren't for the minor fact that I don't have kids.

Even if I do test drive the WRX, I don't think it will matter since I won't be able to test drive the BRZ. In which case I don't think I should "settle" for the WRX like you said. I just wish time wasn't an issue...
Old 04-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #23
Want.FR-S

Drives: 4 Wheels Auto
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
This is indeed a good quote!!

OH, to OP, If I were you, I would keep the Civic as long as it is still functional and see if either you can:

1. get the allotted BRZ shipped to California (am I right, RRonald?)
2. get another BRZ in California

By the time you are there, you have plenty of time to get the BRZ and probably forget about the hassles of registering an out-of-state car in California.
Want.FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #24
zygrene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want.FR-S View Post
This is indeed a good quote!!

OH, to OP, If I were you, I would keep the Civic as long as it is still functional and see if either you can:

1. get the allotted BRZ shipped to California (am I right, RRonald?)
2. get another BRZ in California

By the time you are there, you have plenty of time to get the BRZ and probably forget about the hassles of registering an out-of-state car in California.
I have three major concerns:

1) Shipping will be damn expensive?
2) I feel like I need to get used to driving the car before I start driving to work every day. I've never owned a manual car before.
3) I'm planning on trading in my Civic at the dealership, so I wouldn't have a car to drive to CA if I have the BRZ shipped over.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #25
Want.FR-S

Drives: 4 Wheels Auto
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zygrene View Post
I have three major concerns:

1) Shipping will be damn expensive?
2) I feel like I need to get used to driving the car before I start driving to work every day. I've never owned a manual car before.
3) I'm planning on trading in my Civic at the dealership, so I wouldn't have a car to drive to CA if I have the BRZ shipped over.
1. I don't know the price exactly, but this could be somewhere in 500+?
2. Anyone from NorCal can tell you the traffic in the morning. I think you will get to know your car pretty quickly, even in a manual car.
3. In that case, would it be better if you trade in your car in CA and forget about shipping the car all at once?
Want.FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:24 AM   #26
Capt Canuck

Drives: BMW E36 323is
Quote:
Well I'll be getting my undergrad degree from UT Austin this May. I'm moving out to California for work only, possibly just one year, maybe more if I like it, I don't know yet. In that case, would I need to file for residency in CA immediately? And would there by any additional taxes/fees if I bought a car in CA vs TX?
Think it will depend on a few different things, the DMV has their info here:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/newtoca/newtoca.htm

This specifically dealing with car registration/residency:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...r9.htm#feesdue

I think the gainful employment and renting somewhere mean you're going to be paying something. Taken from 2nd link above:

When fees are due

Fees must be paid within 20 days of entry or residency to avoid penalties. Any vehicle owned by a California resident must be registered within 20 days of entry into California unless a special permit was obtained. Nonresidents whose vehicles are properly registered to them in their home state or jurisdiction may operate their vehicles in California until they:
  • Accept gainful employment in California.
  • Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.
  • Rent or lease a residence in California.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #27
TylerLieberman

Drives: '20 Hakone 86
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,572 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
You, sir, should be a car salesman. I'd be 100% sold on waiting for the BRZ if it weren't for the minor fact that I don't have kids.

Even if I do test drive the WRX, I don't think it will matter since I won't be able to test drive the BRZ. In which case I don't think I should "settle" for the WRX like you said. I just wish time wasn't an issue...
Thank you.

Do you have any animals?? It would be a damn shame if you did and because of your anger, they ended up here on this commercial.

But in all seriousness, settling is settling. You might be happy for the time being but then once you start seeing them around more and more, you'll wish you had just stuck it out and got the BRZ. For me, it was a matter of bang for the buck. The WRX is listed for-I think-$100 more than a BRZ. So for $100, I get 4 doors, AWD, Turbo etc. I wasn't so set on whether it was AWD/RWD 2/4door. Just wanted something nice and fun to drive around and gave me value for the amount I spent....that's why I went the WRX route...which will be here tomorrow
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #28
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I'd probably go with a used 370Z. I think the BRZ is a much better deal though.

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote