follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 10-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
Wise
Circle Work Clerk

Drives: 2012 Mt. Fuji Red Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Possible 2015-16 RX-7 Revival

http://motoring.ninemsn.com.au/cars/...-be-born-again

New Rotary Engine. I'm guessing it won't be turboed due to emissions laws.

Nevertheless a new NA RX7 would be an interesting competitor to the 86.
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
JDMenrique
DEEEERP

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Garage
I don't think it would be boosted either, but I don't think it'll be due to emissions
Old 10-30-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Dear baby jesus please make this a turbo!! FR-S for the track RX7 for the streets
bestwheelbase (10-31-2012)
Old 10-31-2012, 01:06 AM   #4
RaceR

Drives: 2010 Cooper S, 74 Beetle
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Turbo is pretty normal these days for efficiency reasons.
Does not have to be super hight output engine just because they might use a turbo..
RaceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceR View Post
Turbo is pretty normal these days for efficiency reasons.
Does not have to be super hight output engine just because they might use a turbo..
For Wankel engines the thing is you can't really do traditional downsizing because you want a bigger rotor/combustion chamber to improve surface area to volume ratio.

If they can pull off the 16x and fix the numerous issues, they should have an *easy* 350hp+ on tap. Remember that a normal piston engine with the (corrected) displacement of the 1.3L Wankels can make 300hp with 9000rpm to play with. The reason the Renesis only makes 3/4 of that is because it sucks balls and wastes the rest of the fuel energy.

At those power levels it doesn't make much sense for Mazda to strap on a turbo when customers are going to be pretty happy with power already.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
Guff (10-31-2012), RaceR (10-31-2012)
Old 10-31-2012, 01:49 AM   #6
RaceR

Drives: 2010 Cooper S, 74 Beetle
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
For Wankel engines the thing is you can't really do traditional downsizing because you want a bigger rotor/combustion chamber to improve surface area to volume ratio.

If they can pull off the 16x and fix the numerous issues, they should have an *easy* 350hp+ on tap. Remember that a normal piston engine with the (corrected) displacement of the 1.3L Wankels can make 300hp with 9000rpm to play with. The reason the Renesis only makes 3/4 of that is because it sucks balls and wastes the rest of the fuel energy.

At those power levels it doesn't make much sense for Mazda to strap on a turbo when customers are going to be pretty happy with power already.
Ah.. Thanks for explaining (and many of your other useful posts)!

Im still worried they will mess up the fuel efficiency part tough. I consider the 86 to have bad efficiency for its power.
High revving NA engines without much torque usually have pretty bad fuel efficiency. Previous wankel engines have been good proof of that.

For me, and several other EU countries high poweroutput with mediocre fuel efficiency is not the way to go. I will not be a happy "customer" if they mess up fuel efficiency, because then it will be very expensive due to extreme taxes..
(To be honest, even if the did make it "reasonable good", it would probably be way to expensive in Norway because of its output)
RaceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:34 AM   #7
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceR View Post
Ah.. Thanks for explaining (and many of your other useful posts)!

Im still worried they will mess up the fuel efficiency part tough. I consider the 86 to have bad efficiency for its power.
High revving NA engines without much torque usually have pretty bad fuel efficiency. Previous wankel engines have been good proof of that.

For me, and several other EU countries high poweroutput with mediocre fuel efficiency is not the way to go. I will not be a happy "customer" if they mess up fuel efficiency, because then it will be very expensive due to extreme taxes..
(To be honest, even if the did make it "reasonable good", it would probably be way to expensive in Norway because of its output)
For certification at least the problem is that Toyota is not willing to cheat like GM and specify weird shift points. If they told you to get out of 1st gear at 10mph, get into 6th gear by 40mph, then the numbers would skyrocket. I'd rather have the car rated higher than what it can reasonably get than have it rated lower, so at least it doesn't get taxed like crazy and stuff.

The issue with the Wankel is that the displacement is so "high", yet the efficiency at lower speeds sucks because too much energy disappears into the coolant. The RX-8 was geared unbelievably short, which is a big part of why the fuel economy sucked, but Wankel engines do lose much more efficiency at low rpm which is why they can't just drop super tall gears in (well, this is my theory, but seeing how the peak BSFC of Wankel engines arrives at like 6000rpm I think it makes sense).

With the 16X they should definitely use some taller gears than the RX-8 did, because there's no way to get good fuel economy with a 2.6L revving like mad, but I think they should look into deactivating one of the rotors if they use a 2 rotor design (shouldn't be hard, just a pipe connecting the intake and exhaust with a valve in it). AFAIK the friction on Wankels is not as high but that might be wrong.

It's also possible that they bring out a single rotor engine with slightly bigger per rotor displacement to improve low end efficiency a little more, though a flagship model probably wouldn't use it. I'm personally hoping for a 0.8L-1L single rotor engine to appear in something, it would be very compact, lightweight, and not guzzle too much fuel, although it wouldn't sound very good lol.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
Guff (10-31-2012), RaceR (10-31-2012)
Old 10-31-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
muffinman

Drives: -
Quote:
For certification at least the problem is that Toyota is not willing to cheat like GM and specify weird shift points. If they told you to get out of 1st gear at 10mph, get into 6th gear by 40mph, then the numbers would skyrocket
no need to bash GM like that. pretty sure toyota wants their cars to hit the highest gear asap when its testing also. lots of people shift before 10mph in 1st gear. if a car has the hp/tq to be in 6th gear at 40 then thats fine too
muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
no need to bash GM like that. pretty sure toyota wants their cars to hit the highest gear asap when its testing also. lots of people shift before 10mph in 1st gear. if a car has the hp/tq to be in 6th gear at 40 then thats fine too
Nope, GM forces a 1-4 shift. Toyota is known for not doing anything fancy and just going by the 15mph, 25mph, etc. shift points. Facts, not bashing. Actually, while I call it cheating, it's a clever way to take advantage of the stupid test system.
The Following User Says Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
SkullWorks (10-31-2012)
Old 10-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
muffinman

Drives: -
Quote:
Nope, GM forces a 1-4 shift. Toyota is known for not doing anything fancy and just going by the 15mph, 25mph, etc. shift points. Facts, not bashing. Actually, while I call it cheating, it's a clever way to take advantage of the stupid test system.
GM uses the "skip shift" from 1st to 4th in the corvette and v8 camaro. notice that they didnt put this in the v6 camaro or their 4 cylinder cars. the new v8 mustang also have a skip shift from 1-4. again, Ford didnt put it in their v6 mustang or any 4 cylinders. all the cars that got the "skip shift" r cars that r powerful enough to easily handle a 1-4 shift, even if u r going up a little hill at that time. toyota doesnt have any stick shift cars that have that much torque
muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:28 PM   #11
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcasso87 View Post
Dear baby jesus please make this a turbo!!
Hear! Hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcasso87 View Post
FR-S for the track RX7 for the streets
Really? I was thinking the other way around.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:59 PM   #12
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Not really news to me,...

anyway Sky-R should be good, iv got some sources at mazda HQ japan that tell me all sorts of things.

Anyway, the new Mazda RX is based off the mx5 platform... so essentially a few tidbits will be seen the same between the mx5, rx-x, and alfa romeo spyder which also is built off the mx5 platform.

This is one of many reasons why Mazda CO decided to halt R&D on the rx-x pending development of the Skyactive MX-5. Along with limited funds from a failing economical tide, especially against its share holder Ford.

Now Mazda is no longer a benefactor of Ford, but Fiat Group.

Fiat and Mazda joint operations are going to be reaaaallllly good, because they have expressed various interest in Rotary Development.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #13
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwheelbase View Post
Hear! Hear!

Really? I was thinking the other way around.
Well if they make it turbo it will have great power from the factory so no screwing around with it. Its probably going to be light weight considering how obsessed mazda is about weight. Its probably going to be a bit more luxurious as well so all these things would make it a perfect DD. The FR-S can be slow around the track, its made to put a smile on your face but the rx7 on the streets would dominate canyon roads .