follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 01-17-2018, 11:46 AM   #15
Jesse36m3

Drives: JDL Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Some great info here guys. I think SCDA is the way to go, for me at least. Prices seem reasonable and this season is filled with events nearby. I also like the 5-day package discount, so I might have to jump on that.

- Anybody have some decently priced helmet recommendations?
- Is a fire extinguisher required?
- How do I determine what class I will be running in; does this correlate to modifications or skill level?

I'd love to coordinate with other members here to see what days you'll be attending. Would be nice to meet some of ya'll.
Jesse36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:15 AM   #16
Azzudien

Drives: 2017 Series Yellow BRZ
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
SCDA is non competitive so no fire extinguisher needed. However not required any safety equipment is a win.

Helmet I would try to find an actual store within driving distance so you can actually try it on and get proper fit. Especially if you wear glasses like me, not many allow room for glasses to fit comfortable. Try motorcycle shops, ATV stores etc in your area

You will be Novice class, unless you have previous track experience. Once you demonstrate to the instructors that you competent on track then you would move to intermediate 1 group. Moving from Novice to Intermediate 1 is multiple different track events. When you register just register as Novice if it is your first time with SCDA.

As many will tell you on this forum, regardless of group if an instructor is available have them go with you.

SCDA Run groups
Novice
Intermediate 1
Intermediate 2
Advanced
Instructor

The multi event discounts are nice, and I use them also.

I don't think there is many forum members here that run with SCDA, none I have met. Though at the final Palmer event last year we had 7 twins at the event. None on these forums except me that I know of.
Azzudien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:35 AM   #17
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Not trying to hijack this thread, but it's sort of related...lol... I've been sticking with the SCCA's Tracknight in America program, primarily because 1) I like the half day format...I always have a list of things to do, so it's much more convenient than having to schedule the entire day for an event 2) their events run beautifully, and 3)because it's only 150 bucks...this one doesn't really need explanation.

Are there any other trackday groups who do a similar 1/2 day program, or maybe giving you the option of morning/afternoon selection or whatever?
Old 01-18-2018, 09:46 AM   #18
Jesse36m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
Not trying to hijack this thread, but it's sort of related...lol... I've been sticking with the SCCA's Tracknight in America program, primarily because 1) I like the half day format...I always have a list of things to do, so it's much more convenient than having to schedule the entire day for an event 2) their events run beautifully, and 3)because it's only 150 bucks...this one doesn't really need explanation.

Are there any other trackday groups who do a similar 1/2 day program, or maybe giving you the option of morning/afternoon selection or whatever?
No problem! I'm trying to learn as much as I can too.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:44 PM   #19
dradernh

Drives: Used to Drive:Grand-Am GS #54 E36M3
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
For a general intro to HPDE:

SCDA - https://www.scdareg.com/calendar/
- This is a good group for an intro to HPDEs. FWIW, a lot of this hobby is social, and you may find one group or another to be more to your liking. I liked SCDA for its social aspect more than I did for its driving aspects. At Lime Rock, for example, it could be CROWDED out there. However, that won't matter in your first few events, when you'll be focused on the basics of driving on the track with a bunch of other cars.

To focus on maximizing your driving abilities:

COMSCC - https://www.comscc.org/events/
- COM is a time-trial oriented group; as a result, they are very much focused on the quality of members' driving. I ran with COM for a number of years when I still had a race car - it's a great group, and I recommend them highly, even for a novice. There at some very fast drivers in this club (notice I didn't say some very fast cars - it's the drivers who are fast, and some of them even have fast cars, too :-), and those drivers are quite happy to share their hard-won knowledge with other club members.

Boston BMWCCA - http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/events/...-calendar.aspx
- The Performance Driving 'Ground School" and Open House on Sat., 3/24 will be held at HMS Motorsport in Danvers, Mass. The Ground School is well-worth attending - if you decide to go, sign up early before it fills up: http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/events/...px?EventID=987 HMS has a full showroom of track-related gear, including helmets from multiple manufacturers that you can try on. HMS tends to supply quality, top-line gear, however, so I don't know that you'll find any bargains. The key thing with a helmet is to find one that properly fits your skull - sometimes that's a challenge.
- The annual Bimmers Across the Border event at Mont Tremblant (one-hour north of Montreal) is always a terrific event, and I recommend it without reserve. More here: http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/events/...px?EventID=982. I go every year, whether I'm driving or not.

NASA NE - http://nasane.com/events_registration/
- This is another great group to run with that has events in your region.

There are other outfits sponsoring driving events in the Northeast. I ran with a number of them and found the four noted above to be the ones I would recommend to someone just starting out. To get a full picture of what's available at a given track, go to the schedule posted by the track itself - you may find that on a date when you can make it to that track, there's an event scheduled by a club that you've not yet heard of.
dradernh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dradernh For This Useful Post:
Jesse36m3 (02-02-2018), jjaisli (02-06-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 02:11 PM   #20
subielife
Subaru Ambassador

Drives: 13 BRZ 18 Silverado
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse36m3 View Post

PM for any help you need. I am the chief instructor for NASA-NE. And I have done events with most of the groups you mentioned and they are all excellent.
subielife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to subielife For This Useful Post:
Jesse36m3 (02-02-2018), Takumi788 (02-02-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 11:09 AM   #21
jmimac351
Chin Chief Instructor

Drives: 2015 Ford F150 Aluminium Couch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse36m3 View Post
Jesse, to that end... pay close attention to how the Instruction works for any particular group. Good in-car instruction is going to help you stay safe and start with the proper foundation. Grabbing some clubs and a bucket of balls and heading to the range is a bad way to learn golf. If you start off the right way, with coaching / instruction, you'll have fun more quickly and it could be a hobby you'll enjoy for years.

Have Fun.
Cobra Replica Build Pics
Chin Chief Instructor www.ChinTrackDays.com

Last edited by jmimac351; 02-03-2018 at 11:32 AM. Reason: spelling
jmimac351 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmimac351 For This Useful Post:
jjaisli (02-06-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 02:41 PM   #22
dradernh

Drives: Used to Drive:Grand-Am GS #54 E36M3
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmimac351 View Post
Jesse, to that end... pay close attention to how the Instruction works for any particular group. Good in-car instruction is going to help you stay safe and start with the proper foundation. Grabbing some clubs and a bucket of balls and heading to the range is a bad way to learn golf. If you start off the right way, with coaching / instruction, you'll have fun more quickly and it could be a hobby you'll enjoy for years.

Have Fun.
^^^ This...all of it.
dradernh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:15 AM   #23
Alan

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Ltd. / E60 M5
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmimac351 View Post

Have Fun.
This is the right advice. Know that different groups put different emphasis on in-car instruction. Porsche and BMW clubs tend to focus on it more. I haven't run with COM or SCDA but have run with non-marque clubs and when there is more of a focus on racing and time trials, I find that in-car instruction suffers. This is a broad generalization and can change from club to club and chapter to chapter.

Regarding your helmet question above, buy the lightest, most comfortable helmet you can afford from a reputable shop. Go to one that has a large inventory of multiple brands. Reputable shops will not sell crap helmets most likely.
2013 BRZ Limited | SWP | Verus Ventus 1 and High-Efficiency Rear Wing | Invidia N1 Ti | JR Oil Cooler | RCE T2 | RaceSeng Cas/Cam | SPL LCA & TA | Wilwood/RR Racing Stage II/Sport Performance | XP10 | Apex ARC-8 | Toyo R888R | 245/40-17 | Sparco Ergo II/Evo II | AIM MXP | SmartyCam GP HD 2.2
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:07 PM   #24
Imp
Bring out your dead

Drives: '14 BRZ (SSC), '00 S2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
On the flip-side, there's an issue with finding more qualified instructors... many I know that used to, have stopped... mostly because powerful cars and people that just don't listen, think they know better, or malfunctions.

Case in point, this weekend at a PCA event. 70yo driver dead, instructor lifeflighted hanging on for life.

I know it's easy to say you'll listen, but it's also very hard sometimes when the adrenalin is pumping, or you *think* you can go faster and *show them (because they don't really know)*.

Promise, seriously, you have to make a promise to yourself that every word an instructor says will be followed. If they say slow down, you do it, now. Period. It's not only you in the car... in what could be a risky situation.

--kC
dradernh (02-12-2018), Shark_Bait88 (02-12-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 01:54 PM   #25
Jesse36m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzudien View Post
SCDA at Palmer is a blast. They will give you an instructor, I recommend Steve, he drives a Series Yellow BRZ so I am definitely biased. Kidding aside he is a great instructor.

Brake fluid and Pads and you should be fine.

Attend the classroom sessions in between track sessions, they help quite a bit. Palmer has fuel now and it is reasonable priced. They also have a lunch wagon and there is an air compressor there you can use to adjust tire pressures if needed.

Best advice I can give is don't be bashful, everyone I have met at SCDA sessions goes out of their way to help. Listen to the instructors, even jump in the car with them during their sessions to see the potential of the BRZ was eye opening for me.

Elivan Goulart is the SCDA leader, he is a professional driver and drives in the Pirelli world challenge and is a wealth of knowledge.

I drive a Series Yellow BRZ also, so hit me up and say hello. My car has black wheels, Steve's has ugly purple ones so you can tell the difference.
I think I'm going to sign up for the Palmer event on April 7th. Will you be attending?
Old 03-14-2018, 05:48 PM   #26
TraderGuy

Drives: Porsche Cayman S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thought I would jump in and add another plug for SCDA. A good group, I'm planning on going out with them on March 31st at LRP. I've run with NASA, APEX, and PCA as well, have not had a bad experience with any. I'd like to get out with Chin at some point, great feedback from anyone I know who has attended.

SCDA does, or did have a "refer a friend" policy, where the referring driver and the guest would receive a discount on their next track day.
TraderGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:17 PM   #27
Devil 86

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Motorsportsreg.com. I use this website to find and register for all my events. It pools all different kinds of motorsports events into one site and will tell you what's close by. You should try a few different organizations instead of sticking with 1.
Devil 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:05 AM   #28
Filipino Royale
Got Rice?

Drives: 37J BRZ-L
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/86cupNE/

Check us out.
juliog (03-19-2018)