follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 09-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #15
FLYFISHR

Drives: 2014 BR"ZED" Sport-tech DGM MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I have always been a late and hard braker even with my Astro Van. I warped the rotors on that by over heating them and had to put sloted heavy duty ones on it to slove my problems. What pads would you suggest I get for my BRZ that willbe used as a DD and maybe on the track once in it's life time. (that been said you never miss what you never had). Well maybe twice.....
FLYFISHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #16
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbstyle View Post
Not sure how I didn't come across the article until just now, but wow, don't bother trying to run from the cops if they're sporting a Charger:

DODGE CHARGER PURSUIT - 3:17.8

SUBARU BRZ - 3:18.6
Just cross your fingers, hope you are on a twisty road, and hope he has less experience than you?

I mean don't run from the popo >_^
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #17
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suberman View Post
Pad fade can result in a soft feeling pedal, for some drivers. Unlikely to be a brake fluid problem. "Soft" pedal refers to pad fade, spongy pedal means fluid boiling. Fluid boiling is pretty rare.

Street pads are not suitable for track work. The street pads on the BRZ are really excellent but you don't brake very often in this car on the street. There's very little need to brake this car except for red lights and maroons.
Do you know that air can get into the brake lines? It shouldn't since it's sealed but especially as the pad wears, it becomes more likely. Also, the more water the brake fluid absorbs, the higher chance it has of boiling and that water could potentially effect the brake feel too.

But from my experience at least, pad fading or a bad rotor in itself usually just feels like weaker brakes but the pedal stiffness remains the same. This is also true of my hydraulic mountain bike brakes.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #18
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited Man., WRB
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
A car this light and with only 200 hp should be just fine with a brake pad upgrade. I would imagine not even a brake fluid upgrade is needed.
Some nice crossdrilled/slotted rotors wouldn't hurt with brake temps, either
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie4299 View Post
I was waiting for my turn to get my haircut yesterday morning and was reading this issue. Made me want to subscribe again.
I regret not re-subscribing once I had a stable address every time I read C&D. I love that they embraced their always irreverent tone, and when the editor tells people in backfires he doesn't give a crap if they cancelled subscriptions because they were offended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
Do you know that air can get into the brake lines? It shouldn't since it's sealed but especially as the pad wears, it becomes more likely. Also, the more water the brake fluid absorbs, the higher chance it has of boiling and that water could potentially effect the brake feel too.

But from my experience at least, pad fading or a bad rotor in itself usually just feels like weaker brakes but the pedal stiffness remains the same. This is also true of my hydraulic mountain bike brakes.
The only time you're likely to get air in the lines is after incorrectly purging it after removing calipers/disconnecting the brake lines, or if the car's old enough to get a brake line leak.

Getting braided steel hoses would probably fix a good amount of fade/squishiness as well. We also have a firewall that can flex with hard braking, which is why Perrin makes this: http://perrinperformance.com/i-13324...-fr-s-brz.html
DoomsdayJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #19
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayJesus View Post
The only time you're likely to get air in the lines is after incorrectly purging it after removing calipers/disconnecting the brake lines, or if the car's old enough to get a brake line leak.
What about when you boil your brake fluid?

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #20
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited Man., WRB
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
What about when you boil your brake fluid?
See above
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suberman View Post
Pad fade can result in a soft feeling pedal, for some drivers. Unlikely to be a brake fluid problem. "Soft" pedal refers to pad fade, spongy pedal means fluid boiling. Fluid boiling is pretty rare.
Fluid boiling also means you're doing something the stock fluid wasn't intended for.
DoomsdayJesus is offline   Reply With Quote