follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Marketplace > User/Vendor/Sponsor Reviews, Feedback, Comments

User Tag List

Old 08-17-2017, 10:30 PM   #1
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
My experience with Mishimoto so far

So I have an oil cooler from Mishimoto that I purchased second hand.
I read on this forum that there is an updated version of the gasket so I thought before I set my car on fire due to potential oil leak, I should check and see if I can get a new gasket and potentially new fittings from them.

Considering that is potentially the older version, I have sent an email to them asking about the potential update and my willingness to get one and that I would be happy to pay for it if need be.

Two days later, they asked me to send them the link where they specify that
link http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100209
and this is what they said "We modified our o-ring design to offer a flat surface for a more reliable seal less prone to splitting, tearing or cracking. These sandwich plates are used within all of our direct-fit kits, and our customers have been very satisfied with both the functionality and dependability. We do recommend checking that the NPT plugs are tight prior to installation."

Great. Two days later, after i sent the link, I get another email asking for the link again. i sent the link again. Another 3-4 days passed and sent another email asking if they have an update. Instead I get an email from Mishimoto Australia saying that this issue has been resolved and a link to a survey.
Clicked on the link only to be taken to the end of the survey!
So far I had no answer, not even a resolved issue. Not sure who Australian distributor is, but they also failed miserably to actually get in contact to resolve this situation.

Like i said, I am not expecting free stuff, just info and where to get the updated stuff from.

So Mishimoto, I am sure your product is potentially top notch, but your customer service needs improvement big time.
Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:34 PM   #2
Mishimoto

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Hello Hawk77FT

Very sorry to hear about the issue you have been encountering. The AU site is still very new and may have a few potential kinks that need to be worked out. If you send an email to support@mishimoto.com that will be sent straight to our customer service team here in the States and they would be more then happy to help get your issue resolved.

Thank you,
Mishimoto
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mishimoto For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-24-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 01:03 AM   #3
Shibby

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mishimoto customer service is the best. I bought an oil cooler from 86speedfactory and it was missing the banjo fittings and one of the O-rings had a small split in it. I emailed them and after a few emails I just had to provide pics to verify that I wasn't BSing them which is completely understandable, they had new stuff for me in the mail the next day. Then my car spun a bearing at 55k just before I could put it on. Thank god because then the cooler would have to be replaced. lol
Shibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:19 AM   #4
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I've always been really unimpressed with Mishimoto products, but their customer service does their best to right their wrongs.

-My Forester XT "direct fit" radiator doesn't fit evenly side to side, (it's the third one I've installed, as they keep developing pinhole leaks after 1-2 years.)
-The 3 radiator caps they sent me all failed.
-The radiator neck had a plug that when installed pushed on the radiator cap causing it to spray coolant everywhere. When the plug was swapped with a nipple and T'd into the return system, the nipple was barely not rubbing on the radiator support, (add a hose and a clamp, and they rub.)

The entire point of a direct fit product, is that it should fit directly.

The only Mishimoto product I've installed that fit directly was my BRZ induction hose. Is it perfect? No. The color was a faded red out of the box, and the Mishimoto logo was crooked.

I know I sound whiny after re-reading my post, but I've been so underwhelmed, unimpressed, and disappointed that they can't seem to get basic things right.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:47 AM   #5
Somerandom18

Drives: 2017 manual BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That company is so overrated it's not even funny. I'd never buy anything more then a catch can from them.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Somerandom18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:59 AM   #6
JazzleSAURUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandom18 View Post
That company is so overrated it's not even funny. I'd never buy anything more then a catch can from them.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I wouldn't buy a catch can from them. Think about how important that component is to work correctly. If a seal blows you now have an open system.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
The Following User Says Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
Somerandom18 (08-31-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 11:20 AM   #7
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Mishimoto is a company that thrives off of celebrity endorsements, great customer service, and a superb warranty program.

Their products are marketed towards enthusiasts and are not really suitable for high performance environments (unless you have a team of mechanics and/or the company supporting you). Keep that in mind when ordering for them and evaluate against your needs and driving habits accordingly.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:47 AM   #8
JazzleSAURUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
Mishimoto is a company that thrives off of celebrity endorsements, great customer service, and a superb warranty program.

Their products are marketed towards enthusiasts and are not really suitable for high performance environments (unless you have a team of mechanics and/or the company supporting you). Keep that in mind when ordering for them and evaluate against your needs and driving habits accordingly.
They are marketed towards enthusiasts who can't afford the component that is designed correctly with lots of proper R&D.

I can tell you there was about 5 minutes of R&D that went into my FXT radiator.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:16 PM   #9
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
They are marketed towards enthusiasts who can't afford the component that is designed correctly with lots of proper R&D.

I can tell you there was about 5 minutes of R&D that went into my FXT radiator.
It's debatable to find components for our car that can withstand race/high performance environments. There are companies that are definitely doing more testing and consideration than Mishimoto, but even they may fall somewhat short when it comes down to making a product that is within the budget of this demographic.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:24 PM   #10
JazzleSAURUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
It's debatable to find components for our car that can withstand race/high performance environments. There are companies that are definitely doing more testing and consideration than Mishimoto, but even they may fall somewhat short when it comes down to making a product that is within the budget of this demographic.
Always possible.

Look at Robispec, everyone thought they had magic products until they really got shook down.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:01 PM   #11
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
Always possible.

Look at Robispec, everyone thought they had magic products until they really got shook down.
I kinda wanna have you try stuff CSG likes.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:08 AM   #12
JazzleSAURUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I kinda wanna have you try stuff CSG likes.
I would love to.

TBH I do lots of spirited street driving. There are some fantastic mountain driving roads around my neck of the woods, and I'm planning on Palmer Motorsports part eventually.

I've been trying to not mod my BRZ anymore since it's my daily currently.

Once the next ride arrives all bets are off...

I'm a hardware guy though haha