follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook. Interested in the FT-1? Check out FT1Club
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Moto-East
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
Sport-Tech
Senior Member
 
Sport-Tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Drives: TBD
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,187
Thanks: 329
Thanked 427 Times in 241 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Canadian FR-S tires

Can anyone confirm we are getting the same summer-only Primacy HP tires as the US? I forgot to ask about that yesterday, I'd been assuming they would be all-seasons up here due to climate. I can pretty much avoid driving on snow days, but summer-only tires won't likely be safe enough even in sub-freezing dry weather on a RWD car like this. Not looking forward to doing wheel changes every year.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
CoryUyede
NisSubuGuru?
 
CoryUyede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Drives: 2011 Subaru WRX
Location: vancouver bc
Posts: 550
Thanks: 6
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion FR-S View Post
Can anyone confirm we are getting the same summer-only Primacy HP tires as the US? I forgot to ask about that yesterday, I'd been assuming they would be all-seasons up here due to climate. I can pretty much avoid driving on snow days, but summer-only tires won't likely be safe enough even in sub-freezing dry weather on a RWD car like this. Not looking forward to doing wheel changes every year.

I would take a educated guess and say they`re going to be the same as every other market. I know all seasons might be more convenient to some but..it`s a sports car. I don`t know any Canadian market sports cars that come with all Seasons...and if they ever did..they`d put on some "max performance" all seasons that are really 3 season tires. Now a days even run of the mill cars get some of these '3 season' tires if you opt for a sport package

I'll be running 2 sets of rims/tires all year around like I do with all my cars, but i know where you're coming from
__________________

Past to Present
CoryUyede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
colHolm
Default User Title
 
colHolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Drives: FR-S
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 678
Thanks: 176
Thanked 340 Times in 116 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryUyede View Post
I would take a educated guess and say they`re going to be the same as every other market. I know all seasons might be more convenient to some but..it`s a sports car. I don`t know any Canadian market sports cars that come with all Seasons...and if they ever did..they`d put on some "max performance" all seasons that are really 3 season tires. Now a days even run of the mill cars get some of these '3 season' tires if you opt for a sport package

I'll be running 2 sets of rims/tires all year around like I do with all my cars, but i know where you're coming from
As far as I know, they are the same tires.

For the record, all seasons = no seasons. Whether you are driving a sports car or a family sedan, I will always recommend people to have a set of dedicated summer tires, and a set of dedicated winter tires.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot; onlookers will have trouble telling you apart.
colHolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
CoryUyede
NisSubuGuru?
 
CoryUyede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Drives: 2011 Subaru WRX
Location: vancouver bc
Posts: 550
Thanks: 6
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colHolm View Post
As far as I know, they are the same tires.

For the record, all seasons = no seasons. Whether you are driving a sports car or a family sedan, I will always recommend people to have a set of dedicated summer tires, and a set of dedicated winter tires.
Yup, always the way i do it
__________________

Past to Present
CoryUyede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
Capt Canuck
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Drives: BMW E36 323is
Location: Bay Area, NorCal
Posts: 685
Thanks: 47
Thanked 72 Times in 42 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Spot on! When I got my Civic Si back in '07, it came with rubbish Michelin MXM4 (something like that) all-seasons. I replaced them with Star Specs and they performed better in the rain than the supposed all-seasons.

Annoyingly the FRS spec on the Scion site, still has provisos around it, but would Toyota really make changes just for the small Canadian market? Doubt it.
__________________
Capt Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
colHolm
Default User Title
 
colHolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Drives: FR-S
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 678
Thanks: 176
Thanked 340 Times in 116 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Canuck View Post
Spot on! When I got my Civic Si back in '07, it came with rubbish Michelin MXM4
Michelin MX4s, Honda used those tires a lot. I remember picking up a set of SiR wheels back in the day, and I couldn't wait to get em off. I replaced them with Pirelli P6000s.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot; onlookers will have trouble telling you apart.
colHolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
CoryUyede
NisSubuGuru?
 
CoryUyede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Drives: 2011 Subaru WRX
Location: vancouver bc
Posts: 550
Thanks: 6
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colHolm View Post
Michelin MX4s, Honda used those tires a lot. I remember picking up a set of SiR wheels back in the day, and I couldn't wait to get em off. I replaced them with Pirelli P6000s.
If you wanna pay the high price tag, michelin makes some great tires..those are not one of them
__________________

Past to Present
CoryUyede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
Capt Canuck
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Drives: BMW E36 323is
Location: Bay Area, NorCal
Posts: 685
Thanks: 47
Thanked 72 Times in 42 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
^That's it. In the US the optional 'summer tires' were the Exalto PS2s.
I had those on my Clio and they were flippin great :-)

Funnily enough the price difference between Exaltos and the MXM4s was/is pretty small.
__________________
Capt Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
Sasquachulator
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Drives: 2006 Toyota Corolla XRS
Location: Calgary
Posts: 770
Thanks: 0
Thanked 121 Times in 75 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I dont the tire choice is any different between US and Canada.

My Corolla XRS came with Michelin Pilot Primacy stock so i had to buy a separate set of winters.

Ive seen Primacy's on all the SE trim of their various models.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
bneale
Senior Member
 
bneale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: Scion FR-S
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 555
Thanks: 1
Thanked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I wonder if you are asking about the tires because your debating if you should change tires once the snow hits Toronoto this winter? Because if thats the case, I would definatly switch to a proper snow tire. I wouldn't dare use the stock tires for winter driving in Toronto.

That being said, I would invest in a proper winter set and think about buying something for summer driving. I've personally got a set of rims and tires picked out for summer driving and I'll be picking up a set of tires for heavy rain / winter months. We see more rain in Vancouver then snow so the rain tires should keep me planted.

In the end, my winter/rain tires will be on my stock rims and my sticky summer tires will be on a lightweight set of 16inch rims. Once the stock tires are gone, it's either summers or winters / rain for me.

bneale
bneale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #11
Sport-Tech
Senior Member
 
Sport-Tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Drives: TBD
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,187
Thanks: 329
Thanked 427 Times in 241 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
^Not having to commute for work I can pretty well avoid driving when there is significant snow on the road, so the all-seasons on my current car have been fine. But it looks like we are getting HP summer tires so I don't think they will cut it in winter.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
Sasquachulator
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Drives: 2006 Toyota Corolla XRS
Location: Calgary
Posts: 770
Thanks: 0
Thanked 121 Times in 75 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
yeahh.....do not try driving in the winter with summer tires.

Its both scary and you have very little grip.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Delete driver01 Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 5 06-21-2012 12:50 AM
Ordered New Tires Already! NYC BRZ Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 19 04-18-2012 12:37 AM
What tires do you want? ashtray Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 123 12-12-2011 03:15 PM
BRZ: How will the Canadian prices look like? Eureka Subaru BRZ General Forum 1 11-30-2011 02:22 AM
Canadian Pricing? jadsonR Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 17 10-05-2011 11:55 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.