follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 10-17-2017, 12:33 AM   #1
Dee

Drives: 2014 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Stage 2 question

I apologize in advance for such a common question, but after an hour of research I am not crystal clear yet.

I have a UEL Header on my frs, and i want to get a kit for e85, and of course a tune for both.

What do I need to purchase? Ecutek? Open flash kit and tablet? Delicious tuning kit?

Also, I am slightly paranoid.. is there ANY danger in running e85 on a car that is technically not designed for it? I know the kinks in it such as sometimes you can't start in the cold. I'm interested in e85 because I would like to get the most out of my NA motor.

Thank you for your time.
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:17 AM   #2
Harjotdhanota

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
I apologize in advance for such a common question, but after an hour of research I am not crystal clear yet.

I have a UEL Header on my frs, and i want to get a kit for e85, and of course a tune for both.

What do I need to purchase? Ecutek? Open flash kit and tablet? Delicious tuning kit?

Also, I am slightly paranoid.. is there ANY danger in running e85 on a car that is technically not designed for it? I know the kinks in it such as sometimes you can't start in the cold. I'm interested in e85 because I would like to get the most out of my NA motor.

Thank you for your time.
Totally depends on which path you want to take. There are basically 2 ways you can do this:

1) Get an open flash tablet (OFT) and do the e85 tune on there. The thing with OFT is that you have to retune again if you want to start using regular gas again. You CAN NOT mix e85 and regular gas when on a OFT e85 tune.

2) You can get an actual flex fuel kit that will sense your ethanol content, like the delicious tuning kit you mentioned. You CAN mix e85 and regular gas while running a flex fuel kit and there is no need to retune your ecu if you want to use one or the other. This path, however, will cost much more since you have to buy the flex fuel kit AND the ecutek tune in most cases.

Imo, getting the flex fuel kit would be the best option. I would het annoyed of retuning my ecu. One of my friends has been running e85 for months without any issues at all. Only downsides I can think of is more trips to the pump and sometimes your engine won't start on the first turnover.

Edit: here's another thread of info if you haven't read it already.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53477

Last edited by Harjotdhanota; 10-17-2017 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Added info
Harjotdhanota is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harjotdhanota For This Useful Post:
Jyn (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 11:28 AM   #3
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
What Harjotdhanota said is pretty spot on.

As someone who's done both, I recommend option 2. However, you can try out option 1, as OFT are resellable. An EcuTek license is not resellable (since it is unique to your ECU).
Old 10-17-2017, 02:59 PM   #4
elBarto

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
OFT has also Flex-fuel
Created by ztan for MT and ported to AT by Wayno
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elBarto For This Useful Post:
driggity (10-17-2017), Wayno (10-17-2017)