follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #141
Albaro08

Drives: Frs asphalt Grey
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
It's only a manual Problem, and I don't think it was an official TSB, but apparently they have updated the part for the UK at least, but honestly get the raceseng part, it looks genuinely better. Also the leak comes from an area that on the auto is used for a vacuum assisted pump for the auto transmission, the manual transmission doesn't need or have the pump so it's covered with a plate that is bolted on using the same pump bolt points and uses some toyota RTV silicone bead stuff to seal it. That seal was substandard and a gasket would've done a better job
The same thing I told the tech a gasket would have been way better and probably wouldn't ever need change sense its not as hot at the valve cover and block gasket

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
Albaro08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:06 PM   #142
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I bought the Raceseng cover when I noticed my car had the typical cam cover plate leak. After discussing the matter with my dealership (my car was bought as a "certified" used car), they were unwilling to install the plate as it was an aftermarket part, and they strongly cautioned me against installing it myself just in case there were other issues down the road. Now, obviously, that's garbage. A coverplate is not going to cause any further issues, and any denial of warranty coverage based on a coverplate installation would be easily reversed if confronted head-on politely yet firmly.

On the other hand, who likes to fight when you don't have to? Even though the head tech thought the Raceseng design was superior, liked the part, and told me he was going to suggest to folks further up the food chain that they start manufacturing a similar part, he was unable to install it due to company policy. I believed him, and still do. So, I let him fix it the way they're told to; remove, clean up, slap a BUNCH of sealant in there, put it back, and hope for the best.

It's been 3000 miles so far since they did that, and so far so good. I still have the unused Raceseng part. I may hang on to it until my warranty runs out in 2019, or I may install it anyway, or I may sell it to anyone interested. For me, even though it IS a much better solution, arguing w/ the dealership isn't worth it.

Anyone interested?

Barry
MuseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MuseChaser For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (02-25-2016), FRSBRZGT86FAN (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 08:11 PM   #143
Albaro08

Drives: Frs asphalt Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
I bought the Raceseng cover when I noticed my car had the typical cam cover plate leak. After discussing the matter with my dealership (my car was bought as a "certified" used car), they were unwilling to install the plate as it was an aftermarket part, and they strongly cautioned me against installing it myself just in case there were other issues down the road. Now, obviously, that's garbage. A coverplate is not going to cause any further issues, and any denial of warranty coverage based on a coverplate installation would be easily reversed if confronted head-on politely yet firmly.

On the other hand, who likes to fight when you don't have to? Even though the head tech thought the Raceseng design was superior, liked the part, and told me he was going to suggest to folks further up the food chain that they start manufacturing a similar part, he was unable to install it due to company policy. I believed him, and still do. So, I let him fix it the way they're told to; remove, clean up, slap a BUNCH of sealant in there, put it back, and hope for the best.

It's been 3000 miles so far since they did that, and so far so good. I still have the unused Raceseng part. I may hang on to it until my warranty runs out in 2019, or I may install it anyway, or I may sell it to anyone interested. For me, even though it IS a much better solution, arguing w/ the dealership isn't worth it.

Anyone interested?

Barry
Dealers can be an ass you put after market radio and your engines blows they'll try to blame the radio smh, but I heard of that plate luckily I haven't had any leaks yet and it will probably be the next owners issue because I'm selling her but atleast I know to keep my buddy's on put 86 page with some info

Albaro08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:01 PM   #144
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albaro08 View Post
Dealers can be an ass you put after market radio and your engines blows they'll try to blame the radio smh, but I heard of that plate luckily I haven't had any leaks yet and it will probably be the next owners issue because I'm selling her but atleast I know to keep my buddy's on put 86 page with some info

No, they don't do that.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:39 AM   #145
ShadowTS

Drives: Toyota GT86 SWP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albaro08 View Post
I can't see the pic

Moved to imgur for you:

ShadowTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:05 AM   #146
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post

Anyone interested?

Barry
how much?
Old 05-02-2016, 06:32 PM   #147
JDsThatGuy

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
My torque wrench starts at 20lbs, should I just use the tight AF method or go pick up a torque wrench that will let me get to 12lbs?
JDsThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:55 PM   #148
Raceseng

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsThatGuy View Post
My torque wrench starts at 20lbs, should I just use the tight AF method or go pick up a torque wrench that will let me get to 12lbs?
Do you have an inch pounds torque wrench?

12 ft lbs = 144 in lbs
Raceseng is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raceseng For This Useful Post:
JDsThatGuy (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 08:29 PM   #149
JDsThatGuy

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceseng View Post
Do you have an inch pounds torque wrench?

12 ft lbs = 144 in lbs
Yup, looks like it'll work. Thanks!!
JDsThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JDsThatGuy For This Useful Post:
Raceseng (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 12:17 PM   #150
Raceseng

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Raceseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:32 PM   #151
kthxbai

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Thank you to forum contributors (yes, sarcastic contributors too)

Time and time again I can't thank this forum enough from DIYs to useful information on real world experiences from other twin owners like this!

After scouring this forum, sciolife, and some entertaining Reddit posts for about a week, I finally made an appointment last week to take my car in to the dealership this morning. After waiting 2.5 hours from drop off time, the service adviser said he was told that the oil leak was coming from the "weird" oil valve under my car (Fumoto valve). After I was done laughing, I told him that I've already check this point of failure and between my immediate family and myself, we have 6 cars all with Fumoto valves over 5+ years and we've never had a leak. Then I asked if there could be any chance it was coming from the dipstick tube or somewhere else and he stated that he wasn't sure and would have a Toyota Tech look at it further. He admitted that his knowledge on cars was general and it was only his 2nd day on the job. In a span of 30 minutes, I watched a total of 3 Toyota technicians look under the car with the panel detached and inside the engine bay.

Through everyone's documented experience, I went into this appointment more educated on this issue and feel that had I not done my research and checked the car myself, I would have left the dealership with an unnecessary oil change, a brand new oil drain plug, and a problem that was not corrected.

End result from today: Timing cover "seeping" oil; tech stated my car did not fall under the definition of Toyota's for a leak as it's not dripping. However, he is still going to file it under the warranty, so my car is going back in on Wednesday to get the timing cover resealed on Toyota's dime. Hoping that is the extent of the work, but we'll see as I may have to invest in a Raceseng cover in the near future.

Info on my car: Manufactured in October 2012. Purchased in December 2012 with 46 miles. Aftermarket parts for engine are Perrin silicon inlet tube, Perrin CAI, and Perrin CBE.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:27 PM   #152
Jtrem

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just got this plate and someone said its a good idea to put more RTV than suggested in the Raceseng Install video... is that correct?

In the video it just shows two dabs and two points.
Jtrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:16 AM   #153
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrem View Post
Just got this plate and someone said its a good idea to put more RTV than suggested in the Raceseng Install video... is that correct?

In the video it just shows two dabs and two points.
Oh, Bubba says to goop it up all the way around ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:42 AM   #154
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthxbai View Post
End result from today: Timing cover "seeping" oil; tech stated my car did not fall under the definition of Toyota's for a leak as it's not dripping. However, he is still going to file it under the warranty, so my car is going back in on Wednesday to get the timing cover resealed on Toyota's dime. Hoping that is the extent of the work, but we'll see as I may have to invest in a Raceseng cover in the near future.

Info on my car: Manufactured in October 2012. Purchased in December 2012 with 46 miles. Aftermarket parts for engine are Perrin silicon inlet tube, Perrin CAI, and Perrin CBE.
I had mine pulled and resealed recently. You're going to get that oil change when they do it. If I had really thought about it before I left it with the dealer I would have had them change the serpentine belt and tensioners because they pull that stuff to get the cover off. If there's anything else you can think of that you'd change on a 5 year old car that will be removed for this job maybe have that done at the same time.