follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-29-2018, 09:53 PM   #1
Coachrhino11

Drives: Jeep Wrangler
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Newb with questions vs. RF & Abarth

Hello all, just joined forum hoping to learn a little about the twins here from actual owners instead of YouTube videos. I have a ‘17 Jeep Wrangler that I grinded to pay off early and have had my sites on second vehicle for a while, something opposite from my Jeep...handling corners, quick, fun to drive, better on gas, and good long term reliability.

I’ve had my sites set on ND Miata for a while, preferably RF but I’m 6’2, 180. I test drove one, tight but I fit somehow and really enjoyed driving it. Will be honest, learned stick on it, lol. Still need more practice but it’s a start. Then I saw new Fiat Spider Abarth in showroom with red/black seats and was blown away. Quad exhaust. Drove AT and loved the paddles, was really fun.

My last car in consideration is BRZ or 86 from looks and everything I’ve read. Looks like fun car. I’m married with one younger kid, but it’s me driving solo 95% of time and I’m keeping Jeep. Wife making me save to pay cash and not finance regardless of interest rates to “feel pain”. But I am putting good chunk back every month.

Pros and cons of owning BRZ/86 vs. other two other than small backseat? MT I’m assuming like folks on Miata forum? Is AT bad in this car? This car would be my 2nd daily and honestly will probably become 60-75% dd.

Thx in advance guys, really like forum. Sorry so long.
Coachrhino11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:16 PM   #2
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Test drive one.

You'll fit better, and there's space to haul all sorts, including more people in a pinch. I love being able to haul all my track gear in the car, or have room for luggage, etc. when we road trip.

The two platforms are both similar and different. If you had particular plans, one may be better... But for a car that's just about having fun, get the one you connect with best.

C
funwheeldrive (01-30-2018), kch (01-30-2018), Spuds (01-29-2018), strat61caster (01-31-2018), yberther (02-02-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 10:31 PM   #3
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,434 Times in 6,149 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
+1 for test drive it.

MT guys will say MT is best, AT guys will say AT is best. But really MT is best . Test both maybe?

I would think an abarth isn't the most reliable choice. Unless something has changed, reliable performance isn't the Italians' strong suit. I'd love to know how it compares to a twin though.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:05 PM   #4
Coachrhino11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
+1 for test drive it.

MT guys will say MT is best, AT guys will say AT is best. But really MT is best . Test both maybe?

I would think an abarth isn't the most reliable choice. Unless something has changed, reliable performance isn't the Italians' strong suit. I'd love to know how it compares to a twin though.
True regarding Abarth. That’s my hesitation with Fiat, noticing pricing on new models is already dropping. I love looks of RF but not sure I want to drop that much cash on it, I can get new BRZ for less than 23-24k. How’s clutch and shifter on BRZ? Especially for newb driving manual in traffic? It’ll be a while. Summer at earliest and possibly this time next year. I’ll probably test drive BRZ and 86 around March. I say March because I’m helping another person I know shop Subaru around that time and I’ll be there.

Any difference between Subaru and Toyota other than name for these? Honestly I’m not too crazy about huge spoiler on ts model but like wheels. Would like wheels without spoiler.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:06 PM   #5
Brzandt

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited.
Miata is going to get small really fast in you. Not at all practical for a big guy with family. Purely a fun car sure. 70% dd not gonna happen.
Brzandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:30 AM   #6
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,434 Times in 6,149 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachrhino11 View Post
True regarding Abarth. That’s my hesitation with Fiat, noticing pricing on new models is already dropping. I love looks of RF but not sure I want to drop that much cash on it, I can get new BRZ for less than 23-24k. How’s clutch and shifter on BRZ? Especially for newb driving manual in traffic? It’ll be a while. Summer at earliest and possibly this time next year. I’ll probably test drive BRZ and 86 around March. I say March because I’m helping another person I know shop Subaru around that time and I’ll be there.

Any difference between Subaru and Toyota other than name for these? Honestly I’m not too crazy about huge spoiler on ts model but like wheels. Would like wheels without spoiler.
Shifter is great when gearbox is warmed up, but can be a bit difficult when cold, particularly on a new car. I don't have anything I've driven even worth comparing it to though.

At this point the clutch feels 'normal' to me. I do remember it had a higher bite point relative to my previous car. All clutches are different and take some getting used to.

Between the twins, there are some suspension differences (less so now than earlier models as I hear?), but mostly it's interior, trim, and packages/add ons. There's also differences in the branding and service, but that's just Toyota vs Subaru in general.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:57 AM   #7
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Sounds like an FR-S/86/BRZ is right up your alley. Get a manual. Get tires. Get a tune+header and you're done (or just getting started.) IMO the 86 platform is the king of the low cost sports car Daily Driver. It's like a Miata but with just enough extra amenities to be useful day to day. Don't hesitate.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:31 AM   #8
Coachrhino11

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I’m certainly not buying to track, just fun little dd to keep miles low on my Jeep and save gas and enjoy. How’s driving stick on this for one with limited experience compared to ND I’m wondering? If anyone’s here driven ND. I know nothing about headers and tunes other than have heard about them, lol. Void warranty? Brands, money?

I have heard the AT is really good on the newer models of these cars for those thinking about going that route, I will test both in March. I notice AT gets a decent amount better mpg, I do care about gas being as my other vehicle is a damn Wrangler, possibly worse than any vehicle on market but I love my Jeep.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:36 AM   #9
MRCA1ST

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachrhino11 View Post
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I’m certainly not buying to track, just fun little dd to keep miles low on my Jeep and save gas and enjoy. How’s driving stick on this for one with limited experience compared to ND I’m wondering? If anyone’s here driven ND. I know nothing about headers and tunes other than have heard about them, lol. Void warranty? Brands, money?

I have heard the AT is really good on the newer models of these cars for those thinking about going that route, I will test both in March. I notice AT gets a decent amount better mpg, I do care about gas being as my other vehicle is a damn Wrangler, possibly worse than any vehicle on market but I love my Jeep.

I am not sure how the ND is, but the 86 MT is pretty easy to drive IMO. The clutch is light, consistent and the FA20 doesn't make enough torque to jerk you around, lol. I have 5 more kids than you do, so not exactly an even comparison, but those extra seats and trunk space definitely come in handy - the Miata would not work for me even though I am alone in it 95% of the time. I have heard the AT is decent on these cars, but there is a performance cost to be paid in lost power, acceleration, etc. If you drive both and don't notice the difference, you might be just as well with the AT since you haven't felt the need to own an MT up to this point anyways.

Header and tune won't void your warranty, but depending on what route you take you might have issues with emissions if that is a thing where you live. Cost for that setup varies from roughly $1200-$3000+ depending on brand/cats/custom vs OTS tune/etc
MRCA1ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:08 AM   #10
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Give this a read through
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115412
bkharmony (01-31-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 10:21 AM   #11
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
A Jeep then a Fiat... You love pain. Toyota reliability might not be your thing.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
G-Man (01-31-2018), yberther (02-02-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 10:59 AM   #12
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
A Jeep then a Fiat... You love pain. Toyota reliability might not be your thing.
A Jeep and Fiat have poor reviews generaly. However the 124 is a Mazda so It should do better. The 86 is produced by Fuji Heavy industries so you are actually getting Subaru reliability that is generally a little below true Toyota cars.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:00 AM   #13
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Price difference is way too high for 86 vs MX5 RF, Fiat isn't even a choice imo. With the difference in price you could either just save that money or put it into the 86.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:01 AM   #14
Code Monkey

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
At 6'2" the Miata will get old very fast.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Code Monkey For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-30-2018)