follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 08-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #85
phastafrican

Drives: 2013 Raven Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
Does disabling ABS affect brake bias ?
Most modern cars, including ours, have the brake proportioning managed through ABS. So disabling ABS reverts to manual proportioning, where it's up to the driver to manage the amount of pressure being applied since 50% of the braking is available to both the front and rear.

How it affects bias? I can't really say. You would need to take into account the braking system itself (pistons, pads, rotors, etc.). There is a natural brake balance associated with the size of the pistons in most cars that still gives ~70/30 brake bias without ABS. I run Hawk DT70 all around with stock brakes (Hawk's most powerful ceramic pads), and I had no problem with brake bias. Locked up once dive-bombing another car... but that's the expected result of too much pressure deeper into the brake zone. I am used to braking without ABS, I would caution a first timer to get some practice before stomping on the binders without ABS in the street (only for race cars)

Hope that's useful information... just sharing what I know.
RaceCar:2013 Scion FR-S #986 NASA PTD || Tow:2011 Dodge Durango R/T
phastafrican is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phastafrican For This Useful Post:
Sleepless (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 02:02 PM   #86
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I am not sure if it's in my mind but I think my lap times were a bit better at the event when I had no ABS,EBD or other nannies.. I damaged my ABS sensor a few days before that track day so I wasn't able to receive and install the ABS sensor.. I said to myself "screw it I had cars with no ABS before it should be OK" and it was ..well, until I locked my tires and spun out .. my lap times were around 1:58s all day and after I fixed the ABS sensor with no TC/VSD partially off (hold down on TC button for 5 secs) it was around 1:59-2:00s.. maybe it's because it was a bit hotter on the second time (after it was fixed) or I started stabbing the brakes instead of modulating them.. it was a bit hard for me to adopt the threshold braking since I didn't have a non-ABS car for more than 10 years and my BRZ was relatively new to me that day..with the new FI, coilovers, new race pads (no bedding applied before the track day) and bunch of other mods.. after I change my pads and rotors (sometimes next week) I will complete the bedding procedure before going to track this time (lol) and try to pull the ABS fuse to see how it will feel this time.
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:34 PM   #87
philooo

Drives: 13' Scion FRS Track car
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
main problem disabling the ABS is the risk to destroy a full set of 4 tires in just 2 seconds.
If you wheels lock at high speed you will flat spot your tires in a second.

For me the ABS really something that saves my tires when I get too zealous with the late braking.
philooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:59 PM   #88
phastafrican

Drives: 2013 Raven Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philooo View Post
main problem disabling the ABS is the risk to destroy a full set of 4 tires in just 2 seconds.
If you wheels lock at high speed you will flat spot your tires in a second.

For me the ABS really something that saves my tires when I get too zealous with the late braking.
Unless you're running slicks, not DOT R compounds, a minor lockup doesn't ruin your tires entirely. My Hoosier R6s, come right back around to normal after 2 laps following a 50m lockup. There's just a minor vibration to deal with for those few laps. Plus, you'll release the brake immediately when you lock up if you actually plan to make the corner.
Racing without ABS is really not that big a deal except in the rain. You just need to get out there and learn your car.
RaceCar:2013 Scion FR-S #986 NASA PTD || Tow:2011 Dodge Durango R/T
phastafrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:23 PM   #89
juliog

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Garage
Cracked a wheel in the canyons last night when I stabbed my brake pedal and car went into ICE mode. I was braking in a straight line. Car started sliding, I'm not sure I felt ABS pulsing but stopping power was greatly reduced, as if I wasn't on the brakes.

I guess stabbing on the brake pedal triggered it. I normally easy in my braking, but was wearing flip flops (I know ) and failed at initial modulation.

Also TC was off, but no pedal dance. AFAIK pedal dance doesn't prevent ICE mode, so it might be time to pull the ABS fuse

OFF should be OFF... #FML
juliog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:24 AM   #90
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Get this http://www.beastronix.com/shop/86nanny-pedal-dance-abs/

It works, i have one and have had a blast doing donuts at will!

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
juliog (09-13-2015), ultra (09-27-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 01:18 PM   #91
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliog View Post
Cracked a wheel in the canyons last night when I stabbed my brake pedal and car went into ICE mode. I was braking in a straight line. Car started sliding, I'm not sure I felt ABS pulsing but stopping power was greatly reduced, as if I wasn't on the brakes.

I guess stabbing on the brake pedal triggered it. I normally easy in my braking, but was wearing flip flops (I know ) and failed at initial modulation.

Also TC was off, but no pedal dance. AFAIK pedal dance doesn't prevent ICE mode, so it might be time to pull the ABS fuse

I recall recently someone telling me I was flat out lying when I said the same thing happened to me. TC was off from the 3 sec press and it came back on by itself.
Were the dash lights back off (TC) enabled after the slide?
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:33 PM   #92
juliog

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Get this http://www.beastronix.com/shop/86nanny-pedal-dance-abs/

It works, i have one and have had a blast doing donuts at will!
Will have to try it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
I recall recently someone telling me I was flat out lying when I said the same thing happened to me. TC was off from the 3 sec press and it came back on by itself.
I'm not sure if the TC light came back on, as I turned off car immediately once it stopped and I had an airbag in my face lol.
juliog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:09 PM   #93
Beastronix

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliog View Post

@juliog Sounds like you have already mostly figured it out Yes, ICE mode is in relation to ABS. You can call it a side effect of ABS if you will. Drivers with fast feet (typically left foot brake drivers) often work to a point where the ABS can't keep up and causes a huge loss in braking power AKA ice mode. It is terrifying...

Disabling ABS will be the solution. I have a blog post on ice mode, but not sure I can post it myself without getting in trouble (not a paid sponsor).
Beastronix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beastronix For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-13-2015), juliog (09-13-2015), ultra (09-27-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 05:22 PM   #94
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
CEL re-enabled TC on me for a few brief seconds (coil pack fault, saw it happen on the ~5s press and in sport mode) and then disable itself as I kept going, was pretty weird...
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:41 PM   #95
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
CEL re-enabled TC on me for a few brief seconds (coil pack fault, saw it happen on the ~5s press and in sport mode) and then disable itself as I kept going, was pretty weird...

This is a relatively unknown issue that I experienced as well while trying to drive through a failing coil pack during a track weekend. I was okay with the motor running a little rough at high rpm but wasn't ready for the rear brakes to apply themselves in a 90 mph turn.
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:26 PM   #96
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Six View Post
This is a relatively unknown issue that I experienced as well while trying to drive through a failing coil pack during a track weekend. I was okay with the motor running a little rough at high rpm but wasn't ready for the rear brakes to apply themselves in a 90 mph turn.
Ouch, I was lucky it seemed to resolve itself on the straights on third gear pulls and disappear before I went to fourth, just seemed to happen under prolonged hard accel in third.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote