follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-17-2016, 09:49 PM   #29
clayrush

Drives: FRS,09 370z, 00 CelicaGT-S, 85 300Z
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, having to take off in 2nd gear will beat the hell out of having a pissed off girlfriend .......

humfrz

it's her car.
clayrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:29 PM   #30
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayrush View Post
it's her car.
So, whos idea was it to put in an aftermarket clutch in her car in the first place ..... ??

If it was yours ....... you deserve to be "not" screwed ......

If it was her idea, and you didn't stop her ....... you are still "not" screwed.....

So, while you're not having sex, you might as well work some overtime to make the money to have an OEM clutch put back in her car .......

Best you learn your lesson with a relatively minor issue like a clutch in a car ....... rather than buy a house that your girlfriend/wife doesn't like ......just because it was a good deal ........ and spend the next five years remodeling it ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
clayrush (06-18-2016), Ultramaroon (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 10:35 PM   #31
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Best you learn your lesson with a relatively minor issue like a clutch in a car ....... rather than buy a house that your girlfriend/wife doesn't like ......just because it was a good deal ........ and spend the next five years remodeling it ......

humfrz
Old 06-18-2016, 01:30 AM   #32
clayrush

Drives: FRS,09 370z, 00 CelicaGT-S, 85 300Z
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
So, whos idea was it to put in an aftermarket clutch in her car in the first place ..... ??

If it was yours ....... you deserve to be "not" screwed ......

If it was her idea, and you didn't stop her ....... you are still "not" screwed.....

So, while you're not having sex, you might as well work some overtime to make the money to have an OEM clutch put back in her car .......

humfrz

LOL wut.

Perhaps I was over stating the pissed part of it. more of a "are you sure I needed this stupid clutch" with a bit of a piercing glare.

The clutch upgrade was out of necessity (because supercharger on e85). The brand / type was my fault.

It's not the end of the world or anything. Just a ongoing frustration. We all know that when a girl gets annoyed after a long drive, the fangs can come out.

The aggravations of a modified car do however quickly melt away when she stomps on it or hits some twisty back roads.

(she gets to pick the next house so she can take all the responsibility for any issues she has with the design of the place. But we all know how that works.)
clayrush is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clayrush For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-18-2016), Ultramaroon (06-18-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 02:39 AM   #33
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayrush View Post
LOL wut.

Perhaps I was over stating the pissed part of it. more of a "are you sure I needed this stupid clutch" with a bit of a piercing glare.

The clutch upgrade was out of necessity (because supercharger on e85). The brand / type was my fault.

It's not the end of the world or anything. Just a ongoing frustration. We all know that when a girl gets annoyed after a long drive, the fangs can come out.

The aggravations of a modified car do however quickly melt away when she stomps on it or hits some twisty back roads.

(she gets to pick the next house so she can take all the responsibility for any issues she has with the design of the place. But we all know how that works.)
She very well may keep "are you sure I needed this stupid clutch" in reserve, which could be used, against you, for a totally unrelated situation, years down the road.

Also, I suggest you keep in mind, that they have an iron clad filing system for things like annoyances, that is accumulative and never gets thinned out.

Good thinking about letting her pick out her "nest". But, as you suspect, it will need some "personalization", but if you let her pick out the house, any changes that she decides upon, she will make you think it is your idea.

Well, I hope you get your clutch settled down .......

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
clayrush (06-18-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 01:44 PM   #34
mirin_gains

Drives: 2011 civic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OP does it happen all the time or only on occasion? I've had this problem on my civic and I swear some people have this happen and don't notice it. I'm usually very gently with my throws, and I was telling my friend with a BMW about this and he thought it was odd, then I had him get in my car and drive it and he said everything seemed normal. Then I had him drive with me and I came to a stop and had trouble getting into first, told him to try and get it in first and he said yeah, you just gotta push it a little bit. Then I drove his car and I couldn't get it into first without using a little more force and he said that's normal....

So idk i've never found a definitive solution to this issue, I dont think my clutch is going because its been doing this for 10s of thousands of miles and hasn't gotten worse. Its noticeably more difficult to get into gear in the winter though. Sometimes it's butter smooth, other times it just feels like the teeth are misaligned so it doesn't slip in. When I changed gear oil it didn't make much of a difference (but I just replaced it with OEM)
mirin_gains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:32 PM   #35
Silver10series

Drives: 2013 frs 10 series
This happened to me. Shortly after I somehow list 5th gear. Toyota warrantied the trans. Gave me a brand new one. My car only had 21500 miles on it at the time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Silver10series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:33 PM   #36
Silver10series

Drives: 2013 frs 10 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver10series View Post
This happened to me. Shortly after I somehow lost 5th gear. Toyota warrantied the trans. Gave me a brand new one. My car only had 21500 miles on it at the time.

Silver10series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #37
TurboHeartFRS

Drives: Silver and black
Same issue

Sorry to bring up such an old thread but I am having the same issue with my frs. This started happening after I had my clutch replaced with and ACT clutch kit and did a noob mistake of supplying Motul 300LS for the transmission instead of the regular 300.

Have you guys been able to fix the problem?

I’m going to try by changing the oil to the 300 and see if it helps before getting an oem clutch kit and probably will need a new throw out bearing from what I’ve heard it might have gotten messed up with the ACT clutch...
TurboHeartFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #38
brz2727

Drives: white brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Can you get it into reverse? If yes, it's not the clutch.
what if i can't get into reverse would it be my pressure plate?
brz2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:23 PM   #39
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by brz2727 View Post
The first thing I would check is the fluid level in the clutch system.

Next, I would bleed the system.

Next, I would call on @Ultramaroon.

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 07:32 PM   #40
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brz2727 View Post
Start from the very beginning. Is it stock? If no, what exactly has been changed?

Have you played with any adjustments?

How many miles? Noises?...
Old 04-19-2019, 06:20 AM   #41
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwot View Post
Gears are a series of teeth and roots. In order for 2 gears to mate, or mesh, the teeth of one gear must be matched with the roots of the other gear. If in a static state, they are facing tooth to tooth, obviously they cannot mesh.

And since 1st and reverse are almost never synchronized, you must manually "synchronize" the gears by either selecting another gear then going back to 1st, or simply going back to neutral, release the clutch, then go back to 1st. This allows the drive gear to re-orient itself. This condition will occasionally occur on any manual tranny. It is NOT a defect or malfunction.

Both of my MR2 Owner's Manuals included those specific instructions if you had difficulty selecting 1st or reverse.

FYI, manual transmissions are constant mesh, that is to say, all 6 gears are constantly engaged and turning, you select a gear by sliding a lock ring on a shift hub, and locking one gear to the shaft. The lock ring grabs tiny teeth on the side of the gear and lock it to the shift hub, the synchronizer is a small and tapered soft metal ring that lands on a matching taper on the side of the gear before the teeth meet and friction beings the shaft to speed to the teeth can mate.

First gear in the Aisin AZ6 is synchronized.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:26 PM   #42
Brz_Dave

Drives: 2015 Whiteout Brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Completely stock or have you changed anything?
Hey tcoat , I’m having some trouble and am in desperate need of help /opinions. Can you please clear a message from your inbox so I can send you a pm lol ? You too famous I can’t even message you 😭😂
Brz_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote