follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2015, 02:38 PM   #1
c4lvinnn

Drives: Toyobaruion
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Chirping from HPFP

I know there's a TSB: S-SB-0023-12-Rev2 for the chirping from the HPFP already. But I went to the dealer this weekend to get my first oil change on the '15 and asked about this since the chirp is pretty damn annoying.

Service advisor said that they can't replace any pumps starting recently due to a "recall" of the pumps from Subaru. Only if your pump completely died can they replace it until Subaru is complete with the revised pumps. Apparently they've had actual pumps dying (thought it was just an annoying sound), so they're revising the pumps.

Anyone have any documentation on it? The advisor said all he got was just an email and no official documentation yet. Which I'm not sure I believe, but either way, I was denied the TSB for the pump.
c4lvinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:36 PM   #2
Eski

Drives: '15 Brz Series Blue
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
LOL theres 4 or 5 different threads now about this HPFP. It's not a detrimental issue to the vehicle so there is no need to replace them and the service managers are getting mad that everyone with over 300 miles on their car is bringing it in for a new free one that will just chirp in another 300 miles. I have spoken with the engineers at Subaru in japan and many other locations and all have said there is no fix, its all based on the gasoline you use and it causes no damage to any components. It's just annoying and one of the things you have to deal with while owning a BRZ/FR-S. Turn the music up, get headers/exhaust or get ear plugs.
Most of these pumps that have been "dieing" are due to owners attempting un-recommended procedures to cure the crickets themselves, over using fuel treatments or the least likely, mechanical failure.
tyrantcf (05-24-2015)
Old 05-24-2015, 04:19 PM   #3
tyrantcf

Drives: '16 WRX, CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4lvinnn View Post
I know there's a TSB: S-SB-0023-12-Rev2 for the chirping from the HPFP already. But I went to the dealer this weekend to get my first oil change on the '15 and asked about this since the chirp is pretty damn annoying.

Service advisor said that they can't replace any pumps starting recently due to a "recall" of the pumps from Subaru. Only if your pump completely died can they replace it until Subaru is complete with the revised pumps. Apparently they've had actual pumps dying (thought it was just an annoying sound), so they're revising the pumps.

Anyone have any documentation on it? The advisor said all he got was just an email and no official documentation yet. Which I'm not sure I believe, but either way, I was denied the TSB for the pump.
Don't hold your breath.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:53 PM   #4
phrosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eski View Post
I have spoken with the engineers at Subaru in japan and many other locations and all have said there is no fix, its all based on the gasoline you use and it causes no damage to any components.
The crazy thing to me is that Subaru/Toyota haven't revised the pump to work silently with all fuel types. I'm sure they don't want their cars to sound like beaters, even if there's no damage being done.
2013 Whiteout 6AT FR-S | Perrin Inlet Tube + 2.75" CAI | OpenFlash Header | P&L Catback | 4.88 Final Drive | Dialed in OFT 2.0x Stage 2 E85 | 18x8 Enkei Raijin + 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | 17x7 Stock + 215/45 Michelin X-Ice Xi-2
phrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:42 PM   #5
Eski

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrosty View Post
The crazy thing to me is that Subaru/Toyota haven't revised the pump to work silently with all fuel types. I'm sure they don't want their cars to sound like beaters, even if there's no damage being done.
That's why I contacted the engineers, I wanted to know if they had a fix or were working on a fix but they said it really just comes down to where you get your gas from. Different ethanol amounts in each brand/supplier changes from gas station to gas station, state to state and country to country. Some people never have crickets, others change gas stations and the crickets go away and others just don't care. Personally I can't be bothered to drive an extra 20 miles to the closest non-ethanol gas station and im not willing to fill up on ethanol free gas that's 10$ a gallon.

It comes down to the valves inside the HPFP that are causing the chirps/cricket noises and they can't yet seem to find a general way to fix it for all gas types.
Tcoat (05-24-2015)
Old 05-24-2015, 06:04 PM   #6
phrosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eski View Post
That's why I contacted the engineers, I wanted to know if they had a fix or were working on a fix but they said it really just comes down to where you get your gas from.
I've never met an engineer who'd admit defeat. Makes it difficult to believe you. Unless they were only talking about fixes owners could do to silence their existing fuel pumps.
2013 Whiteout 6AT FR-S | Perrin Inlet Tube + 2.75" CAI | OpenFlash Header | P&L Catback | 4.88 Final Drive | Dialed in OFT 2.0x Stage 2 E85 | 18x8 Enkei Raijin + 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | 17x7 Stock + 215/45 Michelin X-Ice Xi-2
phrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:27 PM   #7
Eski

Quote:
I've never met an engineer who'd admit defeat. Makes it difficult to believe you. Unless they were only talking about fixes owners could do to silence their existing fuel pumps.
It's not so much as them admitting defeat as it is them saying that in many parts of the world this issue is not common therefor its not a problem for them to fix. They did say just deal with the chirps tho to the owners who attempt to silence their own and now they do not approve the recall on the HPFP to jus swap out for a new one when yours starts to chirp unless it actually dies or a different problem occurs.
Tcoat (05-24-2015)
Old 05-24-2015, 06:32 PM   #8
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
The engineers may not admit defeat but their bosses sure will. Contrary to popular belief even engineers report to somebody holding the purse strings and they are only going to allow so much money to be thrown at a problem before they just can the project.

Be willing to bet that the OP's service people just made up their little story to get people off their back. My dealer was at least honest and said that they are not going to throw money away on changing a pump that doesn't fix anything unless instructed to do so directly by Toyoda customer service.
Dadhawk (05-25-2015), Eski (05-24-2015), FRSBRZGT86FAN (05-25-2015), Nu_era (05-24-2015), Quentin (05-25-2015), strat61caster (05-25-2015)
Old 05-24-2015, 07:09 PM   #9
Vroomin86

Drives: 2015 Fire
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Having a friend who works directly at the port of Miami, I can tell you according to him (he is responsible for dispersing the crude gas to each companies reserves) that Chevron takes the most pride in their octane. They all have to meet the standard to be sold which they do, but Chevron goes above and beyond that.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:48 PM   #10
Eski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroomin86 View Post
Having a friend who works directly at the port of Miami, I can tell you according to him (he is responsible for dispersing the crude gas to each companies reserves) that Chevron takes the most pride in their octane. They all have to meet the standard to be sold which they do, but Chevron goes above and beyond that.
I have heard this before, however I have never used chevron gas, only because it's not the closest or on my daily route. Has anyone tried chevron thru a few tanks and noticed a difference in the crickets?
Old 05-25-2015, 09:36 AM   #11
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroomin86 View Post

It isn't an octane issue, though.

I usually fill up where it is most convenient and the chirps vary depending on the station. Ironically, the chirps seem less noticeable on cheap Sheetz gas.

Sent from Tandy 400
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:20 AM   #12
Vroomin86

Drives: 2015 Fire
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It isn't the octane, it's the additives.... or lack there of.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:21 PM   #13
c4lvinnn

Drives: Toyobaruion
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yes, I know it's all about the ethanol variations in the gas and brand of gas you use. All I was wanting to know if there's any official documentation supporting said service advisor.

I'm not willing to go out of my way for a different type of gas, so I'll just live with it and until I get exhaust, I'll hear chirps.
c4lvinnn is offline   Reply With Quote