follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #29
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by crook View Post
Im running a turbosmart eboost street and it fits snugly into the little phone holder part under the a/c panel (1/4 din size)
That is where I have my GFB G-Force II EBC placed as well. I just pull it out a little when I need to adjust it.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #30
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alhammadi View Post
u can add me as well =) tomorrow am gonna update the post and upload dyno chart, my 86 did 289 HP at 7PIS thanx to @FullBlown

Here is the link
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=828283
Got you added.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:36 PM   #31
crook

Drives: storm black GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
That is where I have my GFB G-Force II EBC placed as well. I just pull it out a little when I need to adjust it.
Mine fits pretty snug and don't need to pull out at all (just had to cut into the back of the plastic holder to fit it
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375155405.711310.jpg
Views: 1822
Size:  214.2 KB
crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:32 AM   #32
dabocx

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Been waiting for the fuel pump and EBCS from FA20 club for over 2 or 3 weeks now Im just going to order them again from another vendor and start the install this week if my installer is down. Hopefully FA20 club can do the tuning if not ill just see if FBM will be generous enough to throw a wastegate basemap my way.
dabocx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #33
FullBlown

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,026 Times in 548 Posts
Mentioned: 298 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Pm'd
FullBlown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #34
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabocx View Post
Been waiting for the fuel pump and EBCS from FA20 club for over 2 or 3 weeks now Im just going to order them again from another vendor and start the install this week if my installer is down. Hopefully FA20 club can do the tuning if not ill just see if FBM will be generous enough to throw a wastegate basemap my way.
Just for you

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42495
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #35
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crook View Post
Mine fits pretty snug and don't need to pull out at all (just had to cut into the back of the plastic holder to fit it
I have the BRZ with the smaller phone holder because of the start button. The GFB is a touch screen top, so I have to pull it out a little to hit the buttons on top. I just drilled a hole for the boost reference tube and wiring to fit through the back of the phone holder.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #36
No Limit Motorsport

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to No Limit Motorsport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabocx View Post
I guess ill email one of the tuners on here and see what they say.
The electronic solenoid controlled via the stock ECU is the way to go in my mind. I can't really think of an advantage of the stand-a-lone controller, unless you are tuning your own car, and than at that point you would be able to adjust the solenoid yourself. With the solenoid the car always hits target boost.

1. Ability to cut boost in case of an overboost or other conditions via the ECU. IMO this is much safer than a stand-a-lone controller.

2. Ability to raise boost level via cruise control stalk. I have two maps that I can select. Low boost, wastegate spring 6psi, and high boost 11psi. Super easy to change on the fly, takes about 1.5 seconds. No messing with dials or buttons, no setting gain or boost off of %'s

3. Cost, only $100

4. Simplicity of use, just have the tuner set it, and forget it. If you were going to raise you boost more than you were tuned for originally, you were going to need a re-tune anyway...
No Limit Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to No Limit Motorsport For This Useful Post:
ravenblackfrs (09-13-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #37
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

1. Ability to cut boost in case of an overboost or other conditions via the ECU. IMO this is much safer than a stand-a-lone controller.

My GFB EBC does this as well.

2. Ability to raise boost level via cruise control stalk. I have two maps that I can select. Low boost, wastegate spring 6psi, and high boost 11psi. Super easy to change on the fly, takes about 1.5 seconds.

I can raise the boost to any level I want from a touch screen display in the car. I have 6 presets that only take a single button press to cycle through while I have the cruise control turned on.

3. Cost, only $100

Cost was $300, but I get a display that also works as a vacuum/boost gauge and the ability to tune the duty cycle, gain, and sensativity without the need of an EcuTek tuner.

4. Simplicity of use, just have the tuner set it, and forget it. If you were going to raise you boost more than you were tuned for originally, you were going to need a re-tune anyway...

A tune should not just fall apart if you decide to turn up the boost, but I agree that simplicity is probably better for some people.

Can we talk negatives? In order to use EcuTek boost control you have to eliminate the OEM fuel tank vent setup. How about the fact that very few solenoids will work for this setup because you are limited by the fact you are using the OEM fuel tank vent setup to control the EBCS. How about the fact that only a few tuners have actually gotten this to work successfully.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #38
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
i've never had success with electronic boost control of any sort. mbc is far easier to get good results with, in my experience.

are there any downsides to not having the fuel vent setup in place? seems kinda important...
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #39
No Limit Motorsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post

2. Ability to raise boost level via cruise control stalk. I have two maps that I can select. Low boost, wastegate spring 6psi, and high boost 11psi. Super easy to change on the fly, takes about 1.5 seconds.

I can raise the boost to any level I want from a touch screen display in the car. I have 6 presets that only take a single button press to cycle through while I have the cruise control turned on.

3. Cost, only $100

Cost was $300, but I get a display that also works as a vacuum/boost gauge and the ability to tune the duty cycle, gain, and sensativity without the need of an EcuTek tuner.

A tune should not just fall apart if you decide to turn up the boost, but I agree that simplicity is probably better for some people.

Can we talk negatives? In order to use EcuTek boost control you have to eliminate the OEM fuel tank vent setup. How about the fact that very few solenoids will work for this setup because you are limited by the fact you are using the OEM fuel tank vent setup to control the EBCS. How about the fact that only a few tuners have actually gotten this to work successfully.

Why do you always take such a defensive stance of every mod you do, even when posts aren't directed at you at all? Its good you like your GFB controller and it works for you. I just fear for the many people who have little automotive knowledge, who than turbo their cars, which is somewhat risky in itself if you don't understand the system, than you throw a user adjusted boost controller into the mix....

Not every electronic controller has this feature, and no manual controllers do.

You change you boost while your using cruise control?
Why do you need 6 boost levels? High, med-high, med, med-low, low?

3. Cost, only $100

Cost was $300, but I get a display that also works as a vacuum/boost gauge and the ability to tune the duty cycle, gain, and sensitivity without the need of an EcuTek tuner.

Cool. I guess this is about the cost of a boost gauge + EBCS. Once the boost is set right you shouldn't need to adjust any of those settings though.

There are a lot of people out there who don't have the know how to use an electronic controller, who don't care to know, and will screw there car up by using it improperly. After 10 years in this industry I have seen my fair share blown motors due to lack of knowledge.

--------------------------

Can we talk negatives?

In order to use EcuTek boost control you have to eliminate the OEM fuel tank vent setup.

This would negatively effect emissions somewhat. Just like removing a catalytic converter. There is something to be said about a plug-n-play installation though.

How about the fact that very few solenoids will work for this setup because you are limited by the fact you are using the OEM fuel tank vent setup to control the EBCS.

What electronic MAC solenoid doesn't work with this?

Ones that do... Grimmspeed, Perrin, Cobb, AEM, universal MAC valves. I suggest Grimmspeed, Perrin or Cobb since it has the proper connector already on it.

How about the fact that only a few tuners have actually gotten this to work successfully.

Who can't get it to work? If they can't, I suggest finding a competent tuner. My tuner had it setup and working with no issues in minutes. It works PERFECT.

----------------------

One last issue with some (all?) stand-a-lone electronic controllers is they do not have a stored memory built into them, therefore if your battery dies, or you have to disconnect your battery for something, you have to setup your boost controller all over again, more than likely on public roads. With the ECU controlled EBCS the ECU always stores the settings. Than if you throw into the mix an uneducated user who doesn't understand gain and duty cycle %'s it is a recipe for disaster or a trip to someone who knows how to use it.

Last edited by No Limit Motorsport; 07-30-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #40
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Limit Motorsport View Post
Can we talk negatives?

In order to use EcuTek boost control you have to eliminate the OEM fuel tank vent setup.

This would negatively effect emissions somewhat. Just like removing a catalytic converter. There is something to be said about a plug-n-play installation though.

Honest question, is this the only negative? Meaning, eliminating the tank vent will not create additional pressure or make something else fail, or just any other issues?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #41
No Limit Motorsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Honest question, is this the only negative? Meaning, eliminating the tank vent will not create additional pressure or make something else fail, or just any other issues?
People have been eliminating these solenoids on cars for years now without issue. They are there for emissions purposes.

I would never do this setup if it was going to hurt something.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to No Limit Motorsport For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (07-30-2013), whitefrs (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #42
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Limit Motorsport View Post
People have been eliminating these solenoids on cars for years now without issue. They are there for emissions purposes.

I would never do this setup if it was going to hurt something.
I bought it too, waiting to get the tune dialed down to start using it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
No Limit Motorsport (07-30-2013), whitefrs (07-30-2013)

Tags
best company ever, big fuck off turbo, blown, bow chicka wow wow, fbm, full, owners, powaaaaaa!, thread, will work for turbo