follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #99
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 23,921
Thanks: 18,295
Thanked 21,762 Times in 11,955 Posts
Mentioned: 547 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Raged View Post
It's easy for people to make blanket statements about the ND's body roll until they see it wipe the floor with all other stock Twins (and some modified ones as well).
Body roll is not the end of the world as long as it works with you and enhances your experience which is what the goal was with the Miatas. And the way the ND grips and puts the power down is better than my BRZ IMO.

Cole by any chance are you referring to the PITL AutoX series?
It was my buddy in a stock ND2 on RE71R's that won the class championship among other stock MX'5s and Twins.
The Miata's "body roll" can easily "fixed" with a $100 stiffer front anti-sway bar. Back in the NC days, a bar off a RX8 worked just fine.

Plus the Miata's suspension is just set up that way, if it bothered me, I would just tilt my head -


humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:56 PM   #100
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 23,921
Thanks: 18,295
Thanked 21,762 Times in 11,955 Posts
Mentioned: 547 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
............Im not an asshole IRL, despite what my rep is on here




humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:53 PM   #101
N_Raged
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Drives: 2019 BRZ Sport-Tech RS
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 37
Thanks: 4
Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
I am referring to the same guy

Say hi next year, Im in the white FRS with the SARD wing, usually #97. Im not an asshole IRL, despite what my rep is on here
I'm #93 red BRZ.
N_Raged is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N_Raged For This Useful Post:
Cole (10-16-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 02:34 PM   #102
serialk11r
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Drives: 2000 MR2 Spyder
Location: United States of America
Posts: 5,105
Thanks: 255
Thanked 893 Times in 653 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Thought I would put a note in here since I rented an ND on Turo.

The car is hands down better to drive than the FR-S/86/BRZ, by a long shot. The controls are extremely intuitive (I'm looking at you, BRZ clutch), the car responds well, and the build quality is shockingly good. Wind noise is actually not that bad for a rag-top. Gearbox is wonderful and the 2019+ engine update would I imagine put acceleration in a pretty good spot. Ride comfort is a little worse, but it's not bad. To my surprise, I even liked the engine noises. Okay, the infotainment screen is totally useless, but it's easy enough to pretend it's not there and enjoy the rest of the cabin which is fantastic. I really like the short first 3 gears, it makes taking off from 0 less of a chore.

Before driving it I thought the price tag was too steep, but stepping in one, I think it's totally worth it. The whole experience is just so well thought-out and designed.

Unfortunately, I kind of don't fit. With stock seats I can easily touch the roof with my head, and my knees barely clear the steering wheel. Ideally I would want a more reclined position but that would make my knees hit the wheel. It might work if I had an uncushioned seat bolted to the floor, but I don't really like the sound of that.

Last edited by serialk11r; 11-30-2019 at 02:51 PM.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:37 PM   #103
Clutch Dog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Location: CA
Posts: 1,003
Thanks: 723
Thanked 693 Times in 387 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post

Unfortunately, I kind of don't fit. With stock seats I can easily touch the roof with my head, and my knees barely clear the steering wheel. Ideally I would want a more reclined position but that would make my knees hit the wheel. It might work if I had an uncushioned seat bolted to the floor, but I don't really like the sound of that.
This is the reason I dont own one anymore

its too small to live with. If it where an only track car thats one thing. But for me to enjoy on the usual...

Its the same reason i dont have an S2000

the new 86 chassis is the biggest small car i can fit into. and they designed it that way. even the supra is smaller interior space
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:46 PM   #104
serialk11r
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Drives: 2000 MR2 Spyder
Location: United States of America
Posts: 5,105
Thanks: 255
Thanked 893 Times in 653 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
its too small to live with. If it where an only track car thats one thing. But for me to enjoy on the usual...

Its the same reason i dont have an S2000
Wait, the S2000 is a tiny bit bigger though right? I think an inch more headroom would make it a lot better. I'm planning on buying one.

My MR2 Spyders were actually very roomy on the inside by comparison. A little less roomy than a Porsche but I had ample space to sit comfortably while keeping the seat cushion. A Miata with an uncushioned bucket seat would feel more claustrophobic.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:33 PM   #105
Clutch Dog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Location: CA
Posts: 1,003
Thanks: 723
Thanked 693 Times in 387 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Wait, the S2000 is a tiny bit bigger though right? I think an inch more headroom would make it a lot better. I'm planning on buying one.

My MR2 Spyders were actually very roomy on the inside by comparison. A little less roomy than a Porsche but I had ample space to sit comfortably while keeping the seat cushion. A Miata with an uncushioned bucket seat would feel more claustrophobic.
im a .... corn fed type of guy hhahaha

6 foot 4 240 lbs of cast philadelphia iron
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:25 AM   #106
TommyW
Senior Member
 
TommyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: '13 Whiteout
Location: San Clemente
Posts: 512
Thanks: 117
Thanked 373 Times in 205 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The best thing about my Miata is how cute my wife loved driving it. I just couldn’t connect with it
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:52 PM   #107
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ
 
ROFL it's Waffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Drives: 2017 WRX (sold), 2009 Lexus LS460
Location: Planet Erf
Posts: 280
Thanks: 158
Thanked 236 Times in 128 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My legs are too long for the Miata and S2000. The 86 is really the only platform that fits me and checks off the boxes for 6MT, rear drive, lightweight, "room for a car seat", aftermarket parts galore...
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:19 PM   #108
Renault Discordia
Giant Robots and Stuff
 
Renault Discordia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Drives: Oceanic 2019 86 GT (6AT)
Location: NOVA
Posts: 20
Thanks: 7
Thanked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
You know, it's funny, I had a similar thought myself when I was shopping for a first car. I actually never even got behind the wheel of a Miata, though I had heard good things about them and quite liked the way that they looked. Only concern was conflicting reports of people that were "long in the legs, 6'3" and over" having issues fitting in the thing. In the end, when it came down to the wire to choose between an ND and this car, I snapped on the 86 just because I wanted to wear that lineage, and I liked the feel of it. As soon as I got in the car, I was hooked. I just feel connected to it, which I assume is normal.

I personally don't regret my decision, but I might consider a Miata myself again someday. For now, the twins seem to sate my "keep the back seat for esoteric reasons, enough space for me and my stuff, and fun to throw into corners" wishes.

...they both look like angry cats and I actually really like that.
Renault Discordia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:29 PM   #109
Jordanwolf
Rice King
 
Jordanwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Drives: 2019 SEE TEA ARE
Location: The land of the North
Posts: 2,046
Thanks: 621
Thanked 987 Times in 675 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renault Discordia View Post
You know, it's funny, I had a similar thought myself when I was shopping for a first car. I actually never even got behind the wheel of a Miata, though I had heard good things about them and quite liked the way that they looked. Only concern was conflicting reports of people that were "long in the legs, 6'3" and over" having issues fitting in the thing. In the end, when it came down to the wire to choose between an ND and this car, I snapped on the 86 just because I wanted to wear that lineage, and I liked the feel of it. As soon as I got in the car, I was hooked. I just feel connected to it, which I assume is normal.

I personally don't regret my decision, but I might consider a Miata myself again someday. For now, the twins seem to sate my "keep the back seat for esoteric reasons, enough space for me and my stuff, and fun to throw into corners" wishes.

...they both look like angry cats and I actually really like that.

b-b-b-baka!

__________________
I have come to HUG YOU
BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Jordanwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
ElijahF (12-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 05:44 PM   #110
ls1ac
Senior Member
 
ls1ac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Location: Wi/Fl
Posts: 578
Thanks: 147
Thanked 407 Times in 234 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Just to mix it up, look at the Fiat 124. I like the body better than the Miata. It is not as common. The only thing is a Fiat dealer--fix it again Tony.
Drives like a Miata because under her dress it is.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-11-2019), ROFL it's Waffle (12-16-2019)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Miata to BRZ NCtoBRZ Subaru BRZ General Forum 117 03-30-2018 12:28 PM
Miata RF YukiHachiRoku Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 11 04-29-2016 08:42 AM
FRS/BRZ vs. ND Miata donoman FR-S / BRZ vs.... 25 03-25-2016 10:39 AM
New Miata will have 155 HP YukiHachiRoku Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 232 03-22-2015 07:26 AM
Next Gen Miata WingsofWar Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 16 07-08-2011 03:56 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.