follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-10-2019, 01:42 PM   #15
Gloonge
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Drives: 2013 frs raven
Location: W.P.B - Florida
Posts: 22
Thanks: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
For the life of me I can not get the quote system to work here. But..

@ermax you have no idea how close I was to getting rid of the car over that nonsense. It is a pleasure to drive all over again. I am in debt to you.


Since I have your ear (if you come back to this). What is your stance on the valve spring recall? I am of the lucky 25k FRS owners to need it, but with what seems to be nearly 10% of the recalls resulting in complete failure I think I might take my chances.


I'm at nearly 80k miles, idk if its worth it.
Gloonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:38 PM   #16
ermax
Senior Member
 
ermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT Raven
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,202
Thanks: 750
Thanked 1,698 Times in 1,008 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloonge View Post
For the life of me I can not get the quote system to work here. But..

@ermax you have no idea how close I was to getting rid of the car over that nonsense. It is a pleasure to drive all over again. I am in debt to you.


Since I have your ear (if you come back to this). What is your stance on the valve spring recall? I am of the lucky 25k FRS owners to need it, but with what seems to be nearly 10% of the recalls resulting in complete failure I think I might take my chances.


I'm at nearly 80k miles, idk if its worth it.


Iím on the recall list but have no intentions of doing it. I spun a bearing and replaced the short block at 93k and now Iím at 101k miles. Iím also running E85. I feel like if anything goes wrong on the recall they will blame me for the rebuild or E85. If I have a spring failure I will address it then.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Gloonge (06-20-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 10:50 AM   #17
Jvabhi
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Drives: Toyota 86 2013 copper colour, TRD t
Location: Dubai,UAE
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So Basically i had a problem with my car which was making a noise while going over an uneven surface, like i could hear a noise right under the steering wheel.

I finally figured out what the problem was it was the EPS (Electronic power steering motor) thanks to "Ermax" which was broken in small pieces and god was it a pain to get a replacement finally fixed it today.

I left the garage happy and there was no noise at all everything was alright. while driving back home i noticed that there were 2 lights lit up on the dashboard the abs and the traction control lights which says there is a problem. I went back to the garage and what they did was that they unplugged the battery for a minute or so and re plugged it back and the lights went off i left and proceed to go back home.

I was thinking that everything was sorted only to have the dreaded lights turn back on again.

While driving i was frustrated and decided to use the cruise control option and that didn't turn on as well.

Does anyone have a fix to this?

I parked my car and checked if the left and right indicators are working and they are working fine.

I have linked a picture of the faults that are lit on my car's dashboard.

Please help.

https://ibb.co/nBXxJFx
Jvabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jvabhi For This Useful Post:
MJones_RB (06-28-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 02:05 PM   #18
Totmacher
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Drives: 2013 FRS
Location: TN
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is this rattling just an annoyance or is there concern of real failure (like loss of steering while on the road)?
Totmacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:45 PM   #19
ermax
Senior Member
 
ermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT Raven
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,202
Thanks: 750
Thanked 1,698 Times in 1,008 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totmacher View Post
Is this rattling just an annoyance or is there concern of real failure (like loss of steering while on the road)?


Basically there is a motor that connects to a worm gear. Rather than being metal to metal that put a rubber coupler between the to for dampening. Once this rubber falls apart it will be metal to metal with a bunch of slack so it rattles. There isnít a chance of loosing PS though because the motor is still interlocking with the worm gear it just no longer has a damper.

So itís just an annoyance, but a very very big annoyance. It rattles like crazy the longer you go without replacing the coupler.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:55 PM   #20
Jvabhi
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Drives: Toyota 86 2013 copper colour, TRD t
Location: Dubai,UAE
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Basically there is a motor that connects to a worm gear. Rather than being metal to metal that put a rubber coupler between the to for dampening. Once this rubber falls apart it will be metal to metal with a bunch of slack so it rattles. There isnít a chance of loosing PS though because the motor is still interlocking with the worm gear it just no longer has a damper.

So itís just an annoyance, but a very very big annoyance. It rattles like crazy the longer you go without replacing the coupler.


Eyyup Ermax your absoultely correct.

But man after fixing one problem, the 2nd one immediately arises, breaking my head yet again to trouble shoot this new issue. Have you heard of anything like this.

I did check the break lights and everything was fine.

Do you folks think this could be the Issue?

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbX_1Ims8EQ"
Jvabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:08 PM   #21
Gloonge
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Drives: 2013 frs raven
Location: W.P.B - Florida
Posts: 22
Thanks: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvabhi View Post
So Basically i had a problem with my car which was making a noise while going over an uneven surface, like i could hear a noise right under the steering wheel.

I finally figured out what the problem was it was the EPS (Electronic power steering motor) thanks to "Ermax" which was broken in small pieces and god was it a pain to get a replacement finally fixed it today.

I left the garage happy and there was no noise at all everything was alright. while driving back home i noticed that there were 2 lights lit up on the dashboard the abs and the traction control lights which says there is a problem. I went back to the garage and what they did was that they unplugged the battery for a minute or so and re plugged it back and the lights went off i left and proceed to go back home.

I was thinking that everything was sorted only to have the dreaded lights turn back on again.

While driving i was frustrated and decided to use the cruise control option and that didn't turn on as well.

Does anyone have a fix to this?

I parked my car and checked if the left and right indicators are working and they are working fine.

I have linked a picture of the faults that are lit on my car's dashboard.

Please help.

https://ibb.co/nBXxJFx



I had the same issue with mine, but after clearing my codes they never came back on. that is very strange.


I would climb under the dash and see if they left anything noticeable unplugged. In Theory the only thing that could be doing it is the EPS motor, but you would surely notice the last of power steering.


Make sure that your brake lights work, I wonder if leaving the switch un-plugged would cause the abs light even though the switch has nothing to do with it.




Also, cruise control will not work if there are any warning lights illuminated on the dash. It is a fail safe to keep the car from killing you.
Gloonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:11 PM   #22
Gloonge
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Drives: 2013 frs raven
Location: W.P.B - Florida
Posts: 22
Thanks: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvabhi View Post
Eyyup Ermax your absoultely correct.

But man after fixing one problem, the 2nd one immediately arises, breaking my head yet again to trouble shoot this new issue. Have you heard of anything like this.

I did check the break lights and everything was fine.

Do you folks think this could be the Issue?

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbX_1Ims8EQ"



Dang, I didn't see this response until after I replied to your previous post.


If you did not have an issue before the fix it is highly unlikely that your new issue is not related to the current fix.
Gloonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:17 PM   #23
Gloonge
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Drives: 2013 frs raven
Location: W.P.B - Florida
Posts: 22
Thanks: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@ermax


I ended up going for it, considering im completely stock. I got them to give me a written note that it would be covered if their fix killed my motor due to a clogged oil pickup tube.


Got about 120 miles on it since the recall, no funny noises or anything. Hoping for the best.
Gloonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:28 PM   #24
Jvabhi
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Drives: Toyota 86 2013 copper colour, TRD t
Location: Dubai,UAE
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well i wasn't able to fix the issue i got a OBD scanner from Amazon.

Checked error codes if anything and nothing shows up doesn't seem like there is a problem but i have no idea how to delete the error codes.

Also do any of you know how to update the firmware of the Radio head unit ?

Its the stock one without the touch screen having some connection issues with calls on a new phone so i guess its a software issue works fine with my old phone and the new phone works fine in a different car .

sorry guys but this is the best forum where someone takes the initiative to help or actually have answers or suggestions.
Jvabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:29 PM   #25
ermax
Senior Member
 
ermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT Raven
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,202
Thanks: 750
Thanked 1,698 Times in 1,008 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FRS/BRZ EPS Motor Coupler Replacement (Rattle Fix)

Someone PMíd me asking if I ever solved my EPS problem but when I tried to respond they have their PMs disabled. I figured I would mention him in this thread and maybe he will at least get an email notification to draw him to this thread.

Can you hear me @anaelgt86?

Edit: never mind, looks like his PMs are working now.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:16 AM   #26
ermax
Senior Member
 
ermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT Raven
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,202
Thanks: 750
Thanked 1,698 Times in 1,008 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I updated the original post to include a link to the OEM coupler. Toyota doesnít sell this as an individual part for our car but luckily they have other cars which use the exact same coupler so we can order that part. When I first did the fix and wrote this DIY I wasnít aware of this part number. I plan to leave the Hyundai coupler in my car just to see if it out lasts the Toyota coupler.

Thanks to @CK155 for finding this part for us.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
radroach (09-01-2019), T0rt0r0 (09-02-2019), Trap63 (09-01-2019)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is building a motor necessary for FI on this motor? Irace86.2.0 Forced Induction 44 02-27-2018 02:19 PM
Shifter Rattle and Replacement boredom.is.me Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 19 04-27-2015 04:29 PM
Seized motor!! What STX mods should I do while I have the motor out?? BlaineWasHere Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting 27 12-11-2014 03:39 PM
Silicone coupler or similar that is 4" I.D., and 1 inch Thick... (SOLVED) Sportsguy83 Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 11 06-18-2014 11:29 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.