follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #29
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blur View Post
LOL

Subaru's fans are boost addicts. Nothing more.
Don't forget about the hippies and lesbians.
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #30
MrVito
Grumpy Old Man

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S, 2010 Tundra, 80 626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
Uhh... I think this is a little more my speed:
Attachment 3572

I hate to admit it, but these are delicious.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #31
[es vi: eks]

Drives: Subaru Legacy
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bring back group B :p I so enjoyed watching old vids of that.
I like to see a BRZ and a GT86 do some rallying as well as road/track racing.
Drifting has never really interested me.
The only Drifting Ive ever watched and did enjoy was some on TV from Japan.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:00 PM   #32
Dragonitti
Banned

Drives: Boosted Scion tC, 350z
To me...

Subaru (with the STI and WRX) is associated with being "performance" cars competing in rally and what not

and Scion is associated with being a "tuners" car, or having cars you would just customize and taking a bit more of a Grass Roots approach with their racing programs.

Subaru has the GT300 BRZ which is great. It has more appeal in Japan to do so or go that route. But the lot of us can't compete in JGTC or build a GT300 scale car. What's the closest we have to JGTC here in the states? Probably ALMS. I don't think Scions demographic finds ALMS all that exciting or appealing (I do, and the lot of us on here probably do, but speaking from a large scale). Scion demographic probably readily identify more with a Time Attack car, Drift Car...something that is a little more readily available to us. A lot of money is put into their racing programs and they are in ever aspect of motorsports, but it's the ones that you and I can join in and compete. I just don't see the so called "serious" racing to be beneficial or closer to home. It's satisifying enough for me anyway to see them in drifting, time attack, drag and endurance racing. Which they have championships and records in all of them.
Dragonitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #33
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
Just disregard the definitions and focus more on the different approaches the two companies are taking. Scion's approach really hasn't helped them increase their sales or popularity in America. Will things change if they keep doing the same thing? Or should Scion change their approach and do something else?
I think what has hurt them is they take their tC and have a sweet rear wheel drive drift machine and sell it to us as a front wheel drive civic competitor.
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #34
2fast4you

Drives: 2006 Scion tC RS 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by #87 View Post
I think what has hurt them is they take their tC and have a sweet rear wheel drive drift machine and sell it to us as a front wheel drive civic competitor.
I don't think that has made much of a difference. Drifting is such a small niche market, I doubt it has impacted any sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
To me...

Subaru (with the STI and WRX) is associated with being "performance" cars competing in rally and what not

and Scion is associated with being a "tuners" car, or having cars you would just customize and taking a bit more of a Grass Roots approach with their racing programs.

Subaru has the GT300 BRZ which is great. It has more appeal in Japan to do so or go that route. But the lot of us can't compete in JGTC or build a GT300 scale car. What's the closest we have to JGTC here in the states? Probably ALMS. I don't think Scions demographic finds ALMS all that exciting or appealing (I do, and the lot of us on here probably do, but speaking from a large scale). Scion demographic probably readily identify more with a Time Attack car, Drift Car...something that is a little more readily available to us. A lot of money is put into their racing programs and they are in ever aspect of motorsports, but it's the ones that you and I can join in and compete. I just don't see the so called "serious" racing to be beneficial or closer to home. It's satisifying enough for me anyway to see them in drifting, time attack, drag and endurance racing. Which they have championships and records in all of them.
I mostly agree with you Dragonitti. I think ALMS is a little too mature for the average Scion motorsport fan, however, the FR-S may change that as Scion had nothing to race in ALMS. Since Subaru doesn't have a factory motorsports presence outside of Japan, I see Toyota showing that the 86/FR-S can compete on all levels, from club to world-class professional competition.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #35
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
I don't think Scions demographic finds ALMS all that exciting or appealing
It wouldn't really be feasible anyway without a factory turbo'd homologation special. IMSA doesn't allow turbos on cars that came NA from the factory, and the FA just ain't going to cut it in GT racing.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #36
Dragonitti
Banned

Drives: Boosted Scion tC, 350z
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4you View Post
I mostly agree with you Dragonitti. I think ALMS is a little too mature for the average Scion motorsport fan, however, the FR-S may change that as Scion had nothing to race in ALMS. Since Subaru doesn't have a factory motorsports presence outside of Japan, I see Toyota showing that the 86/FR-S can compete on all levels, from club to world-class professional competition.

I do too. I think they will stick to WERC endurance racing and Time Attack (SCCA/NASA) when it comes to road racing. And of course Drifting. People call it all sorts, but stil takes skill to pull off 100mph entry speeds before initiating into a Drift.

Quote:
It wouldn't really be feasible anyway without a factory turbo'd homologation special. IMSA doesn't allow turbos on cars that came NA from the factory, and the FA just ain't going to cut it in GT racing.

I hope someone like Crawford comes out with a built N/A block. I think I will go that route now instad of F/I. If it can squeeze 280whp on a built NA motor...it's going to scream like a banshee. I would go that direction.
Dragonitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #37
2fast4you

Drives: 2006 Scion tC RS 2.0
Quote:
Not at the present, but I see a turbocharged 86/FR-S about 3 model years down the road. As for the FA not cutting it... I don't see why the engine block couldn't hold 450-500 hp, which is the only carry over from the street engine.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #38
Neutral_Eyes
Softparker

Drives: 2002 Mazda Miata
Quote:
Scion's approach really hasn't helped them increase their sales or popularity in America. Will things change if they keep doing the same thing? Or should Scion change their approach and do something else?
I think the problem with their approach to "motorsports" or drifting was that any Joe could not walk into a Scion dealership and leave with something they could drift in. Say what you will about the intelligence of the average drifting fanatic, but even they could tell that their drift tC was a joke.

I think Toyota recognized that they needed to change Scion's marketing approach, and are attempting that with the FR-S. If their approach is to sell rebadged base model Toyotas to lower middle class folks, the least they can do is sell decent cars that people actually want.
Neutral_Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:17 PM   #39
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4you View Post
As for the FA not cutting it... I don't see why the engine block couldn't hold 450-500 hp, which is the only carry over from the street engine.
I am referring to the FA20 as it currently exists.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #40
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Quote:
I hope someone like Crawford comes out with a built N/A block. I think I will go that route now instad of F/I. If it can squeeze 280whp on a built NA motor...it's going to scream like a banshee. I would go that direction.
I would love 280whp (350 crank hp) but it is going to be hella tough on a NA engine. Also plan on $$$ for a engine build of that magnitude. Does Crawford have experience on Subaru NA engines? Didn't see anything for the 2.5RS on their website for engine builds.

Assuming a 8000rpm redline that would be a 350hp/230 ft-lb engine. Even if they increased displacement to 2.5L, that is 92 ft-lb/L. That is unheard of. So I think your goal of NA 280whp engine might be a bit of a dream.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:59 PM   #41
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Assuming a 8000rpm redline ... that is 92 ft-lb/L. That is unheard of..
Which is why you'd need 2.5L and 9000+ rpm.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #42
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Quote:
Which is why you'd need 2.5L and 9000+ rpm.
Yes 9000 rpm would be drool worthy but still hard to pull off.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote