follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #57
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Sweet, another source saying a new Supra in the works.

Quote:
Increasing the engine power too much would bring FR-S into contention with what Tada-san admits will be a new Supra model.
vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #58
Asterisked Accolade
Pedals over Paddles.

Drives: Celica GT-S | 89 Supra | 07' Accent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
This article has me very excited. I love the aero kit, and i love the other additions. Also, i'm very relieved that the FRS is doing so well all over the world. However, was i the only one who was agasp when they said it looked generic? I think it looks very exotic and special! I can't think of any other $24k cars which look so fresh and sporty.

2002 Celica GT-S Track Car | 1989 Supra Track Car | 2007 Hyundai Accent AutoX | 2003 Cadillac CTS Daily
Asterisked Accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #59
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
We still can't get a spoiler or foglights as an option on the FRS, don't hold your breath on all this other stuff
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
Saber_TRD (11-14-2012), Tanuki (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 12:52 AM   #60
koyv90
Rocket Bunny FRS

Drives: 2013 Rocket Bunny FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
awesome? so the frs is going to come with aero kits?
koyv90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #61
adprokid

Drives: ZN6 / GDB-G
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I just bought the damn car, and i would be upset if the 2014 model is 200lb lighter
adprokid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to adprokid For This Useful Post:
Muaddib (06-29-2013)
Old 11-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #62
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST185RC View Post
If they suddently made the 2014 10x better, they will have a huge disgruntled first year buyer base and would cause PR to go apeshit.
... Not kick dirt in the faces of early adopters.

Right cuz Subaru has never released a highly anticipated performance model (2008 WRX), then turned around the very next year and buttsurfed the early adopters by releasing an updated version that was 10x better, with more power and upgraded suspension (2009 WRX).
Old 11-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #63
Supermassive

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Garage
Lot's of things in this thread are hilarious. Like them saying adding a turbo to the car would "drastically" raise the CG...really? All of the turbo kits out there are using relatively small turbos, not to mention the kits that mount the turbos at the bottom of the engine like AP. In the kits like P&L the weight above the engine is literally just the weight of the turbo and a bit of IC piping. Toyota is copping out here.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the new Supra will be marketed as competition to the Nissan GT-R and will likely be in the $80k-100k range. The new Celica or MR-2 whichever Toyota decides on will fill the gap between the FR-S/GT86 and the Supra and will likely be priced similarly to the 370Z/G37. I hope I am wrong about the Supra's price but Toyota needs a real halo car, the LFA was neat but too exotic and too expensive...especially when, for the same price, you can get much better exotics...with Italian names like Ferrari and Lamborghini.

Last thing i have to say is, for anyone worried that you are getting the smelly end of the stick in this deal with Toyota already planning a better car for next year...this should be common sense by now, when you buy anything, within a year there will be something better.
Supermassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #64
nonicname
Banned

Drives: it has 4 wheels and a motor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST185RC View Post
There's no tragedy that deems a necessary rush to attract more appeal to the car by adding all the bells and whistles to the car. Leave that for the Civic with Honda's emergency refresh to replace their 2012 civic failure.

The car has enough demand and long enough of a waitlist that they don't really need to do much to the car to attract more attention to it. If they suddently made the 2014 10x better, they will have a huge disgruntled first year buyer base and would cause PR to go apeshit.
Subaru did it with the 08 WRX junk, apple does it with their iphones, a lot of companies do it. It simply happens to the inpatient. Same people that pay a lot of extra money just because they want to be the first ones with the new toy. those who got the new models were guinea pigs. those had to deal with ECU problems, mechanical issues etc. Toyota/Subaru quickly learned that this car is slow and it needs to be faster so now they are taking weight off and adding power.

I'm glad I waited to see what happened to this car. I will wait and buy this car at invoice price cuz I will NEVER pay msrp.

moral of the story... just wait.
nonicname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #65
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonicname View Post
Subaru did it with the 08 WRX junk, apple does it with their iphones, a lot of companies do it. It simply happens to the inpatient. Same people that pay a lot of extra money just because they want to be the first ones with the new toy. those who got the new models were guinea pigs. those had to deal with ECU problems, mechanical issues etc. Toyota/Subaru quickly learned that this car is slow and it needs to be faster so now they are taking weight off and adding power.

I'm glad I waited to see what happened to this car. I will wait and buy this car at invoice price cuz I will NEVER pay msrp.

moral of the story... just wait.
Enjoy waiting...and waiting...and waiting.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #66
srt4evah
Initial G

Drives: 13 FR-S, 15 BMW 228i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraLove View Post
Pretty much everything in this article is untrue. The author's even worse than Romney.

There is NO engineering prototype for 2014. The FR-S will stay the same for at least 5 years, maybe more. Tada-san was talking about options and upgrades to the standard FR-S. He was saying that the car was capable of losing 220lbs without much modification. It's all lies. Why would they replace the satnav with TRD gauges on the standard FR-S? The author is an absolutely clueless moron who doesn't know what he's talking about.

/rant

/thread
You're just speculating, but the article could very easily be factual and honest.

An engineering model does not mean it's a whole new car, just a development car because it is meant to test out new parts, like the article points out. They're prototyping the add-ons, not the base vehicle.

He did NOT say anything about losing 220lbs "without much modification", only that he would like to lose about that much. The article says nothing about how that would be done, or that it is even likely to happen, only that Tada-san would "like to" do that.

There's nothing suspicious or hard to believe in the article at all, just talk about some parts they're developing for the next year's model. Look at how Nissan develops the GT-R year after year, even Subaru does pretty rapid updates to their WRX and STI every couple of years.
srt4evah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #67
SupraLove
Banned

Drives: 2007 Toyota Camry LE, 5AT i4
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4evah View Post
You're just speculating, but the article could very easily be factual and honest.

An engineering model does not mean it's a whole new car, just a development car because it is meant to test out new parts, like the article points out. They're prototyping the add-ons, not the base vehicle.

He did NOT say anything about losing 220lbs "without much modification", only that he would like to lose about that much. The article says nothing about how that would be done, or that it is even likely to happen, only that Tada-san would "like to" do that.

There's nothing suspicious or hard to believe in the article at all, just talk about some parts they're developing for the next year's model. Look at how Nissan develops the GT-R year after year, even Subaru does pretty rapid updates to their WRX and STI every couple of years.
Of course there's no doubt in any of what you said, but the article is written in a way that insinuates that the prototypes themselves are the 2014 FR-Ss, and it makes you think that the 2014 model will come standard with the Nur wing and bodykit, when it's just a new factory package and tire upgrade, and the standard FR-S will be unchanged. Many of the forum members were also mislead by this.
SupraLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #68
srt4evah
Initial G

Drives: 13 FR-S, 15 BMW 228i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraLove View Post
Of course there's no doubt in any of what you said, but the article is written in a way that insinuates that the prototypes themselves are the 2014 FR-Ss, and it makes you think that the 2014 model will come standard with the Nur wing and bodykit, when it's just a new factory package and tire upgrade, and the standard FR-S will be unchanged. Many of the forum members were also mislead by this.
Sure, at first glance I even wondered what the heck they meant by 2014 prototype engineering model. But if you read it, you understand that it's testing out the new suspension, chassis reinforcements, rims and tires, etc.

I don't think it hints at it being standard, just that they want to be able to offer parts as a factory option versus TRD aftermarket, because they can offer them much cheaper that way than through TRD.
srt4evah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to srt4evah For This Useful Post:
Tanuki (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #69
Jeff86

Drives: 86 (FR-S)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Enjoy waiting...and waiting...and waiting.
+1

I've enjoyed every moment of being an early adopter... from the joy of driving it to the fun of all the attention people give the car. Sure, just wait until all the hype and fun dies down and the car becomes more typical before you buy one.
Jeff86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #70
Saber_TRD

Drives: '09 Cobalt SS Turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff86 View Post
+1

I've enjoyed every moment of being an early adopter... from the joy of driving it to the fun of all the attention people give the car. Sure, just wait until all the hype and fun dies down and the car becomes more typical before you buy one.
If you bought a car so you could have more attention, I feel sorry for you.

I know you said "...from the joy of driving it to..." but you gave more emphasis to the attention you have gained from it and even made a jab at the fun dying down due to it becoming more common. That's just sad, in my books.