follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-28-2017, 01:26 PM   #43
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
What makes this car so good is the performance at a really good price. The prices on these special additions for mostly cosmetic stuff take the car into a higher league of cars. Sure if you mod yourself you could spend as much, but then you get the fun of modding at least. Plus you would get wheels you really want.

And don't think these things will be collector cars.
Lol, I'll take a '13 with springs, tires, camber bolts, brake pads and fluids any day of the week for $15k less than this thing, I'll be able to pound around the track all day in it while this thing gets sidelined in the first session with fried brakes.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 01:29 PM   #44
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post

Some people here are forgetting to qualify their statements. Yes, anything is possible IF, you have the cash!

However, many do no and will have to finance their purchases. In my case, I wished to keep adding to my RRSP funds not remove $40 grand worth. So borrowing at 0.9% was going to be a much better choice.

(Long story short, I owned an Inazuma for about three days but never took delivery. I had to back out because my employer of 34 years downsized me right out the door. Yep, sux to be me)
And not everybody has the space, tools and equipment to do their own work. Even something as simple as swapping an exhaust can be a major pain in the ass for an apartment dweller.
There is also the benefit of having a full warranty on all the parts on the car which can be important to some.
The list of reasons to buy a new already built car can get long fast when all possible scenarios are looked at.
Stephen W. (06-28-2017), strat61caster (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 01:59 PM   #45
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,444 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
<snip>
The list of reasons to buy a new already built car can get long fast when all possible scenarios are looked at.

Agreed!
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 02:03 PM   #46
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Lol, I'll take a '13 with springs, tires, camber bolts, brake pads and fluids any day of the week for $15k less than this thing, I'll be able to pound around the track all day in it while this thing gets sidelined in the first session with fried brakes.

Not sure what point you're trying to prove here. ANY sports car sold today needs to swap out street pads for track pads before attending a track day. That goes for a base FRS or a $150k 911 GT3.
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 02:09 PM   #47
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Not sure what point you're trying to prove here. ANY sports car sold today needs to swap out street pads for track pads before attending a track day. That goes for a base FRS or a $150k 911 GT3.
He said this:
Quote:
What makes this car so good is the performance at a really good price.
Which imho is grossly false, there is almost no performance benefit to this $32k+ machine over it's $26k base model, without even accounting for the used market.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-28-2017), Veloist (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 02:37 PM   #48
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Body kits, wings, etc. on a car not faster than the base model look like icing without the cake to me. Not interested.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:03 PM   #49
Side

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
It technically counts as stock for the purpose of autocross. I'm wondering if it will be CS like the performance package or not.
Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:21 PM   #50
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
I like it & I'm not even gonna track mine when I get it.

If I were to track an FR-S/BRZ (and I most likely will in the near future) there's no way I would track this...especially, like mentioned, you can start on something literally half the price and build your way up, and get more performance. Even with a $17k-18k 2013 FR-S/BRZ with 20k-30k miles you're still below $20k after taxes and fees--giving you a whopping $13k-$16k you CAN spend on mods.

And that returns us to the topic as to why the car is a Limited Release at only 500 units. It doesn't really take a genius to figure that the tS fits in with the rest of the Special Edition cars (Series.Blue, Series.HyperBlue, Series.Yellow).

If you look at the sales numbers you can ballpark the percentage that BRZ Special Editions take up for sales--usually less than 15% of total annual sales. Series.Blue was like 13% (1000/7500 units) and Series.HyperBlue was 9-10% (500/5300 units). The actual percentage may even be lower since assuming not all units were sold in the same calendar year.

The tS is a great way for Subaru to push out those 500 extra units a year, but it's just as track-ready as the BRZ Performance Package.

Most of what you get is bling, and Subaru knows that around only 10% of BRZ customers (that includes me) will appreciate that and the exclusiveness of having a "limited-production" car. If you don't, well then congratulations on being a part of the 90% of BRZ customers who don't care.

As for me, I appreciate the BRZ so much that I know when I'm older (like 50 years old) I'm gonna say "I really wish I had a clean BRZ in my garage" and for me, the tS seems like the right car to fulfill that feeling with.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:30 PM   #51
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
that's the problem though, we have no idea what the car will really include. If it includes all the STI goodies like on the 2013 tS from Japan it will be worth it. If it just includes a couple of things we can already buy, but no difference in chassis, then not so much.
From what I've read and from others account seeing the car, it looks like the v-bars, draw stiffener, and retuned sachs dampers only. It really looks like it doesn't even include the lowering pink springs (which you can tell by looking at the height of the car from all the photos taken of it).

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DSOmegaX For This Useful Post:
why? (06-29-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 10:27 PM   #52
Vides990

Drives: 13 BRZ (sold) 20 BRZ TS (sold)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
From what I've read and from others account seeing the car, it looks like the v-bars, draw stiffener, and retuned sachs dampers only. It really looks like it doesn't even include the lowering pink springs (which you can tell by looking at the height of the car from all the photos taken of it).
I'll say this, you're allowed to talk down on the car because you probably have one of the cleanest/best/ modded Brz/Frs's out there but seeing other "special editions" talk shit about it after hyping their vehicles as something other then some makeup added on is hilarious on a wide range of levels. The Ts isn't overly special in the grand scheme of things but after all the "minor improvements" this does finally seem to offer a pretty large quantity of stuff over your 1st/2nd yr models; at this point its by far the best edition to come to the states and probably won't be topped.
Vides990 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vides990 For This Useful Post:
Veloist (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 10:49 PM   #53
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vides990 View Post
The Ts isn't overly special in the grand scheme of things but after all the "minor improvements" this does finally seem to offer a pretty large quantity of stuff over your 1st/2nd yr models; at this point its by far the best edition to come to the states and probably won't be topped.
I still think Subaru and Toyota leave a lot on the table when it comes to Special Edition cars. I look at other brands like Nissan for example (who has the NISMO 370z) and also special edition cars offered in Japan or Europe and it makes you think, WTH is wrong with North America that they can't bring that over here??

So I agree with your last statement how it is so far the best even though it's missing so much--like the authentic Recaro Seats <3 (those would've been the cherry on the top).

Since the Release Series 1.0 FR-S I've always waited for something to top that, and it took like uhh 5 editions to finally get something that you'd think would be exclusive to Japan.

The only thing that can top this IMO (and I'm being serious) is if they significantly increase the power and torque (by at least 15%) if they make a 2nd generation, and make a tS version of that complete with Recaros and a lower ride height. But chances are for the 1st Generation BRZ/86 this is as good as it will get.

One more note is Toyota has been flopping with their Special Editions. They trademarked GRMN so it's possible we could see a GRMN-tuned 86. I think releasing something like that would be a perfect way to send off the MK1 Twins if the car is done right
Old 06-28-2017, 10:50 PM   #54
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
At least it would still save some time and money trying to bring it back to full JDM specs. They gotta water it down to offset the shipping and other associated costs to bring it over here I guess.

Then again it seems like Nissan is doing a much better job with their Nismo trims here? They seem to be so equipped.

BTW what happened to the STI Bear this season? I was hoping for one with a firefighter outfit lmao!
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:58 PM   #55
Vides990

Drives: 13 BRZ (sold) 20 BRZ TS (sold)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
I still think Subaru and Toyota leave a lot on the table when it comes to Special Edition cars. I look at other brands like Nissan for example (who has the NISMO 370z) and also special edition cars offered in Japan or Europe and it makes you think, WTH is wrong with North America that they can't bring that over here??

So I agree with your last statement how it is so far the best even though it's missing so much--like the authentic Recaro Seats <3 (those would've been the cherry on the top).

Since the Release Series 1.0 FR-S I've always waited for something to top that, and it took like uhh 5 editions to finally get something that you'd think would be exclusive to Japan.

The only thing that can top this IMO (and I'm being serious) is if they significantly increase the power and torque (by at least 15%) if they make a 2nd generation, and make a tS version of that complete with Recaros and a lower ride height. But chances are for the 1st Generation BRZ/86 this is as good as it will get.

One more note is Toyota has been flopping with their Special Editions. They trademarked GRMN so it's possible we could see a GRMN-tuned 86. I think releasing something like that would be a perfect way to send off the MK1 Twins if the car is done right
Yup I agree that Subaru/Toyota doesn't do what Nissan does, thing is with the way they market and brand they don't have to do that to differentiate, Nissan does. They're safer companies.

Agreed, the recaros should certainly be there, and honestly with enough internet complaining I'm holding out hope lol.

I've seen the 1.0 and 2.0 series as the best special editions so far so I agree with you there and a GRMN version certainly would be one way to send it off. I kind of think the 2nd gen is either going to be a pretty solid let down because of where its going marketing wise/the developers moving on or it dies with Toyota/Subaru splitting it off somehow.
Vides990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:06 PM   #56
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Only 500 BRZ tS's will be manufactured for the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
At least it would still save some time and money trying to bring it back to full JDM specs. They gotta water it down to offset the shipping and other associated costs to bring it over here I guess.

Then again it seems like Nissan is doing a much better job with their Nismo trims here? They seem to be so equipped.

BTW what happened to the STI Bear this season? I was hoping for one with a firefighter outfit lmao!

But those STi storage crates though!

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DSOmegaX For This Useful Post:
krayzie (06-28-2017)