follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #71
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,244 Times in 672 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
That kind of weight reduction will only show up on a stopwatch at the dragstrip or autoX or road course, and only with a consistent driver. You will NEVER notice the change in performance on the street. Enjoy the car, forget about spending time/money/effort and making the car more of a PITA for a performance change you won't be able to feel.
I can easily tell a difference in that much weight difference for such a light car. Not everyone can, but even on the street I can. Just because you cannot don't think that applies to everyone.
I like what the OP has done. I wouldn't do everything he has, but certainly appreciate his approach to improving performance.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:22 PM   #72
Celadrielas

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Fr-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Maybe I am a bit more assertive on the roads than I need to be. I can very easily tell I have a passanger in the vehicle (in weight) because when I am turning, Emi feels different. Now, could I tell if I had a book in the back? Only because I hear that bitch slide around the trunk. the 3 lbs isn't noticed, but the 190 I feel with my Sig other is easily noticed.

But I am also the kind of guy who hates certain tires because of how they feel doing X, and though I want the exhaust and stuff, I don't buy it because I have other things in life I *need* vs those wants.

I cut & modded my snorkle, did a CAI, and am on 225/45 tires. Really, that's about it for now.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:07 PM   #73
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,943 Times in 1,260 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
Maybe,but probably not. People aren't adding weight when they change spring rate.

This is what the factory does. They even change the springs on the rear(different part number) based on whether the car has a spare tire or not. I'm not sure what is the difference, but they should do it for a reason.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:25 PM   #74
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
This is what the factory does. They even change the springs on the rear(different part number) based on whether the car has a spare tire or not. I'm not sure what is the difference, but they should do it for a reason.
They don't sell TRD springs with 150 lbs of sand bags though. If we are really concerned with the factory stuff, we aren't really trying to reduce weight.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:53 AM   #75
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,943 Times in 1,260 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
They don't sell TRD springs with 150 lbs of sand bags though. If we are really concerned with the factory stuff, we aren't really trying to reduce weight.

TRD springs also have different heights. STI has similar springs for JDM cars, but they are not compatible with all the BRZ models. I think the issue is with the change of the front vs. rear car height and the change of the aerodynamics under extreme loading conditions.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:15 AM   #76
phobos512

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronjones239 View Post
2750lbs stock weight + 150lbs driver = 170hp/2900lbs = 17.058
2612 + 150lbs = 170hp/2762lbs = 16.247

2900/16.247 = 178.449
So taking out 130lbs of the 2900lbs car, we would have to add 8.449hp to get the same thing without removing the weight. Correct me if I'm wrong.
In terms of seat of the pants feel, it would be equivalent to adding a drop in filter, maybe cai at most in my opinion. I feel the difference removing the spare tire, removing a passenger I can definitely feel.
From a pure power to weight ratio perspective, sure, but that doesn't take into account driving dynamics, which is really the bigger point here. Adding power doesn't make the car stop better, turn better, have better cornering stability, put less stress on the chassis...
Old 12-31-2014, 10:11 AM   #77
cameronjones239

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series Blue
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Correct, just on paper as a comparison in terms of feel under straight line acceleration for the average person. If a guy can't feel the difference in losing a passenger and loss of a little acceleration, I doubt he'll have enough feel to notice the change in handling.
cameronjones239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:20 AM   #78
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
"...I plan on keeping my stock wheels and tires for the time being"...

Not to burst your bubble, but the main thing that you are planning NOT to do is the first thing that you SHOULD do. It defies logic.

From a budget stadpoint, new rims and tires are going to be cheaper than the rest that laundry list of minute and expensive changes.

From a performance standpoint, you are getting rid of rotational and unsprung mass. By far the most critical areas to address during any automotive diet plan.

By keeping the stock tires you are nulling ALL of your efforts. The tire is what keeps you stuck to the ground and nothing else is going to make as much difference to staying stuck to the ground as good sticky tires. The factory tires are abysmal when it comes to traction. Entertaining as hell if you like to slide around at low speed, but not what you ever want for performance.

So, save your money, buy tires, rims and good brakepads that wont fade, and enjoy the car as it was built.

Edit:

By the way, keep in mind that whatever you achieve will only come into play once your are driving at about 9/10 of the cars potential. Most people are not wild about sharing a road with someone pushing that hard.

Last edited by NOHOME; 12-31-2014 at 11:30 AM.
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NOHOME For This Useful Post:
cameronjones239 (12-31-2014)
Old 12-31-2014, 12:16 PM   #79
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,244 Times in 672 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
I certainly agree with you. That said, after he finishes up with all of these other mods, just think how big the smile on his face will be when he steps up to appropriate running gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHOME View Post

Not to burst your bubble, but the main thing that you are planning NOT to do is the first thing that you SHOULD do. It defies logic.

From a budget stadpoint, new rims and tires are going to be cheaper than the rest that laundry list of minute and expensive changes.

From a performance standpoint, you are getting rid of rotational and unsprung mass. By far the most critical areas to address during any automotive diet plan.

By keeping the stock tires you are nulling ALL of your efforts. The tire is what keeps you stuck to the ground and nothing else is going to make as much difference to staying stuck to the ground as good sticky tires. The factory tires are abysmal when it comes to traction. Entertaining as hell if you like to slide around at low speed, but not what you ever want for performance.

So, save your money, buy tires, rims and good brakepads that wont fade, and enjoy the car as it was built.

Edit:

By the way, keep in mind that whatever you achieve will only come into play once your are driving at about 9/10 of the cars potential. Most people are not wild about sharing a road with someone pushing that hard.

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:07 PM   #80
ST185RC

Drives: White Out FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I took out 35lbs of stock trunk stuff to hoon around and I immediately felt a difference in the way the car feels when taking a corner. Having a quarter tank of gas left ( around 50lbs of fuel gone) and the difference is even more pronounced vs a fully fuelled and loaded stock FR-S.

It's basically shifting the weight bias to the front and in this configuration vs stock, it's even more prone to oversteer. Even with normal driving, negotiating a bend in the road at 50-60Km/h the rear is noticably more reactive than when loaded with a spare, tools and fuel.

I don't know how a person wouldn't notice an extra 50lbs of fuel in the back gone. Yes, it's low to the ground and not the same as putting an ikea cabinet in the trunk, but seriously, my friend's S4 felt different when I drove it to pick up a 55lb ikea dresser to put in the trunk of his car and it laid flat just a few inches above the tank.

What I know for sure didn't feel like anything was taking out the 4lbs worth of manuals and guides from the glovebox. But i guess in the world of physics:

ST185RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:35 PM   #81
phobos512

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronjones239 View Post
Correct, just on paper as a comparison in terms of feel under straight line acceleration for the average person. If a guy can't feel the difference in losing a passenger and loss of a little acceleration, I doubt he'll have enough feel to notice the change in handling.
Yeah, you're right about that. I definitely notice the difference when I am by myself. And I very definitely noticed the difference when I removed the stock setback too. I wouldn't say I noticed as much when I removed the stock battery but I did notice a difference after the STB.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:38 PM   #82
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,469 Times in 4,992 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHOME View Post

This is of course assuming that the OP is at a level of driving that exceeds the limits of the OEM tire.

For >95% of owners that is simply not the case. IMO it's a good idea to run the stock rubber into the ground before replacing it (that's definitely more poundsmart than immediately binning them).

But yes, money on weight reduction vs. money on upgrading the OEM rubber, the rubber will have more performance/$ than any weight reduction that needs to be paid for.

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (03-22-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 09:47 AM   #83
Felix7007

Drives: Scion FR-S Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Uh 2.8lbs for the owners manual? so ditching it. The autocrosses I've been to the FR-S guys take out their spare in the parking lot. Personally, I don't drive with the spare and tools because the jack wont fit under my car any way since it's lowered.
Felix7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:34 PM   #84
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I still laugh that people pull their spare out at AutoX. Considering its location, all you're doing is making the car more front biased.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote