follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #71
skoodge
Addicted to cars

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dori. View Post
umm... yes I did. I took an extreme u-turn in the wet and the traction control kicked in.

as a matter of fact, if you watch one of the BMI races where Orido drives the 86, he complains about the tc being intrusive even when he turned the TC "off".

What his team ended up doing was removing the fuse for the TCS (which also unfortunately disabled the ABS).

So my question still stands.
Make sure you rev high. Even with traction control off it will kick back on if it detects you losing traction at low rpm's. The car thinks you're not meaning to do it so it kicks it back in. Rev it high and it won't kick in and will let you lose traction. I've noticed this in my car a few times, typically around 2-3.5k rpm is when this will happen.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #72
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 636 View Post
Your car must be broken...or mine. I've done donuts/U-Turns in the rain, and NEVER had any traction control kick in to help me. When it says it's off...it's off for me.
My first big rain I took my car to an abandoned lot and took everything off. The first attempt to get a light slide on it didn't do much, so for the second try I popped the gas and turned in harder to get the end out, and wound up doing almost a full 720.

There was no TC assist.
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #73
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Inspired by posts in this thread (and others):

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=476788
Old 10-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #74
dori.
Seņor Member

Drives: white BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah, I'm almost positive you just "pressed" the button. HOLD IT, until two lights turn on, Traction OFF, and the slip icon will stay on.

If you don't hold it, traction control will AUTOMATICALLY turn back on at wheel speeds over 30mph, which is more than capable in a second in the wet while sliding.
I've had the car for almost 2 months now, and I've disabled the nannies totally numerous times. Please stop insisting that I don't know what I'm talking about. Do I have to make a video to prove a point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoodge View Post
Make sure you rev high. Even with traction control off it will kick back on if it detects you losing traction at low rpm's. The car thinks you're not meaning to do it so it kicks it back in. Rev it high and it won't kick in and will let you lose traction. I've noticed this in my car a few times, typically around 2-3.5k rpm is when this will happen.
okay, that sounds more like it. I didn't really rev it up high when I did it.
dori. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #75
DespaiRepair

Drives: white 2013 Scion FR-S
Garage
This car is great fun, and while it's not nearly as dangerous as my 400+hp s13 240 was, it is very easy to get this car to oversteer, a lot of people say they gun it in 1st and crank the wheel and nothing happens, but what they may not be accounting for is road quality. Yeah it's raining, are you on a newer road? Older road? Frequently travelled road? All I'm trying to say is just because it "sort-of" drifts at WOT in a parking lot doesn't mean it's going to react the same way on your ride home. I've hit slick spots with TCS off at 20 mph in 4th gear at 1/4 throttle and gotten super sideways. I've got alot of rwd experience under my belt and can gaurantee that this car will have no problem f-ing you up if you're not paying attention. So please, everybody drive these within your ability, i like all the money i save on insurance now, and it will really ruin my day to see somebody get hurt in one of these. Have fun, practice in BIG empty parking lots, practice at autoX events, don't run this thing right out of the showroom and into a pole because you "thought" you were bigtime Dorifto King. Be humble for chrissakes...
DespaiRepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DespaiRepair For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (04-13-2013)
Old 10-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #76
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I am in the camp of WTF happened when I had the Nannie go form what I thought was full OFF to full ON mid maneuver. And yes I did know that it had to be held for 5 seconds.

If it is an intermittent issue, it will be there forever since opportunities to recreate for the dealer will involve some form of hijinks and even then it may not occur. Not fun having a critical system that you cant put full faith in.
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #77
Obja

Drives: Raven FRS/c5 Corvette
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Aweeeeeeeeeeee we're one giant family <3 <3 <3
Obja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:10 AM   #78
MY13FRS
***** Super Senior Member

Drives: 13 FRS
Glad no one got hurt.

However, I find this car to be pretty safe to boot around. Coming from older cars with more power and less fancy nanny features, I say it's pretty safe and predictable as they come.

People might want to grab some old beater that's more prone to over steer, with less fancy nannies and learn how to drive near the limit. Don't let the nannies give you a false sense of security, instead enhance your driving skills.
MY13FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MY13FRS For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (04-13-2013)
Old 04-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #79
ThugNasty

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I just want to post this up as a warning for everyone who currently has one, and was getting curious as to what it feels like with the TCS off in the rain,
Unfortunately I learned this the hard way. Very recently.
My baby needs a pretty good amount of suspension and body work now. Not to mention my reckless driving ticket. I'm sure my insurance company will be happy...

It's just so fun to get this car sideways. Gotta be careful with the nannies off in the rain though or it'll get away from you.

ThugNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #80
shawnperolis

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S MT "Panda"
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateatsrabbits View Post
Fuck traction control, I am a man and will drive my car. Not have some computer mess it all up. The only time I leave it on is a 6:30 in the AM while I'm driving to work still half asleep and its raining. Heres a few tips, don't speed in the rain, never get air(jump) in a rwd, learn your lessons, and don't shove your ideas down other people throats. Op glad your Ok, whats a chick doing driving a 3Z?
Wow, you sound like a sexist ass. Compensating for anything, buddy? Chicks can't drive sports cars and you are a super manly man who don't need no traction control?

Last edited by shawnperolis; 04-13-2013 at 02:20 PM.
shawnperolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #81
jstans84
Banned

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I thought people crashed because of Newton's first law of motion.

1. An object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an outside force.
Meaning, that their car will keep going until something stops it, in the case of a crash it is typically another car, wall, animal, tree, dinosaur, telephone pole, street sign, potato, building, bridge, gate, fence, etc.
jstans84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #82
TheEradicator

Drives: Scion FR-S (Raven)
So basically what you learned was driving 90 mph in the rain (or on wet roads) with the safety features off is a bad idea and all you needed was a near catastrophe for this to make sense. (Golf clap)
TheEradicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #83
TheEradicator

Drives: Scion FR-S (Raven)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateatsrabbits View Post
Fuck traction control, I am a man and will drive my car. Not have some computer mess it all up. The only time I leave it on is a 6:30 in the AM while I'm driving to work still half asleep and its raining. Heres a few tips, don't speed in the rain, never get air(jump) in a rwd, learn your lessons, and don't shove your ideas down other people throats. Op glad your Ok, whats a chick doing driving a 3Z?

If you're a real man, then you would pull the fuse to disable all the safety controls.

Also what happens when you're in total control of your car and something unexpected happens like a kid in the road and you swerve to miss, but since your nannies are off you fishtail more than you would with the nannies on and you crash into something or someone else?

I guess what I'm saying is you can't predict what going to happen while driving on the public roads and you're an idiot for thinking you can control your car better with the safety off.
TheEradicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #84
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
OP's post should be required reading for noobs...let's face it, only half of the people on here can probably drive really well...the rest of us...welll
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
Demandred7 (05-26-2013)