follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-19-2016, 02:40 PM   #1
shellslinger

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
OFT Stage 2 UEL Help. Rough Idle Stalling

Hello All,

I am currently having issues with my car after the tune. I went to go flash to stage 2 UEL. I followed all the steps and let the car idle for 45 seconds. I went for a drive and experienced a lot of stalling and hesitation. After I came back from my drive, I pulled in and decided to park it. I then started up the car again and it will not idle.

I then flashed back to original file and tried to start the car again. The car still wont idle and does not show up any check engine lights. I disconnected the battery waited a few minutes and tried to start the car again. The will still not idle.

Can anyone help out?

Thanks
shellslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 03:23 PM   #2
shellslinger

Update:

I just flashed back to the stock tune. At first I was still experiencing rough idling and stalling. I let the car sit for a few minutes and everything back to normal.

Still can't figure out what I did wrong with the stage 2 flash.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:40 PM   #3
phrosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
A few things to check before thinking something is broken:
  • 45sec is actually just a ballpark. Turn on VVT Exhaust in the logging and wait for it to start reading values. I've had this take over 1 minute before depending on temperature.
  • "Dead pedal" is pretty common right after a flash, and seems to last longer on a cold car. If you aren't expecting it, it can feel like the car is about to stall out every time you put your foot down. This gradually goes away with 15-30min of driving as sensors calibrate.
  • You do have a catless UEL, right? That's what is needed for Stage 2.
2013 Whiteout 6AT FR-S | Perrin Inlet Tube + 2.75" CAI | OpenFlash Header | P&L Catback | 4.88 Final Drive | Dialed in OFT 2.0x Stage 2 E85 | 18x8 Enkei Raijin + 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | 17x7 Stock + 215/45 Michelin X-Ice Xi-2
phrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phrosty For This Useful Post:
shellslinger (06-19-2016), Teseo (02-23-2017)
Old 06-19-2016, 03:52 PM   #4
shellslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrosty View Post
A few things to check before thinking something is broken:
  • 45sec is actually just a ballpark. Turn on VVT Exhaust in the logging and wait for it to start reading values. I've had this take over 1 minute before depending on temperature.
  • "Dead pedal" is pretty common right after a flash, and seems to last longer on a cold car. If you aren't expecting it, it can feel like the car is about to stall out every time you put your foot down. This gradually goes away with 15-30min of driving as sensors calibrate.
  • You do have a catless UEL, right? That's what is needed for Stage 2.
Thanks for the advice. I'll try this out next weekend. Yeah I did experience dead pedal and it was really hard to drive.

And yes I have a catless UEL.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:12 PM   #5
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellslinger View Post
Hello All,

I am currently having issues with my car after the tune. I went to go flash to stage 2 UEL. I followed all the steps and let the car idle for 45 seconds. I went for a drive and experienced a lot of stalling and hesitation. After I came back from my drive, I pulled in and decided to park it. I then started up the car again and it will not idle.

I then flashed back to original file and tried to start the car again. The car still wont idle and does not show up any check engine lights. I disconnected the battery waited a few minutes and tried to start the car again. The will still not idle.

Can anyone help out?

Thanks

so you would have installed the header just before flashing the tune.

If so id say you have an exhaust air leak (hopefully you used new gaskets. Or the 02 sensors are damaged or not inatalled correctly
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
shellslinger (06-19-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 05:58 PM   #6
shellslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
so you would have installed the header just before flashing the tune.

If so id say you have an exhaust air leak (hopefully you used new gaskets. Or the 02 sensors are damaged or not inatalled correctly
Hey Steve,

I had installed the header awhile back just finally got to around tuning it. I'd say I would around 1-2k miles on the UEL without tune. I'll check for exhaust leaks. I did use new gaskets as well. Torqued all bolts down to 22 ft lbs.

After flashing back to stock tune and letting the car sit for 10 - 20 minutes, everything is back to normal. Can't figure out what I did wrong.

Thanks for your input!
Old 06-19-2016, 06:07 PM   #7
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey Steve,

I had installed the header awhile back just finally got to around tuning it. I'd say I would around 1-2k miles on the UEL without tune. I'll check for exhaust leaks. I did use new gaskets as well. Torqued all bolts down to 22 ft lbs.

After flashing back to stock tune and letting the car sit for 10 - 20 minutes, everything is back to normal. Can't figure out what I did wrong.

Thanks for your input!

If it works ok on the stock tune then its likely the hardware is ok.

but take some logs on stock tune
AFR
commanded afr
ltft
maf V
rpm
throttle
ignition advance

and others

see of your afr and commanded afr follow each other under load and you have low say below 8% ltft.

remove any 02 spacers if you used them
check the 02 sensors are screwed in all the way so ring is not loose

then try flashing the stage 2 tune again. make sure its the petrol one not E85 version :-)
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
shellslinger (06-19-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 09:58 PM   #8
shellslinger

Thank you @steve99 I will check this out once I head out later in the evening.

Thank you all for your help.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:41 AM   #9
Hachirokublu

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Did you manage to figure out what the problem was. I'm facing something similar.
Hachirokublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:56 AM   #10
niceguy21
Socal Valley 86 Member

Drives: 2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5 & Scion FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hello All,

Can anyone help out?

Thanks
Most likely the ecu learning the new tune, last couple times I flashed using OFT, had the same issues. Rough idle, almost stalling, and very jumpy on throttle and unresponsive. After a couple miles/mins of driving it went away. I too was worried i did something wrong. Normal I guess you would say.
niceguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to niceguy21 For This Useful Post:
zc06_kisstherain (02-23-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 06:02 PM   #11
emran26

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
I've had this occur with the E85 tune weeks after flashing. Sometimes it feels like the car is going to stall.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:33 AM   #12
shellslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachirokublu View Post
Did you manage to figure out what the problem was. I'm facing something similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emran26 View Post
I've had this occur with the E85 tune weeks after flashing. Sometimes it feels like the car is going to stall.
Sorry for not replying sooner.

Unfortunately, never did figure out the problem. But what I did do was updated the tunes and made sure the tunes for CA was for 91 Octane only. After that I did that, no more issues. Ran like normal except for the dead pedal which went away after 25-40 miles of driving.