follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-23-2014, 11:45 PM   #1
Ducaroo

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Kiramek Alarm System

So my 2013 BRZ Limited MT was broken into this past week and I thought it was about time to upgrade the security system. I'm sure most of you know how the onboard security system works, but for those who don't know, its basically just an anti-theft system...meaning it only works when somebody is trying to steal the car. (I'm sure there's going to be those who say I shouldn't be disclosing that type of information online, but there are other resources where thieves can obtain this information as well.

One of my biggest concerns about the car when I first purchased it was that somebody would smash the window to try to steal my belongings. For that reason, I do not keep anything of too much value in the car and if I do, I don't have it in plain view. Well, that fear came true when somebody decided to smash the passenger window, in broad daylight I might add, to try to and locate some items of value. Unfortunately, all they could get there hands on were a pair of prescription sunglasses, a pair of junky prescription glasses and a vape/e-cig holder. The glasses were in my glove compartment and the vape holder was in the cup holder of the drivers door. The thieves had to jump through the window to be able to take that and thus, is leading to my review and recommendation of the alarm system I am about to talk about.

After this incident, I figured I should upgrade my alarm system. I've actually thought about it for awhile, but I just never thought I would be the one chosen for such a petty act. There were plenty of other alarm systems out there that will perform just about the same, maybe even better but the KIRAMEK alarm system was just easier to install. It was also the cheapest for what it is capable of.

I've chosen the KIRAMEK Vision 1480 for a couple of reasons.. It doesn't require another key fob, it is really simple to install (pretty much plug and play), its small, the shock sensor can be adjusted to be super sensitive and there are a couple of programmable features that can be set up after installation.

So let's get down to business. It took about a week for the system to come to my doorstep (the system came straight from Japan). Box was in good condition and everything that was promised was delivered. In the box, it comes with the main hub where all the connections are plugged into, the shock sensor, the program switch/alarm LED, siren, and all necessary cables, wires and hardware to complete installation. I just used a couple of sockets, electrical tape, scissors, velcro and a Phillips head screw driver to complete the install.

When I say simple to install, I mean its so simple, a person that knows how to read can set this up. It plugs directly into the OBDII port. This means no need to splice or cut wires. I did purchase an OBDII Y-splitter so I wouldn't have to lose the functionality of the port. If you don't do this, your personal settings you've made to the behavior of the alarm system will be reset. This system also allows you to use the factory key fob to control the alarm!

Everything plugs directly into the main hub. This can be installed wherever your heart desires. Just make sure that there is enough clearance for all the wires and such. As far as the program button/alarm LED, I decided to drill a hole next to the trunk button for easy access. It is held on by 3M tape. The shock sensor is recommended to be installed on a sturdy surface. I didn't want this to be too high in the cockpit so its right under the driver's side knee pad. This isn't a problem for me because I'm short and I drive with the seat all the way up. My knees won't be able to hit the sensor to knock it off or anything. For taller drivers, you might want to find another spot for this.

The last item to install is the siren. This is obviously installed under the hood of the car. In the box, the siren kit comes with the siren itself, a mounting bracket and hardware. There are three wires that come from the siren; a blue wire, a red wire and a black wire. The blue wire is looped back into the siren and can be cut to modify the sound of the siren blast. the black wire is for grounding/earthing and the red wire is for power. I've connected the black wire to the battery and the red wire has to be tapped to a brown wire that goes through the firewall and into the main hub.

After that is done, the next step is to program the system.You just have to unplug a 6-pin connector from the hub, turn the ignition on, hold down the program switch and then plug the 6-pin connector back into the hub. The siren will sound and the installation is complete. Take a step out of the car and use your factory key fob to lock and unlock the car! When you do this, you will hear an annoying blast from the siren as well as the factory beep. The siren noise can be programmed to not sound when you lock/unlock the vehicle. Though it might sound difficult, I was able to complete this install in just under two hours.

From there, you can customize the behavior of the alarm to whatever you'd like. I've gone ahead and set the system to lock my doors when I hit about 20mph. Another good thing about this alarm is that for MT cars, if your doors are locked they will unlock when you pull that e-brake. This was a huge plus for me because its just one of those things you don't have to think about anymore. There are other things that you can do with the alarm, but I will leave that up to you and the sales rep to discuss because I don't want to give out false info.

This system was fairly priced compared to the other systems out there and I was able to install it myself. Sometimes I forget that I even have an aftermarket alarm (which is a good thing!). I highly recommend this product if you're looking to upgrade your alarm system and don't want to pay the couple hundred dollars for the system AND installation. No need to cut wires, no need to tap into your factory harness, no need to carry another key fob in your pocket, just plug it, set it and forget it. This system is CONFIRMED to work with both the BRZ and the FRS.

The sales rep was quick to respond to my inquiry and was very knowledgeable and helpful throughout this process. He told me how it was going to be installed, how it functions and was able to clarify almost anything I could think of before I even paid for the thing. I do apologize for this being fairly long without photos...I don't think it would be very wise to show where I've installed my alarm system. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns about this system, shoot me a PM or contact the sales rep! His info is below.

James Wages

Int’l Sales Manager
KIRAMEK, Inc.
TEL: +81-569-20-5585
FAX: +81-569-20-5586
EMAIL: <sales@kiramek.com>
WEB: <http://www.kiramek.com/english/>
Ducaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ducaroo For This Useful Post:
GA_Dave (05-02-2015), niceguy21 (02-21-2015), Ornelas66 (03-24-2015), Pointmutation (02-15-2016)
Old 02-21-2015, 11:26 PM   #2
niceguy21
Socal Valley 86 Member

Drives: 2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5 & Scion FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducaroo View Post
So my 2013 BRZ Limited MT was broken into this past week and I thought it was about time to upgrade the security system. I'm sure most of you know how the onboard security system works, but for those who don't know, its basically just an anti-theft system...meaning it only works when somebody is trying to steal the car. (I'm sure there's going to be those who say I shouldn't be disclosing that type of information online, but there are other resources where thieves can obtain this information as well.

One of my biggest concerns about the car when I first purchased it was that somebody would smash the window to try to steal my belongings. For that reason, I do not keep anything of too much value in the car and if I do, I don't have it in plain view. Well, that fear came true when somebody decided to smash the passenger window, in broad daylight I might add, to try to and locate some items of value. Unfortunately, all they could get there hands on were a pair of prescription sunglasses, a pair of junky prescription glasses and a vape/e-cig holder. The glasses were in my glove compartment and the vape holder was in the cup holder of the drivers door. The thieves had to jump through the window to be able to take that and thus, is leading to my review and recommendation of the alarm system I am about to talk about.

After this incident, I figured I should upgrade my alarm system. I've actually thought about it for awhile, but I just never thought I would be the one chosen for such a petty act. There were plenty of other alarm systems out there that will perform just about the same, maybe even better but the KIRAMEK alarm system was just easier to install. It was also the cheapest for what it is capable of.

I've chosen the KIRAMEK Vision 1480 for a couple of reasons.. It doesn't require another key fob, it is really simple to install (pretty much plug and play), its small, the shock sensor can be adjusted to be super sensitive and there are a couple of programmable features that can be set up after installation.

So let's get down to business. It took about a week for the system to come to my doorstep (the system came straight from Japan). Box was in good condition and everything that was promised was delivered. In the box, it comes with the main hub where all the connections are plugged into, the shock sensor, the program switch/alarm LED, siren, and all necessary cables, wires and hardware to complete installation. I just used a couple of sockets, electrical tape, scissors, velcro and a Phillips head screw driver to complete the install.

When I say simple to install, I mean its so simple, a person that knows how to read can set this up. It plugs directly into the OBDII port. This means no need to splice or cut wires. I did purchase an OBDII Y-splitter so I wouldn't have to lose the functionality of the port. If you don't do this, your personal settings you've made to the behavior of the alarm system will be reset. This system also allows you to use the factory key fob to control the alarm!

Everything plugs directly into the main hub. This can be installed wherever your heart desires. Just make sure that there is enough clearance for all the wires and such. As far as the program button/alarm LED, I decided to drill a hole next to the trunk button for easy access. It is held on by 3M tape. The shock sensor is recommended to be installed on a sturdy surface. I didn't want this to be too high in the cockpit so its right under the driver's side knee pad. This isn't a problem for me because I'm short and I drive with the seat all the way up. My knees won't be able to hit the sensor to knock it off or anything. For taller drivers, you might want to find another spot for this.

The last item to install is the siren. This is obviously installed under the hood of the car. In the box, the siren kit comes with the siren itself, a mounting bracket and hardware. There are three wires that come from the siren; a blue wire, a red wire and a black wire. The blue wire is looped back into the siren and can be cut to modify the sound of the siren blast. the black wire is for grounding/earthing and the red wire is for power. I've connected the black wire to the battery and the red wire has to be tapped to a brown wire that goes through the firewall and into the main hub.

After that is done, the next step is to program the system.You just have to unplug a 6-pin connector from the hub, turn the ignition on, hold down the program switch and then plug the 6-pin connector back into the hub. The siren will sound and the installation is complete. Take a step out of the car and use your factory key fob to lock and unlock the car! When you do this, you will hear an annoying blast from the siren as well as the factory beep. The siren noise can be programmed to not sound when you lock/unlock the vehicle. Though it might sound difficult, I was able to complete this install in just under two hours.

From there, you can customize the behavior of the alarm to whatever you'd like. I've gone ahead and set the system to lock my doors when I hit about 20mph. Another good thing about this alarm is that for MT cars, if your doors are locked they will unlock when you pull that e-brake. This was a huge plus for me because its just one of those things you don't have to think about anymore. There are other things that you can do with the alarm, but I will leave that up to you and the sales rep to discuss because I don't want to give out false info.

This system was fairly priced compared to the other systems out there and I was able to install it myself. Sometimes I forget that I even have an aftermarket alarm (which is a good thing!). I highly recommend this product if you're looking to upgrade your alarm system and don't want to pay the couple hundred dollars for the system AND installation. No need to cut wires, no need to tap into your factory harness, no need to carry another key fob in your pocket, just plug it, set it and forget it. This system is CONFIRMED to work with both the BRZ and the FRS.

The sales rep was quick to respond to my inquiry and was very knowledgeable and helpful throughout this process. He told me how it was going to be installed, how it functions and was able to clarify almost anything I could think of before I even paid for the thing. I do apologize for this being fairly long without photos...I don't think it would be very wise to show where I've installed my alarm system. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns about this system, shoot me a PM or contact the sales rep! His info is below.

James Wages

Int’l Sales Manager
KIRAMEK, Inc.
TEL: +81-569-20-5585
FAX: +81-569-20-5586
EMAIL: <sales@kiramek.com>
WEB: <http://www.kiramek.com/english/>

Hey Ducaroo,

For how much did you buy the system? The other day they broke into my car and I'm interested in buying one myself.
niceguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:42 AM   #3
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tint helps too...makes it harder to see what's inside, and makes the glass a teeny bit harder to break...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
niceguy21 (02-23-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 12:12 AM   #4
Ducaroo

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy21 View Post
Hey Ducaroo,

For how much did you buy the system? The other day they broke into my car and I'm interested in buying one myself.
Sorry for the really late reply and for what happened with your car! I got the system for 200 shipped. That is more on the expensive side for an alarm, but I bit the bullet because I wanted something that was more "OEM." The sensor works great for vibration and I actually had to adjust it to be less sensitive but when the alarm goes off, it would be very hard to not notice it. Again, sorry about your car...I still have dents on the side of my door from it that won't be fixed but its not nearly as painful as seeing what happened to your car
Ducaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:30 PM   #5
niceguy21
Socal Valley 86 Member

Drives: 2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5 & Scion FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Sorry for the really late reply and for what happened with your car! I got the system for 200 shipped. That is more on the expensive side for an alarm, but I bit the bullet because I wanted something that was more "OEM." The sensor works great for vibration and I actually had to adjust it to be less sensitive but when the alarm goes off, it would be very hard to not notice it. Again, sorry about your car...I still have dents on the side of my door from it that won't be fixed but its not nearly as painful as seeing what happened to your car
It's all good, was wondering if you were still active in the forums. Where did you buy the system, direct from the manufacturer? or onlineI Japanese retailer? I still haven't bought an alarm and haven't parked my car anywhere else but my garage.
niceguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:49 PM   #6
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Any US distributors for this thing or is the only way to get it is to get direct from Japan?

EDIT: Apparently not, have to go directly to Kiramek for International sales. Looks interesting from the videos I saw on youtube. I think I'll check this out. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by Foobar; 05-04-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:26 PM   #7
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
@Ducaroo - Mind sharing where you mounted the siren within the engine compartment? I was trying to find a good place to mount it but I'm at a loss. Also, did you have to get different nuts/bolts to mount the bracket to the chassis somewhere? I have four sets of nuts/bolts but they look to be the kind designed to hold the siren into the bracket. I'm not sure if the two extra sets are backups or if they're used to mount the bracket to the chassis - if the latter, how the heck do you tighten them - it's just a flat square plate on the end?

EDIT: I guess Ducaroo doesn't come around here very often, but I was able to mount the siren on the driver's side of the engine compartment using an existing bolt right above/in front of the tire wheel. Perfect place for it, high up where it won't get splashed on, and allows the siren to face downwards to prevent water from pulling into the siren.

Install was very easy, no splicing required, just had to fish the siren wires through the firewall, attach ground to an existing nut that I ground other aftermarket things to in the kickpanel, then 3M and zip ties to tuck everything away.

System works great out of the box. Only optional feature I turned on was the auto-lock doors once you hit 15 MPH or something like that. It auto unlocks when you engage the parking brake. This is more like other cars I've owned before.

If anyone else gets this and needs some guidance on installation, hit me up and I'll be happy to share what worked for me.

Last edited by Foobar; 05-18-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Foobar For This Useful Post:
Pointmutation (02-15-2016)

Tags
alarm system, brz/frs alarm system, kiramek, sciborg 540, vision 1480