follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 05-04-2017, 01:39 PM   #2241
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyFunk View Post
I believe you can still pass the smog test even if you have the original fixed tune instead of the carb tune as long you dont do any additional mods like header, e85. Pretty much anything visual when the tester opens the engine bay other than the supercharger itself. I got the carb sticker and the carb tune but never uploaded the carb tune and stuck with the original fixed tune after reading the issues people were posting here in regards to the carb tune. I asked an engineer at Edelbrock way back when my car was their test car If I can pass smog with the current tune I had and he said yes. Now if he is 100 percent correct, I don't know?! Anybody have any input on this in regards to passing smog with the non carb tune originally from edelbrock?
Passing smog =/= CARB legal. There's a distinction there.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (05-08-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 03:51 PM   #2242
paiceyfan

Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by taiguy View Post
went away when I switched to the delicious tune (sorry that doesn't help if you need CARB compliance).

I can back this statement up...the issues went away with the Delicious v21 tune and a little refinement from Zach.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:14 PM   #2243
FuzzyFunk

Drives: FRS Monogram
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Passing smog =/= CARB legal. There's a distinction there.
Mike you are absolutely right. I should have phrased my question better. Other than doing rigorous testing, is there anyway authorities can prove that your supercharger is not carb compliant when you have the sticker and everything else is oem? Its not like they are actually going to look at your tune and say this is not the carb tune right?

I don't understand why so many us here in California want to keep the CARB tune when we know that the older non-carb version is the better one.
FuzzyFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:28 PM   #2244
Dan37BRZ
Senior Citizen

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
For those who are on the Delicious tune with no hesitation and smooth power are you guys running it with the D-Box?
Dan37BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:33 PM   #2245
paiceyfan

Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan37BRZ View Post
For those who are on the Delicious tune with no hesitation and smooth power are you guys running it with the D-Box?
I am not, following advice from an authorized installer, who arranged the tune, too.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2017, 01:02 AM   #2246
Dan37BRZ
Senior Citizen

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Mike you are absolutely right. I should have phrased my question better. Other than doing rigorous testing, is there anyway authorities can prove that your supercharger is not carb compliant when you have the sticker and everything else is oem? Its not like they are actually going to look at your tune and say this is not the carb tune right?

I don't understand why so many us here in California want to keep the CARB tune when we know that the older non-carb version is the better one.
Any chance we can still get the original Non-CARB version from Edelbrock?
Dan37BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:10 AM   #2247
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
no, they can't...

Quote:

If you have a carb sticker and no reason to fail a visual, you will be fine, and you'll pass too. The only thing that smog check stations check for is that the check engine codes work and that all smog equipment is there. They may or may not know or will look up what the EO number for the supercharger requires for the visual but they have no way of knowing whether the tune you have loaded is the carb tune or not.

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:32 PM   #2248
FuzzyFunk

Quote:
Any chance we can still get the original Non-CARB version from Edelbrock?
Doesn't hurt to ask them I guess? Others on the forum maybe able to give you a copy. I dont have copy of that one since that was originally came with my sc. they gave me a copy of the carb tune.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:32 PM   #2249
FuzzyFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
If you have a carb sticker and no reason to fail a visual, you will be fine, and you'll pass too. The only thing that smog check stations check for is that the check engine codes work and that all smog equipment is there. They may or may not know or will look up what the EO number for the supercharger requires for the visual but they have no way of knowing whether the tune you have loaded is the carb tune or not.

Jaden
Thank you!
Old 05-08-2017, 11:34 AM   #2250
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Drives: 2018 BRZ Ts - CWP
Garage
Well, I finally finished my install this weekend. All is running great, in fact so far no hiccups at all. No leaks, jerkiness, heat issues and so far no CEL. And,
the power is undeniable. Its not the fastest car I have owned, but this kit really compliments this car very well. All the power is useable, unlike my previous turbo setup. Which was fun, and made more overall power...but it was much harder to use. I like having more low range torque, but the car still shines in the high revs. So the character was unchanged.

Now, there were 4 things to note while installing this kit onto a 17mY BRZ. Two of them I discussed quite a bit a couple pages back, but I will list them all the same.

1. Alternator - Pin/stud for power cable: You must clock this pin from midnight to about 1:30 or 2o'clock.

2. Alternator - Monitor cable: You must make your own pigtail cable (low profile) to not interfere with the housing of the Supercharger. In addition the female connector on the alternator will need to be trimmed slightly to also make room for the SC.

3. ECU Mounting bracket: This is the cover that the ECU is bolted too, and covers your passenger side fuel rail assy. The 17MY bracket has two attachment points (not found on the early MY cars_that secure to the new (red) intake manifold. However these need to be trimmed as they occupy the same space as the runner on the EBSC.

4. Throttle Body o-ring/gasket: The EBSC was design to reuse the OEM o-ring that fits between the throttle body and the intake of the EBSC. But he 17MY cars don't use an o-ring they use a gasket. Now, so far I don't see any issues. But I simply stuck the TB w/gasket onto the EBSC (leaving the groove for the oring empty) and so far I have no issues. But still this was a difference that should be noted.

Those are the 4 items that saw were different with the newer MY cars. There could be more I suppose, but none that seemed to cause an issue. Pics for reference are below. If I knew how to get my pics in the main body of my post I would. But everytime I post a pic it sends it to the bottom of my post. So sorry for the bad formatting.

The last photo is special one from my wife.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1494257552

Attached Images

Last edited by brzaapi; 05-08-2017 at 11:52 AM.
brzaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brzaapi For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-09-2017), shiumai (05-08-2017), Yoda (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 12:14 PM   #2251
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
How long before someone asks if you want to sell your red intake manifold...?
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:47 PM   #2252
bshown

Drives: is300
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Part throttle acceleration is where it definitely needs work, if you're cruising along lets say in 3rd or 4th gear at 2.5-3k RPMS, and you give it partial throttle (1/4 to 1/2 pedal travel) to accelerate smoothly, there is this jerky surging acceleration feeling to it. Not smooth at all. I'm almost positive it's tune related because a few other owners with the CARB tune have similar experiences, which apparently didn't occur in the original non-CARB tune they released. I'm guessing Edelbrock had their hands tied, it probably wasn't easy to get CARB certified and maybe compromises were made with the tune to pass at the expense of introducing some drivability issues, though I'm no emissions/tuning expert.

Other than the weird jerky/hesitation/surging feeling acceleration at part throttle, the kit feels great in half to full throttle situations. I have no issues with idle either, with or without the AC on once the car is warm. The only weird anomaly are first starts in the morning, the car will start and RPMS will jump to 2k to warm up the car for 5-10 seconds, then drop to 1k, then jump back up to 2k for a few seconds then back down to 1k and then level out.
THIS. We are still having issues with the jerkiness on our kit and the owner of the car is not happy about it. I'm so glad it's not just us so if you could send some logs to Edelbrock that would help. The kit is way too nice fit and finish to drive like it does. We don't have emissions testing and we would gladly revert back to a non CARB tune but EB wouldn't send it to me.
bshown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bshown For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 01:48 PM   #2253
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Drives: 2018 BRZ Ts - CWP
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
How long before someone asks if you want to sell your red intake manifold...?
I don't know, but I am happy to sell it.
brzaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:53 PM   #2254
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzaapi View Post
I don't know, but I am happy to sell it.
Really? When you go to sell the car eventually you will get more money for it reverting to stock and selling the Edelbrock kit separately.

I'm sure you won't have any problem selling it if you decide to though.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote