follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-29-2015, 05:00 PM   #15
Mad_Mike

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS firestorm
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by btoast View Post
I wonder which would be better overall the JDL or Nameless w/ Helmholtz? From what I have read the Helmholtz resonator works to eliminate a specific frequency that Nameless has tuned using their own header. I wonder if it will not work as well if you use a different header (like my RevWorks, for example).
From my experience the nameless catted/resonated front/over pipe does extremely well at cutting out drone on highway at 84mph (car sounds dead quiet stock). But with a header added introduced obnoxious metallic pinging in the middle of rpm range with wide open throttle...even after they retrofitted my pipe to the new version.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:21 PM   #16
the new guy

Drives: 2014 Asphalt FR-S/2018 Thunder GT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Mike View Post
From my experience the nameless catted/resonated front/over pipe does extremely well at cutting out drone on highway at 84mph (car sounds dead quiet stock). But with a header added introduced obnoxious metallic pinging in the middle of rpm range with wide open throttle...even after they retrofitted my pipe to the new version.

Dangit I thought they fixed that issue. Is your header catless?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2015, 05:25 PM   #17
btoast

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
That sucks. Aside from the pinging, did you hear a considerable difference between stock headers and aftermarket with the nameless? Having a catless header and cat back (Zeta, I believe it's about the same as the Perrin Resonated), I would like to get a front pipe that will not increase my exhaust noise too much, if at all. My list in order of interest is:

JDL Ultra Quiet
Nameless
Magnaflow (<---- this one may actually be better than people think, just too few people have purchased it to review)

Last edited by btoast; 05-29-2015 at 05:28 PM. Reason: More info
btoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:48 PM   #18
the new guy

Quote:
That sucks. Aside from the pinging, did you hear a considerable difference between stock headers and aftermarket with the nameless? Having a catless header and cat back (Zeta, I believe it's about the same as the Perrin Resonated), I would like to get a front pipe that will not increase my exhaust noise too much, if at all. My list in order of interest is:

JDL Ultra Quiet
Nameless
Magnaflow (<---- this one may actually be better than people think, just too few people have purchased it to review)

I believe @ATL_BRZ had the magnaflow and replaced it due to 2.3" piping

Old 05-29-2015, 11:18 PM   #19
Mad_Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by the new guy View Post
Dangit I thought they fixed that issue. Is your header catless?

The retro fit is a lot quieter and more tolerable. I'd say 80% better. My header is catted.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:29 PM   #20
Mad_Mike

Quote:

JDL Ultra Quiet
Nameless
I initially had a nameless axleback which I loved but was louder than i wanted at low speeds and highway cruise. I then installed the nameless catted/resonated front/over pipe and it was in my opinion the holy grail of exhaust notes. It was now quieter on highway and low speeds but at wide open throttle above 4k and on cold starts it was louder.

Torque dip was still there so I got a JDL catted el header. The pinging and volume was so bad I put the stock muffler back on in < 24 hours. Got the nameless pipe retrofitted and its better, sold the axle back but don't have funds to try out a quieter catback. Exhaust now just sounds like a louder version of stock with pinging and it makes me sad...I'll fix it some day.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:45 PM   #21
the new guy

Quote:
I initially had a nameless axleback which I loved but was louder than i wanted at low speeds and highway cruise. I then installed the nameless catted/resonated front/over pipe and it was in my opinion the holy grail of exhaust notes. It was now quieter on highway and low speeds but at wide open throttle above 4k and on cold starts it was louder.

Torque dip was still there so I got a JDL catted el header. The pinging and volume was so bad I put the stock muffler back on in < 24 hours. Got the nameless pipe retrofitted and its better, sold the axle back but don't have funds to try out a quieter catback. Exhaust now just sounds like a louder version of stock with pinging and it makes me sad...I'll fix it some day.

Ugh. I have a catless JDL so I could expect similar results that would be even louder. I was hoping to pair the nameless with a tanabe g single exit but who knows now. I'll probably just throw a track pipe on there now and stay stock on the street