follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #197
Mr 286

Drives: 2014 Camry SE V6 | 1991 MR2 Turbo
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monogram View Post
You were hit causing major damage to your car, then the engine blew up because you had major damage to your car, and now you call it a lemon?

You personally examined my car and figured out what caused my engine to fail? Or are you qualifying your statement based only on what I've said in this thread? Oh, I forgot you already told us. You were able to determine this based on 20+ years of experience, and a junior college certificate of participation.

I mentioned earlier that I brought the car in with complaints about rattles, engine/transmission noises and other issues BEFORE the fender bender. You pretty much don't know what you're talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2014, 01:31 PM   #198
unsurety
aeiou

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
For that price anyone could get a c6z and have money for a simple heads cam package and make a bunch more power and have a superior handling car. This seems overpriced to say the least. "Have it your way" is basically offering someone a massive dildo to shove up their ass BUT they have the option of choosing the method in which it is inserted....
unsurety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #199
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Monogram is being rough but I think he has a point, $11k worth if front end damage followed by a failure does not make a lemon in my book. The force from the impact is not only shown visibly, any significant bump could propogate to somewhere unexpected, it is not unreasonable to assume that the shock somehow disturbed the harmony of your engine. Its why so many people stay the hell away from salvage/rebuilt titled cars, you just never know.

I really hope you find something that makes you happy and it sucks that your Toyobaru didn't work out.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:02 PM   #200
Mr 286

Quote:
You brought your vehicle in for the crickets and an axle clank sound, and now it has grown into "rattles, engine/transmission noises and other issues."

Your vehicle sustained $11,000.00 worth of damage to the front end, and damage to the harness that controls the electronics. Your engine then failed.

Why didn't your engine fail prior to the $11,000.00 worth of front end damage? Because the accident damaged something that caused your engine failure.

Now you state your car was a "lemon."

It's laughable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr 286 View Post
I have heard that exact same rattle on 2 occasions several thousand miles between happening; and both times it went away completely before happening again.

Now, I know you don't want to hear this, but it happened again one more time except it didn't go away that time. The result was I towed the car to the dealer, and they ended up having to order me a new short block as the motor had failed. I'm still waiting for them to get my new engine working properly so I can get my car back.

I sincerely hope your rattling is an unrelated cause, and that your motor is fine, but I had to share the info either way. If you get it resolved, please share.

Ok, my bad. I stated I've had issues with it before in different threads. Either way, you don't know what killed that engine. You didn't drive it for two years, you don't know how well it was maintained, you don't know how many miles were on it before and after the accident, and you weren't there to experience any of the issues I had before and after the accident. So you basically still don't know what you're talking about.

There was a guy that told me he used to come to this forum who owned a Hot Lava 6MT here in Vegas. I only met him in person, never chatted with him on here but maybe you can find his posts. After an oil change, the mechanic found fools gold in the oil. Car was stock with no accidents. I don't know how he drove it, but it would be speculation anyway if I blamed him. You asked for proof, and shot down every person who brought anything forward because of intakes, driver skill, your disbelief of any evidence that doesn't support your argument or whatever criteria works for you at the moment.

You don't want to believe that this car can have these problems without an accident and/or mods and that's fine. I say good luck to you with yours and I really hope it never has any issues like this. This car is steadily having more reported problems and barely makes under 200 HP with 12.5:1 compression and DI on 93 octane? Ridiculous.

A 3S-GE Beams engine with 11.0:1 compression and 91 Octane made the same power and more torque on the exact same displacement in the 1990's. Guys in the MR2 club with them have been running for years on used JDM motors with over 100,000 miles on them with virtually no problems, no crickets, no bad axles, no cam timing issues, no ECU re-flash, no torque dip, no tip-in knock and basically no bullshit.

So, I know you're proud of your car, so just keep believing it's as awesome and perfect as you want it to be. As I've said before, I'm going to wait on the sideline for now to see how they are with long-term ownership before I decide if I want to pick up a used one as a track car.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:16 PM   #201
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
SW20 guys, I just can't seem to get along with one.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #202
Mr 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
SW20 guys, I just can't seem to get along with one.
I don't believe the SW20 is perfect either. I think the 86 is a better car in almost every way but the engine.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:29 PM   #203
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

So, I know you're proud of your car, so just keep believing it's as awesome and perfect as you want it to be. As I've said before, I'm going to wait on the sideline for now to see how they are with long-term ownership before I decide if I want to pick up a used one as a track car.
Nobody is saying the car is perfect. What you described as a lemon is basically a few early production issues. Sounds like your engine issue
was probably accident related. Shops can screw up something simple and take out an engine.
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #204
Mr 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem53 View Post
Nobody is saying the car is perfect. What you described as a lemon is basically a few early production issues. Sounds like your engine issue
was probably accident related. Shops can screw up something simple and take out an engine.
I agree that shops can screw up and take out an engine. Here is my problem with Monogram's posts however: He presents us with this false dilemma that if your engine failed and it had mods or an accident, then it MUST follow that your accident or mods caused the engine to fail.

I never completely ruled out the accident. I just think there are other possibilities that you have to explore. The car had an oil change a week before the sudden failure. For all I know, the tech started it with no oil and the engine was fine post accident.

Or, based on what I've heard from other owners with problems, the engine might have a potential issue with the lubrication system. I have had rattles and other noises come and go that I've told the dealer about before. None of it was able to be reproduced until this failure besides the pilot bearing noise which they fixed by replacing the bearing under warranty.

My dealer never asked me if I raced the car or abused it, and they told me they didn't find evidence that the prior accident was the cause. All they found was metal in the pan, and based on their assessment the top end of the motor was fine. They were just as baffled as I was, and they didn't even blame the accident even though I provided them with the complete invoice from the insurance company for all repairs made to the car due to the accident.

All I'm saying is don't assume you know something when you don't. Could it have been the accident? Maybe, but none of us knows that for sure.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:58 PM   #205
Mr 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Monogram is being rough but I think he has a point, $11k worth if front end damage followed by a failure does not make a lemon in my book. The force from the impact is not only shown visibly, any significant bump could propogate to somewhere unexpected, it is not unreasonable to assume that the shock somehow disturbed the harmony of your engine. Its why so many people stay the hell away from salvage/rebuilt titled cars, you just never know.

I really hope you find something that makes you happy and it sucks that your Toyobaru didn't work out.
Yeah, this one still has a clean title, so hopefully they get an engine in it that actually works, and someone is able to enjoy it. I was going to stick with it if they got the motor swap to work out. Once they told me they pulled the motor in and out about 4 times after they performed the swap I was done with that particular car, and the 86 in general if it's that much of a pain in the ass when you do have a problem.

@Annahra had an accident with motor swap that I think wasn't going well so he grabbed another BRZ altogether if I recall.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:41 PM   #206
Annahra

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
@Annahra had an accident with motor swap that I think wasn't going well so she grabbed another BRZ altogether if I recall.
Whole story here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61452

No issues AFAIK with the new short block other than it took them six or eight weeks. I lasted two before I decided I didn't want the headache and started talking to my salesman to see if we could work something out. They did the trade with my old car sitting in their service department with an empty engine bay, lol.
Annahra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:24 AM   #207
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Smile

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
1)"Replaced fuel pump for cricket noise (didn't resolve issue)"
The HPFP has never been found to be a dangerous cause of failure.
2)"Replaced both tail lamp assemblies for water leaks (leaked again anyway lol)
Retorque loose rear axle nut for clank sound during accel/decel"
Neither are engine related, so has nothing to do with the failure
3)
One accident - pickup truck backed into it
$11,000 in parts/labor. Non mechanical
99% cosmetic aside from new fuse block and complete engine harness

The first problem is that you were throwing the term Lemon out without basis this is the definition: Vehicles are called "lemons" if the same problem recurs despite multiple repair attempts (such as three times in a row over a short period, where previous attempts have not fixed the problem) or where defects have caused a new vehicle to be out of service for a prolonged period (typically thirty days or longer) for repairs.

So in the end it's either the shop that damaged the motor repairing it incorrectly electronics wise, or your claim of the oil change being done incorrectly. My bet is on the accident that you and the mechanics refuse to admit as the cause of failure because they simply don't want to believe their handy work caused this mess.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #208
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Jeez, this is still going, lol
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
Mr 286 (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 02:50 PM   #209
Mr 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Jeez, this is still going, lol

No, it isn't. I'm done wasting my time arguing about essentially nothing. I'm ashamed I let it get this far to be honest. Sorry Monogram, I'm not answering anymore of your questions. I consider this matter closed.

I've resolved my issue in my own way. I have a great new daily driver that didn't put a dent in my spending fund, and so far I'm loving it. I enjoyed my time with the 86 as a daily, and may come back to it as a project car to replace my MR2 one day if I decide I only want to budget for around the $30k-$40k range. I do have other hobbies, but this one is by far the one that costs the most.

If I offended anyone, that wasn't my intention. Well, except for you @Monogram but I'm sure we were just as annoying to each other as we probably were to people reading this thread. No excuses for my behavior, but I'm sure you can understand that anyone would be at least a little annoyed about the whole experience I had. Little intermittent problems. Then after the accident I was near trading it immediately. I could have lived with the engine failure temporarily. It didn't put me off until I found out how difficult a time they were having replacing it.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #210
Davey

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Where did I state that this engine is "indestructible?"
You didn't. It's called hyperbole, look it up in a dictionary or something.
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blown engine